Gransnet forums

Food

New ways with old recipes

(13 Posts)
winnibriggshouse Mon 22-Oct-12 12:20:14

I have just been reading the topic about the return of the good old pud, and have to say they have never died out in our house. However some of them have been brought into our busy full lives whilst still, I think retaining their original appeal. My bread and butter pudding is still prepared in the same way, slices of buttered bread layered with brown sugar and sultanas. The custard made from 2 eggs beaten into blood hot milk and poured over the bread which is left to stand for an hour(if time) if not 10 minutes will do, then the dish is cooked in the microwave for 4 minutes on high (full power) and then 20 minutes on the defrost setting. It rises, browns and tastes delicious, and cooks while you eat your main course.

FlicketyB Mon 22-Oct-12 17:09:42

My christmas puddings have progressed over the years from boiling (hours) to pressure cooker (30 minutes) to microwave (5 - 7 minutes).

whenim64 Mon 22-Oct-12 17:28:23

I make syrup sponge puddings by putting golden syrup in the bottom of a few ramekin dishes, then adding a dollop of Victoria sponge mixture to each. I put them in the fridge, then when needed they just need a minute on full power in the microwave. Lovely with a scoop of icecream on top.

petallus Mon 22-Oct-12 17:35:08

Wow! My brother is coming over for dinner on Friday. I am copying out both these recipes.

No sugar in the custard mixture then winnibriggshouse?

annodomini Mon 22-Oct-12 17:57:03

I make a chocolate fudge pudding just like when makes a syrup sponge pudding: Mix cocoa with the syrup in the bottom of the dishes and add cocoa to the Victoria mixture. Yummy with vanilla ice cream.

winnibriggshouse Mon 22-Oct-12 21:01:41

I do sometimes add just a desertspoon of sugar to the beaten eggs to stop the custard curdling, and you know of course you always add the warmed milk to the cold eggs and not the other way round (forgot to mention that bit), but was reminded of it tonight on the Great British Bake Off Masterclass with Paul and Mary!

marthanne Thu 03-Jan-13 22:59:43

Sadly I don't allow puds or anything like that in the house. I only keep to low calorie sweets like yogurt and sugar free jelly or fruit. I would love to have the puds you mention but have to diet all the time.The only way is to not have them in the housesad

jO5 Thu 03-Jan-13 23:04:50

* winnibriggshouse " - didn't know yu could do bread and butter pud in the microwave. Will give that a try. Your recipe is the same as mine. I do rice puddings in the microwave and that works well.

marthanne I know just what you mean. If it's in the house, I eat it! blush Best not to have things like biscuits in at all.

gracesmum Thu 03-Jan-13 23:05:14

A person can always read and imagine, eh, marthanne - all I dare do after the Christmas binge! sad

Nanado Thu 03-Jan-13 23:42:30

flickety I can testify to the tastiness (wow alliteration!) of home-made microwaved Christmas Puds smile

Anne58 Thu 03-Jan-13 23:54:28

Is it terrifically tempting tastiness, Nanado ? grin

Nanado Fri 04-Jan-13 00:17:01

It's truly terrifically temptingly tasty phoenix wink

kittylester Fri 04-Jan-13 07:31:16

Probably taste bud tickling too.grin