Gransnet forums

Food

Preparing for Christmas

(80 Posts)
jeni Wed 18-Jul-12 20:55:15

Some people are allready in the swing!
Are you?

Deedaa Sat 13-Oct-12 15:33:36

I've got 3 birthdays to go before Christmas and one straight after and another grandchild due on Boxing Day so Christmas tends to be a bit of an afterthought! Had a note from the post office this week saying that if we're on benefits we can buy stamps at the old price so I must find the paperwork before I forget!

glassortwo Thu 11-Oct-12 14:10:45

vampire thats sounds like a perfect plan, I now just need to action it grin

vampirequeen Thu 11-Oct-12 13:53:32

What will I do in the next two months? I'll go for walks... I'll relax... I'll chill whilst society starts the panic buying for the midwinter consumer festival. I won't get swept up into the spendfest. I will take my time to do my food preparations. I'll feed the fruitcake with brandy and gradually stock up my food cupboards.

If all goes to plan I'll do my last food shop on the Friday. Then on the Saturday we'll collect our children from their mother. Sunday we're going to to a nearby stately home to see it decorated and visit Santa. Monday (Christmas Eve) we'll take the children to the cinema and before we know it.....yay it's the big day.

Grannyeggs Thu 11-Oct-12 12:13:25

Oh vampirequeen I do admire you! I will start next week. Actually I did buy stamps at the old price but I have no idea where I put them.hmm

annodomini Thu 11-Oct-12 12:10:10

VQ what are you going to do for the next two months?

vampirequeen Thu 11-Oct-12 11:53:36

I've bought and wrapped all the presents. Got the special cards from Moonpig. Method in my madness though. Argos and ASDA toys are on special offer and Morrison's is offering money off petrol when you buy gift vouchers.

Once I'd bought the presents it only seemed sensible to get them wrapped so that even if they're accidently seen no can can know what they're getting.

Started buying the little extras .....supermarkets have quality street on offer atm. Can't have Christmas without a tin of Quality Street lol.

Notsogrand Wed 10-Oct-12 19:11:55

Like your style merlot grin

merlotgran Wed 10-Oct-12 19:03:16

Two years ago I decided not to send any Christmas cards and told friends and family not to bother to send any to us. The place looked really bare without them so last year I sent out loads on the 1st December to give everyone a chance to put us back on their list. grin

Notsogrand Wed 10-Oct-12 19:01:59

I do send e cards every now and then, mainly for one-off situations or spontaneous messages.....but you can't hang them up on a ribbon over the fireplace can you? smile

Gillr Wed 10-Oct-12 18:57:32

Never thought about stamps until too late
What is everyone else doing? I love receiving Christmas cards with all the interesting messages in and e cards are not the same. Really don't know what to do.smile

merlotgran Tue 09-Oct-12 22:58:54

Thanks, glass I've lost the will to live confused grin

glassortwo Tue 09-Oct-12 22:51:42

Right....
If you receive Pension Credit, Employment and Support Allowance or Incapacity Benefit, you can buy up to 36 stamps in either books of 6 or 12 at Christmas 2011 prices. You can take up the offer at Post Office branches between 6th November and Christmas Eve.
When you go to the post office you need to take a letter from DWP or Post Office Card Account statement, docs must be dated within the last 12 months and must name the relevant benefits.
You need voucher form RMSOE12....fill in boxes on voucher along with proof of eligibility take to the counter of any Post Office.

If you need a form www.royalmail.com/stampoffer or call 08456 016 248

merlotgran Tue 09-Oct-12 22:45:19

BTW notso, that's a good idea about the £20 notes. My teenage GCs either want money or Amazon tokens these days. I also bought second class stamps way back just before the price went up. grin. Our four pine trees have provided plenty of cones for decorations and the sloes in our hedge have been picked but are having a spell in the freezer as we can't wait until the first frost or they'll be nicked picked by passers by.

glassortwo Tue 09-Oct-12 22:40:15

Talking about postage stamps I received a flyer from Royal Mail this morning about buying stamps at the before increase price if you received certain benefits, I will go and check as I put the flyer to one side for FIL.
Back in a mo.

merlotgran Tue 09-Oct-12 22:36:52

Thanks, notso I wonder if the cockerel I'm fattening up will share your sentiments. shock

Notsogrand Tue 09-Oct-12 22:25:43

Hope we do have a Christmas singalong glass smile

How do people avoid getting involved in Christmas until it's almost upon us? Like Gillr I've made several Christmas cakes, because they have to be made in advance. I started off Raspberry Gin, Blueberry Vodka & Coffee/Orange Vodka back in August so they'd be ready for Christmas. Since July I've been tucking away any clean & crispy £20 notes that come my way for the older gc at Christmas. I bought postage stamps for Christmas cards months ago before the prices went up. I've arranged a Christmas lunch for my aerobics group and a Christmas dinner for the Tai Chi group. I could go on....

Even though mention of Christmas is banned for you until November merlot, I bet all the people you will be providing a fabulous Chrisrmas for, will be glad you cracked on and got it sorted well in advance!

glassortwo Tue 09-Oct-12 20:17:19

Are we having a C singalong this year??????????

merlotgran Tue 09-Oct-12 19:48:44

It's my turn to host Christmas this year so although it's a banned subject until November I am going to quietly get on with a few preparations so I don't have a last minute panic. Christmas puds are going to be made next week. I have enough mincemeat in the freezer left over from last year and chutneys and pickled onions are already done.

Gillr Tue 09-Oct-12 19:38:36

Sorry but I've made 4 c cakes and 4 c puddings. They need to be made now so they can be fed, iced and delivered to all corners of the UK before the chaos of December hits. Love making and decorating them (grin)

Anagram Mon 23-Jul-12 22:06:28

Hmm - a case of 'Lords first - save yourselves!' grin

jeni Mon 23-Jul-12 22:05:57

We don't wear wigs and gowns. But we do have bomb scares! Usually the fire alarm being set off by unison two floors below leaving toast to burn in their toaster. As the fire brigade said " what idiot decided to have incapacitated people on the third floor?"

johanna Mon 23-Jul-12 22:02:05

I like GLUSHES ana
Sort of Galoshes and Hot Flushes??
grin grin
As long as the Judge is not like the one my OH had during Jury Service a long while ago.
He suddenly got up started running toward the exit door, wig askew, gown flapping. When he got to the door he turned round and shouted " Bomb Scare "!

What a moment of Thank you M'Lord.

jeni Mon 23-Jul-12 21:46:33

Don't tempt me! Her dd insists on having a blanket in the car and her dh says he might as well sleep in a field! But she's one of my friends!

Anagram Mon 23-Jul-12 21:44:06

Goodnight, jeni smile

Bags Mon 23-Jul-12 21:41:38

Night, jeni. Duvet tomorrow too?