Gransnet forums

Food

What is the difference between..........

(31 Posts)
j08 Sun 17-Feb-13 12:27:14

processing food and cooking it? (Thinking mostly about ready-meals here. I understand about ham and bacon)

Bags Thu 18-Apr-13 13:29:14

Cheese is processed food. So is fresh butter. So is fresh milk and cream (pasteurising). Yogurt. Cocoa. Coffee, Tea. All processed.

You could even say fresh meat is processed food – processed grass and other vegetation, or in the case of chickens, if free range then processed grass, insects, worms, etc; if barn raised processed soy and fishmeal.

But, joking apart, what I understand by 'unprocessed' is mainly stuff you have to cook from scratch yourself rather than just reheat.

flickety, I think of eating, even when I enjoy it, as refuelling. Well... it is. That's its main purpose, not pleasure. Getting pleasure from food is a bonus.

j08 Thu 18-Apr-13 14:18:21

We had a delicious ready meal from Waitrose the other evening. Cheese and mushroom ravioli bake. We had spinach with it and it was lovely. Plenty of protein according to the label, so what's the problem?

Bags Thu 18-Apr-13 14:52:28

Nothing, if you like it. At least, that's what I think, but I know my views on food are not fashionable – e.g. I have no fear of fats or other worries about food. I just eat what I like. Pork chops with cream and mushroom sauce this evening, and some courgettes and sweet peppers. Yum.

We are lucky to have so much choice and should appreciate our luck, I think.

soop Thu 18-Apr-13 15:12:49

...it also helps no end to be a slender young lassie, Bags

I've not been on the exercise bike for a couple of days. Must have fretted away a few hundred calories. wink

jeanie99 Sat 27-Apr-13 18:25:35

When I think of processed food I think additives, E numbers, names on products I don't understand.

Mixing food with electrical appliances just saves time and is just part of the cooking process.

The thing with cooking yourself you know what is put into a meal.

Steam vegetables they keep all the flavour in.