Gransnet forums

Food

Do you think I can eat..........

(58 Posts)
jO5 Sat 03-Nov-12 11:56:43

some mini pork pies that have been in the freezer just over a year?

There is just me here today, so I can feast. Have already eaten remains of an M and S choccie birthday cake. smile

petallus Sat 03-Nov-12 12:11:14

Eat one and then wait a bit to see if there are any adverse effects before eating the rest of them.

Don't eat more than a dozen in any one day though smile

gracesmum Sat 03-Nov-12 12:21:47

Reminds me of one of my favourite diets:
Holiday Stress Diet
The following diet is designed to help you cope with the stress that builds up during the holidays.
Breakfast:
- ½ grapefruit
- 1 slice whole wheat toast
- 8 oz. skim milk
Lunch:
- 4 oz. lean broiled chicken breast
- 1 cup steamed spinach
- 1 cup herb tea
- 1 Oreo cookie
Mid-Afternoon snack:
- The rest of Oreos in the package
- 2 pints Rocky Road ice cream nuts, cherries and whipped cream 1
- jar hot fudge sauce
Dinner:
- 2 loaves garlic bread
- 4 cans or 1 large pitcher Coke
- 1 large sausage, mushroom and cheese pizza
- 3 Snickers bars
Late Evening News:

- Entire frozen Sara Lee cheesecake (eaten directly from freezer)
Enjoy grin

Marelli Sat 03-Nov-12 12:30:47

gracesmum - grin The other night I started to think about chocolate. I'd been lying in bed reading for about an hour, and remembered that I'd bought some cheap chocolate with which to cover my home-made hobnobs (haven't made them yet). I've managed to get a bit of weight off with glass's thread's help and I've not really touched chocolate for a long time.....anyway, to cut a long story short, I crept through to the kitchen cupboard and snaffled the bar of chocolate and ate it all. I had a headache all day yesterday - and the chocolate was horrible! blushshock

gracesmum Sat 03-Nov-12 12:34:05

Cheap chocolate is. I made the same mistake when I had a "chocolate urge " recently and bought some cheap chocolate "Rocky Road" at our local co-op. I had to bin the lot, they tasted stale and were quite inedible.

absentgrana Sat 03-Nov-12 13:03:01

jO5 I wouldn't.

Nonu Sat 03-Nov-12 13:13:24

Gracemum , did you take them back for a refund ? I would have .

jO5 Sat 03-Nov-12 13:18:35

Have eaten one. Semi frozen. Will bin the rest. Perhaps high fat and stale might be a bit much.

jO5 Sat 03-Nov-12 13:20:40

absent I'm starting to think it tasted a bit funny now! shock (being semi frozen it was hard to tell)

O sugar! Being a piggy does not really pay.

jO5 Sat 03-Nov-12 13:21:07

gracesmum I like that. grin

lujaha Fri 16-Nov-12 21:27:51

When chocolate urge strikes nutella by the (large) spoonful works for me. Or the whole jar.
Loved your favourite diet Gracesmum. I laughed so much the dogs started barking (grin)! (I try to remember to cut the Sara Lee cheesecake into portions before freezing, makes it easier to get at in an emergency)

lujaha Fri 16-Nov-12 21:29:05

Forgot to use square brackets.

jO5 Fri 16-Nov-12 21:38:06

I know about those 'emergencies'! grin

Marelli Fri 16-Nov-12 21:46:31

I've needed to eat some chocolate lately....I just hope I'm not beginning to have bad habits again hmm....a gingernut along with some cheap chocolate is very nice, but once the cheap chocolate has gone, I'll be alright again (I think) confusedgrin

Sbagran Fri 16-Nov-12 22:00:53

Marelli get back to Glass's thread URGENT !!! grin
Seriously she has just topped the stone landmark!!!! envy

jO5 Fri 16-Nov-12 22:08:21

WoW!!!! Respect!

Marelli Sat 17-Nov-12 16:46:45

Sbagran - I think I'll weigh in on Monday again wink! I've not put any on, but I've been sneaking chocolate blush.......it HAS all gone now, though!

Sbagran Sat 17-Nov-12 21:40:04

Well done Marelli will be good to see you back on Monday grin
Have you tried My Fitness Pal? (loads of info on it on Glass's thread if you haven't!)
I have been using it for about three months and have successfully lost, and kept off, weight! With MFP you don't have to 'sneak' chocolate - you can actually count it into your daily allowance! I am just about to savor FOUR PIECES of dark chocolate that I have included in today's diary so imagine it - Chocolate plus NO GUILT!!! grin yum yum!

Sbagran Sat 17-Nov-12 21:45:35

Sorry jO5 seem to have slipped away from the original thread hmm
I see you have posted regularly so assume their were no ill-effects from the pork pies!

glassortwo Sat 17-Nov-12 21:56:57

Aww pork pies grin count it and all is good grin

jO5 Sat 17-Nov-12 22:25:20

I ate them. No ill effects. grin

glassortwo Sat 17-Nov-12 22:28:11

grin have you been on the scales jingle pork pies are the worst grin especially with Branston Pickle. wink

jO5 Sat 17-Nov-12 22:29:40

I know. But they are sooo delicious!

I swear it's not often!

Bags Sun 18-Nov-12 07:29:07

DD3, as a foetus, loved cranberry-topped pork pies with (whisper!) half a glass of red wine. That's my theory anyhow, and I'm sticking to it.

Oh, and she's a robust, healthy, bright kid. [It's egg quality wot does it wink).

She also demanded peanut butter, when the pregnancy police said you weren't allowed to have peanuts during pregnancy. No-one told me (and I don't read preachy books) until it was 'too late'.... except it wasn't too late confused

[verynaughtymotherwithexceptionallyhealthykids emoticon]

Sbagran Sun 18-Nov-12 10:27:19

Just shows what a farce some of these preachy books are doesn't it Bags
When I had my three way back in 1979, 1982 and 1983 I was instructed to drink extra milk for calcium when expecting No1 - cut out milk when expecting No2 and when I was pregnant with No3, milk was back as an essential and intake should be increased!
My midwife, when I was carrying the two younger ones was also a family friend and when out socially encouraged the occasional brandy and babycham! The secret is surely 'sensibility' - excess of anything wouldn't be good but surely a little of what you fancy ..... grin
Wish we had your 'verynaughtymotherwith exceptionallyhealthykids' emoticon as I am sure so many of us could use it as well!