Gransnet forums

Food

Supermarket food that's much better that you expected: pls name.

(303 Posts)
isthisallthereis Mon 22-Oct-12 09:40:06

Last night I ate some Buffalo Mozzerella from Morrisons that was much much better than I was expecting. Tasting it was very nearly as good as being in Italy! (I admit to having very low expectations of UK supermarket food, but that's another issue.)

Do you have any particular food items from supermarkets (presumably favourite items) that turned out to taste really very much better than you were expecting?

Pls give the exact items, a comment why and which Supermarket, even if the item has since become unavailable or very hard to find (it does happen!)

If you're not a foodie, you'd perhaps best ignore this thread! smile

Sainsbury Taste the Difference Dijon Mustard, I'd add that to this list too.

Anne58 Mon 22-Oct-12 10:30:46

I tried a twinpack of Morrisons potato salad and coleslaw. (I don't like potato sald, but Mr P said it was delicious,) The coleslaw was very very yummy!

HildaW Mon 22-Oct-12 12:39:09

Having actually resorted to buying decent coffee on the internet (!!!) I was much surprised to find that a rashly purchased packet of Morrissons quality ground coffee was delish!! I shall be buying it in bulk because knowing my luck it will be 'improved' at some stage and not be the same.

HildaW Mon 22-Oct-12 12:39:57

OOOer there seems to be a theme developing here! Am honestly not an employee!!!!

janthea Mon 22-Oct-12 12:46:52

M&S Ultimate Mash - ymmmm!!

annodomini Mon 22-Oct-12 13:07:51

Lidl's Stilton, nicely ripe though not from specified cheese maker as it would be in Waitrose, but none the worse for that. Their Feta is good too.

glammanana Mon 22-Oct-12 13:11:12

The most fabulous Potatoe Gratin from Lidel in the chilled counter,just 89p open and put in dish for oven for 35mins absolutley delish,plenty for two servings.
It would cost me more to make myself by the time I paid for cream/fresh garlic.Packaging does vary for some reason.

Stansgran Mon 22-Oct-12 13:16:16

Waitrose essential English mustard and their FRESH tartare sauce

lucid Mon 22-Oct-12 13:18:48

Aldi Specially Selected Maris Piper Oven Chips....delicious and almost as good as home made oven chips. Waitrose Organic Marmalade, tastes better than my home made one!

glammanana Mon 22-Oct-12 13:21:39

Oh I forgot the marmalade lucid it is a taste of it's own isn't it ?

Ella46 Mon 22-Oct-12 16:33:38

Lidl smoked salmon, very good value, and the large prawns in the chiller. Also their small lasagne is plenty for one and very tasty too.

FlicketyB Mon 22-Oct-12 17:07:42

Waitrose steak and kidney puddings, the ones in the chill cabinets

Granny23 Mon 22-Oct-12 17:18:18

Any of Aldi's cold meats, Lidl's are pretty good too.
Asda's toffee topped choux buns with real cream - 2 for £1 - sumptious!
Lidl's Nasi Goring from the freezer around £3 for 2 more than generous portions.

shysal Mon 22-Oct-12 17:51:02

Aldi 3 bird roast, available especially near Christmas and Easter, is lovely, and so much cheaper than the M&S or Waitrose versions. I must admit I have not tried these other brands so can't compare the taste. Carving is so easy when catering for larger numbers. They do other variations of boneless roasts which are also great value and succulent.

Ana Mon 22-Oct-12 17:52:58

I have heard Aldi's 3 bird roast praised elsewhere, shysal - I think I'll have to give it a go! smile

annodomini Mon 22-Oct-12 18:03:17

I'm fairly certain that my DS who has been a chef, used the Aldi 3-bird roast one Christmas. And he's fussy!

whenim64 Mon 22-Oct-12 18:09:10

I've used the 3 bird roast from Aldi, too. It tastes great, feeds 4 people easily, just be sure to rest it and have a very sharp knife, otherwise it won't cut neatly across the different textures and stuffing.

Also, their frozen salmon en croute is surprisingly good.

whenim64 Mon 22-Oct-12 18:30:31

Forgot to say, Aldi's own-brand Spanish Toro Loco Tempranillo £3.59 is gorgeous. I went in to buy some bottles when i saw it reviewed in the papers a few months ago, and then kept going back. According to the reviews, this red wine excelled in blind taste tests alongside reds costing nearly ten times as much, including a £30 M and S Barolo. One of the criteria for it winning a prize was that it would be available in large supplies, and they usually do have it in stock when I go in.

Grannylin Mon 22-Oct-12 18:41:19

Thanks when- always a bit nervous about trying Aldi/Lidl wines.Have had really good French Connection wines from Morrisons but only cheap when on offer.Perhaps we need a thread for 'bargains of the week' .

Anne58 Mon 22-Oct-12 18:45:19

Another Lidl fan here! (Like Aldi too, but don't have one near enough) Lidl do the 3 bird roast, this will be the third Christmas that we have had it.

Their large prawns at £2.49 for around 24 to 28 prawns are an excellent buy, really good for my own chowder recipe and for curry. (They stay large, firm and meaty)

Also use their smoked haddock in the chowder too!

Must also admit that Mr P now has 4 yes, that is correct 4 bottles of their XBolt for men Eau de Toilette! (He seems to add one to the troley every time we go in!) It smells almost identical to Hugo Boss "Bottled" (the one that doesn't have a name on it apart from "Boss") and is............................... £3.99!

I spent almost £30 last year on a bottle of the Boss one for him!

PS There was a lot of publicity around the fragrance, as apparently it beat some of the top of the range ones in a blind test. Sorry, realise it isn't food, but thought I would share!

Grannylin Mon 22-Oct-12 18:47:40

...and Cien shampoo and conditioner, just as good as Pantene

whenim64 Mon 22-Oct-12 18:53:30

Thankyou back grannylin! I've wondered about that shampoo as I use Pantene most of the time. I'll try it now.

Ariadne Mon 22-Oct-12 18:56:45

I am determined to do some exploring! Thank you all.

annodomini Mon 22-Oct-12 19:12:42

Lidl's shower and bath gels and creams are good quality too.

Rosiebee Tue 23-Oct-12 20:01:49

Agree 100% with whenim64 about the Torre Loco at Aldi. One of the assistants said that as soon as they put it out it just flies off the shelf - well out of the box! I also pick up Aldi marmalade which was recommended by Which, I think, beating several well known makes. Really tasty with a good tang.
This is a brilliant thread. I've been jotting down lots of new items to try. I'd looked at the three bird roast in Aldi but was a bit sceptical about it, now going in tomorrow to try one out. Thanks.