Gransnet forums

Food

jack's flapjacks

(18 Posts)
jack Tue 20-Mar-12 13:42:37

This is not a national or international problem. So serious gransnetters please look away.

On the other hand I did have a real cookery flop yesterday. I decided to make flapjacks for DD and DGchildren (not to mention) DH but haven't made flapjacks for years. Nor have I used my flapjack tin for years.

Result? Sticky flapjacks so sticky that DGD (aged 10) and I had to prise them out of the tin, put a few on a plate (between whispers) and then chuck the tin et al away.

I shall buy a new baking tray in the meantime but if anyone has an old-fashioned fool-proof flapjack recipe (the one I seem to have forgotten) please let me know.

bagitha Tue 20-Mar-12 13:59:13

I have. I think I've put it on the recipe doodah but I'll go and check.

bagitha Tue 20-Mar-12 14:01:10

Yep. It's this one: www.gransnet.com/recipes/dish/5426-Nutty-seedy-flapjack

I've recently reduced the amount of sugar to 100g. Works fine.

jack Tue 20-Mar-12 17:25:07

Thanks bagitha. You are a star.

bagitha Tue 20-Mar-12 17:58:12

jack, I tried to add a note to the recipe today but I'm not sure it shows. It said that the original recipe (from 30 years ago) was 6oz butter, 4oz sugar and 10oz rolled oats. I used to add a bit of crushed coriander seed. That fits in a standard Swiss Roll tin. From there the recipe I use now evolved. I do it in an oven-bottom tray, lined with baking parchment for ease of outing. Have fun!

yogagran Tue 20-Mar-12 19:02:08

I've just added the recipe that I use jack if you want to try another one.
I've also got a recipe for adding a chocolate and yogurt topping to the flapjack that's got lots of sultanas in the main part too. Adds drastically to the calorie content though!

jack Tue 20-Mar-12 19:30:02

You are all so wonderful and helpful. I think the use of baking parchment is a brilliant idea. Why didn't I think of it?

Did any of you make drop scones for the children when they came home from school? My mother did, and I followed suit. I know you can buy mini pancakes but (a) they are expensive and full of preservatives and (b) they aren't as nice as home-made ones.

bagitha Tue 20-Mar-12 19:41:04

Ooh, yes please, yoga! Could you put your yog and choc flapjack recipe on please?

bagitha Tue 20-Mar-12 19:43:00

Yes, I've made drop scones but DD prefers Parma ham in a soft roll when she gets in!

shysal Tue 20-Mar-12 19:51:50

I make these flapjack type slices which go down well on charity stalls and in lunch boxes although quite expensive to make and high on calories.
www.carnation.co.uk/recipes/biscuits-and-cookies/cherry-berry-fruit-bars

yogagran Tue 20-Mar-12 21:42:30

The flapjack topping (yogurt & white chocolate) recipe is now added to the recipe page. The recipes came from "The Pink Whisk" which is a website created by Ruth Clemens who was the winner of the first series of The Great British Bake Off. Her website is very helpful with lots of pictures to show just what your cooking should look like at various stages!

I often make drop scones - a great favourite with everyone. In our house they're called Bannocks. My Mum was a Scot and the recipe for bannocks came from her.

yogagran Tue 20-Mar-12 21:50:20

Ooooh - those Cherry Berry Fruit Bars sound delicious. Condensed milk - one of the things that I'm reluctant to buy as I usually finish it off by the spoonful straight from the tin. shock

shysal Wed 21-Mar-12 08:45:50

You can now buy lighter condensed milk, which tastes just as good. The caramel version is also great for instant banoffee pie. I use the website quite often for treats for family visits.

SoJaZRia Tue 29-May-12 16:16:52

If you are interested in a healthy alternative recipe for flapjacks look on www.feedingmyintolerantchild.com. They are delicious but not 'naughty' as they contain a low GI sugar alternative called agave nectar which, when partly substituted for the caster sugar, becomes a low calorie option. Although this website is primarily for children with allergies anyone who wants to produce healthy food can use the recipes.

Ariadne Tue 29-May-12 18:51:13

Good to see something not laden with sugar!

JessM Tue 29-May-12 19:12:02

Yes I guess you need something to stick the oats together if you want to make flapjacks. hmm
Welcome Jack - cooking counselling so much more restful than am-i-unreasonable-to-want-to-slaughter-my-mother-in-law counselling! I was going to do some food prep. Then I came home hungry and ate 4 bits of delicious multi seeded bread with butter. Packs of 2 from costco. smile

whenim64 Tue 29-May-12 19:30:21

I use agave syrup - they sell it in all the supermarkets now. It's not low calorie, but is low G.I. and you don't need much as it's ridiculously sweet.

Rosiebee Sun 03-Jun-12 13:57:24

I wanted to try a new cookie recipe out but was reluctant to buy a tin of condensed milk for the sake of 2 tbs of the sweet sticky stuff. but they now sell it in a squeezy bottle. Popped the bottle back in the fridge and might just get it out to try the Cherry Berry recipe. It did add a delicious flavour to the cookies. smile