Gransnet forums

Food

Do you think I can eat..........

(59 Posts)
jO5 Sat 03-Nov-12 11:56:43

some mini pork pies that have been in the freezer just over a year?

There is just me here today, so I can feast. Have already eaten remains of an M and S choccie birthday cake. smile

Deedaa Sun 18-Nov-12 17:57:50

I could eat anything through both my pregnancies but went right off tea. Oh the bliss of the first cup of tea after the birth! Even hospital tea tasted wonderful. Had my first baby during a bread strike and all the visitors were coming in complaining about the hours they'd spent scouring the shops for a crumb of bread. We were getting unlimited toast or bread & butter with every meal and did we feel guilty? ....... No!!!

annodomini Sun 18-Nov-12 16:24:17

First pregnancy I ate vast quantities of apples - good fibre.

AlieOxon Sun 18-Nov-12 16:07:44

jeni I had heard of this but it isn't practical here! I know there are a few minutes on one of about 7 reels....and it costs around £25 for a CD.....

I think I will start a thread to ask everyone.

In the 60s I craved oranges and tomatoes - vitamin C?

Smoluski Sun 18-Nov-12 15:33:30

Yes had heard that also jeni as a lovely combination,like mine with yoghurtxx

jeni Sun 18-Nov-12 15:29:24

Pepper with strawberries!

Smoluski Sun 18-Nov-12 15:27:59

Don't you have balsamic vinegar with strawberries supposed to be a lovely combination....you were ahead of your time lovely ladyxxxx

jeni Sun 18-Nov-12 15:26:57

Alie I think there are some places that will transfer them to a cd for you!

soop Sun 18-Nov-12 15:21:15

NellieSmol When I was pregnant for the first time, I craved vinegar and strawberries...not together mind hmm

Smoluski Sun 18-Nov-12 15:02:23

Not pregnant ,well don't think so anyway,but my guilty Indulgence is salt and vinegar crisps,not any old ones though it has to be mccoys,can get through any packets in a sitting given the chance,to the point of making my mouth really sore,does it put me off does it eck.
Pregnancies in late 70's early 80's no food restrictions that I can recall,I am surprised we managed to bring healthy offspring in to the world,think around that time was probably a nice. Time to have babies,enough knowledge by professionals to help keep you safe,but still a time to enjoy your pregnancies in peace without being given to much worrying informationtotallydifferent to the stories I hear now smile

AlieOxon Sun 18-Nov-12 14:51:47

She brought it in hopes that we could play some old tapes that I still have from the 60s. And we did. Heard an old ex-boyfriend singing and playing guitar! From student days. Amazing that they are still audible. A bit faded, that's all.

But I still can't play the BIG reels, one of which has my grandparents on for a few minutes somewhere! This is a 7" reel not 5".

A thought - any one here got an old player that can play these??????

Nanadog Sun 18-Nov-12 14:27:35

Reel to reel Alie what year was that?

Nanadog Sun 18-Nov-12 14:26:23

Just taken my own advice ... been dancing round the room to Mud's 'Tiger Feet'...how on earth do the Strictly lot do it? I'm Kerry Packered blush
MrDog is out buying more chocolate buttons.

Yes absent we've seen a different side to you today, but then apparently so have your neighbours wink

AlieOxon Sun 18-Nov-12 14:25:08

And more cake.

jeni Sun 18-Nov-12 14:19:15

Well, after we've all been soooooooo energetic, I think we deserve a rest . Don't you?

AlieOxon Sun 18-Nov-12 14:17:23

And I made a chocolate cake with sugary filling and ate it, over a week admittedly, - but!

AlieOxon Sun 18-Nov-12 14:15:17

I heard about absent

Last time I danced round the room - I tripped and sat on a reel-to-reel tape recorder brought by my sister. ....it did survive!

petallus Sun 18-Nov-12 14:11:16

I keep on lifting my finger to press 'forums then active' as I lounge here on the sofa eating cheese. Does that count for anything?

jeni Sun 18-Nov-12 14:05:08

I've put the shopping delivery away. Loaded and emptied the washing machine.
How much does that count for?

Nanadog Sun 18-Nov-12 14:02:18

Put on a record and dance around the room? Perhaps draw the curtains if the windows are clean now?

PS did you hear about absent ironing in front of her window? Seems she sometimes does it in the all together but shhh....wink

Marelli Sun 18-Nov-12 13:54:14

I cleaned the windows ( just a bit, and not very energetically, either) Nanadog hmm! That might make up for a quarter of a gingernut! grin

Nanadog Sun 18-Nov-12 13:29:09

Shame on you *Marelli' that's far more indulgent that a few chocolate buttons. Besides I'll have to go and buy some more now and that will involve a mile round walk. That should take care if the extra calories. I think you'll have to run a marathon at least! grin

Marelli Sun 18-Nov-12 13:24:05

You are not alone in your shame, Nanadog! Last night I ate the cooking chocolate......sandwiched between gingernuts blush! I'm booking-in to glass's thread again tomorrow!

Nanadog Sun 18-Nov-12 13:18:45

I've just eaten the grandchildren's chocolate buttons.
Bad Nana (hang my head in shame emoticon)

jeni Sun 18-Nov-12 12:50:00

I longed for curry, asparagus, strawberries and pickled gherkins!
Went off coffee.

absentgrana Sun 18-Nov-12 12:16:37

Bags That was pretty much what I thought. Absentdaughter's most recent sprog popped into the world at the end of March and I remember her enthusiasm for tackling smoked salmon, Camembert and pâté in April. grin