Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

D'oh !

(7 Posts)
Esmay Thu 21-Sep-23 08:16:37

I have to laugh .

Last week , I noticed what I thought were bra slips - just like the ones that I used to wear .
That's a great idea , I thought . A bra slip smooths out lumpy bits and would be warm now Autumn is beginning .

Apart from buying a couple , which are too big and not being able to find the receipt - I couldn't find them in the shop .
I asked an assistant .
All underwear is upstairs .
I looked upstairs and asked another assistant .
No luck .
Came downstairs and found them .
Gosh , I thought these assistants are so overworked that they don't know their own stock .
One of them spoke to me and I asked her why the bra slips were in with the dresses .
They ARE dresses ,she said .
And we both laughed .
At the till , I shared it with an older employee and we both said that our parents would have called it "going out in your underwear "and we both would have been forbidden to wear one as a dress .

Watching Strictly at the weekend - I only recognised five of the celebrities .

I have to admit to feeling my age - 70 these days .

NotSpaghetti Mon 25-Sep-23 11:36:12

Just finding a decent "half-slip" was a pain recently. Nothing that I wanted anywhere...

I bought two "full-slips" online in the end... when they arrived, one was in fact, a dress!

Esmay Tue 26-Sep-23 18:27:24

What's happened to petticoats and slips ?

My grandmother wouldn't have gone out without one over her reinforced corset and huge bloomers .

I recall the layers even worn on a boiling hot day !

NotSpaghetti Wed 27-Sep-23 00:24:16

Ha ha, Esmay ... I just wanted something smooth and a bit stretchy to wear under a slightly clingy wedding outfit skirt! I didn't want the whole corset get-up!

(Though maybe that would have been easier!)

Esmay Wed 27-Sep-23 08:05:39

I've bought those go down a dress size slips ( from M and S ) and ended up going into the loo in restaurants to remove them as they are so uncomfortable . When you can't even eat your meal - there's no point in going out !

The "dress "that I bought from Primark has a slightly slimming /smooth out bumps effect .
They are too hot to wear when sunny , but should be okay as the weather cools .

MiniMoon Wed 27-Sep-23 10:09:42

I looked for a slip to wear under my summer dresses but could find none. I ended up buying what my husband refers to as Queen Victoria's knickers. 🤣

Esmay Thu 28-Sep-23 08:02:10

I think that petticoats are perhaps becoming a thing of the past .

I recall buying some in British Home Stores a few years ago .
M and S do still have them though they tend to be body shapers .
Primark have one style in stock now .
Their dress version is OK though I'm going to pad out the cups on the bra bit .

Otherwise , it's Amazon and after the purchase of some horrendous yoga pants - I'm cautious of buying from them .