Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Ageism in the workplace

(15 Posts)
Sharm11 Fri 29-Sep-23 21:34:02

I have worked in a school for nearly 20 years. I have increasingly felt I have been ignored, passed over for any new courses etc. The other day a colleague asked (“ you don’t have to answer this question”) if I have any plans for leaving. I am 67 years old so over the retirement age as people see it. However, this has completely knocked me for six. I feel there is a witch hunt, hoping I’m going etc. The person who asked is our HR manager, which makes me feel more sensitive. Is it me being oversensitive?

CanadianGran Fri 29-Sep-23 21:46:50

I hate to say it, but there is an expectation that people will retire any time after 60. I'm not sure of the size of your company, or the skill level of the job, but companies have to make an investment in training. They may have to weigh the pros and cons of offering training to someone they think may retire.

I personally wouldn't be offended if I was asked about plans at that age. They may value your experience and skills and want to know if you plan to be around for another 5 years, or they may want to so some succession planning to train more staff.

I hoped that I would never become that person who was a bit complacent, but I think to a certain degree I am. There is talk of a new software package coming to our company, which involves intensive training. I'm really hoping that it is scheduled to arrive after my loosely planned retirement (at 62). Honestly, I m not looking forward to a huge learning curve, and while I have been a lead in the past, I think I would defer to someone in the same department who is younger to take the lead in training.

If you are planning in staying in the workplace for as long as possible, let HR know you are enthusiastic and plan on offering your expertise for as long as possible. It may even lead to a promotion.

Fethiye53 Sun 10-Dec-23 14:33:42

I turned 70 and am still working. I do believe its against the law to ask someone about retirement. I work in the nhs. I have to get my head around new computer systems. Learn about other things relating to my job. So far nobody has attempted to get rid of me yet. I intend working for as long as my mind and physicality allow. I did retire and return so am semi retired.

RainbowsAndUnicorns1 Sun 10-Dec-23 16:41:32

My friends who are teachers have all been asked the same question when they reached a certain age. Basically, they were at the top of their pay scale and expensive. It was much cheaper to replace them with a couple of NQTs.

Marydoll Sun 10-Dec-23 16:48:22

I was off sick after an RA flare up, needing splints in both hands.
I requested a meeting with Occupational Health, because I needed a chair which suited my needs.
The first question I was asked was, I take it you are retiring? I was 59.

I often caused a stir when technicians and workmen came in looking for the IT Co-ordinator. Their faces were a picture, when this older, tiny and round lady appeared! How could I possibly know anything?
Ageism at its worst!

Marydoll Sun 10-Dec-23 16:49:02

RainbowsAndUnicorns1

My friends who are teachers have all been asked the same question when they reached a certain age. Basically, they were at the top of their pay scale and expensive. It was much cheaper to replace them with a couple of NQTs.

That's why my HT wanted rid of me, he could employ two teacher's for my salary.

Marydoll Sun 10-Dec-23 16:49:37

Oops teachers, sans apostrophe!

dogsmother Sun 10-Dec-23 20:49:43

I did retire 3 1/2 years ahead of my pension date.
I was working part time anyway but did get fed up of colleagues asking when I would leave. I’d definitely had enough and although there was no problems with anyone I felt out of place and that I was no longer happy. It probably only happened once or twice but it was enough.

Lauren59 Sun 10-Dec-23 21:07:20

I am a retired teacher. Younger colleagues privately referred to older teachers as “dinosaurs”. I was at the same school for nearly 30 years but definitely felt my perceived value diminish as I aged. Interestingly enough, my students learned to read better and their behavior at school was much better than students taught by my younger colleagues.

Harris27 Sun 10-Dec-23 21:15:40

Well this is interesting I’m 63 fast heading for 64 and a girl asked me the other day was I thinking of retiring and I replied” yes when I’m ready”. I am a nursery practitioner and will be dropping my hours soon.

Imarocker Mon 11-Dec-23 07:49:31

As an older teacher, I found that the pupils all wanted to be in my group when it came to studying for GCSE. I consistently got better results than my younger colleagues who also regularly overmarked their pupils.

Allsorts Mon 11-Dec-23 08:00:24

Whatever your age it’s how you do your job that matters. I found in a teaching environment being older was a positive. Didn’t have the behavioural problems with students that some others had.

Casdon Mon 11-Dec-23 08:10:48

I think to a degree it is you being over sensitive, because most people do retire at the state retirement age or sooner, so others are bound to wonder what your plans are. If you haven’t declared your intentions it’s difficult for HR to plan ahead to the next academic year. All you need to say is that you will be staying for the next year, two years or whatever, and most likely then nobody will ask you again until it comes to near the end of that period.

eazybee Mon 11-Dec-23 09:08:17

I am surprised you are still working, unquestioned, over sixty-five. I had to apply for permission to work until the end of the school year in which I was sixty-five. The Governors and Head got the facts about age wrong and I had to involve my union to spell out the terms and conditions before being granted permission, all for staying a few extra weeks until the end of the summer term.
With regard to courses, I was told I should apply for a course on teaching rugby when I was sixty-four!

treasurextra Tue 19-Dec-23 23:44:19

I got referred to twice rcently as an elderly lady. I'm 64, slim, fit and computer literate. I have a few wrinkles and have 4 grandchildren. I don't have a private pension therefore I work to pay the bills like 20 year old, oops sorry, 2p year old don't seem to work any more.