Gransnet forums

Food

I think this country could be in danger of becoming under-nourished..... .....

(129 Posts)
j08 Thu 07-Mar-13 13:22:49

if people take much notice of all these different reports that keep cropping up.

Now we are supposed to limit our daily intake of ham/bacon to 20 grams a day! Less than an ounce! And apparently sausages, pies, and suchlike are a big no-no.

And, of course, if we eat red meat we will die.

And watch your fats!

and the Today programme gets worse with their reporting of it hmm (approx 2hrs 15 mins in)

j08 Sat 09-Mar-13 23:19:00

lots of theories here why whales beach themselves

Galen Sat 09-Mar-13 23:10:22

Nanaej contrary to belief, I don't eat children either?

Orca Sat 09-Mar-13 23:03:15

NO bags that is not what I said. Are you trying to be deliberately rude or obtuse? You are making the mistake of thinking your opinion, based on ignorance, matters to me.

Granjura you haven highlighted two issues. One has been proven the other is still under investigation.

vegasmags Sat 09-Mar-13 22:55:55

Funnily enough Galen in my retirement I really enjoy doing little jobs for friends and acquaintances, although I know my limitations - don't do electrics apart from the basics. My friend lives in social housing and often the residents really struggle to get someone to do small jobs like putting up a curtain rail or a coat rack, so it's my pleasure to help. The downside is the endless cups of tea and plates of biscuits.

Galen Sat 09-Mar-13 22:38:05

Would you like to move in with me? I have loads of little jobs that need doing?

vegasmags Sat 09-Mar-13 22:22:44

Spent most of today doing DIY for disabled friend, which was good and used up lots of calories, hopefully. Then had to sit down and eat enormous roast lamb dinner which she had cooked out of gratitude. It would have been rude not to finish it up and it was delicious. This one step forward, two steps back epitomises my attempts to live healthily. Still, all her little outstanding jobs are done and I have that comfortable feeling inside at having eaten a vast amount. Could all be a lot worse. smile

nanaej Sat 09-Mar-13 22:17:10

Late to this thread but just to say my DD1 always says she doesn't eat quadrapeds!
Lentils, rice and chickpeas for me tonight. Yummy!

Galen Sat 09-Mar-13 21:43:48

Well I have a bolognese sauce made with organic british beef, organic onion carrot and italian tomatoes ,chianti, French bouillon, Isle of Wight garlic, all cooking in the crockpot for tomorrow! I will give 2/3 to angel next door as I still after 10 years haven't got the knack of cooking for one! Anyway this is cost effective and as she is at work all day in an Abbeyfield home all she has to is cook the pasta! Old git will be too tired after his cycling to do anything to help!

JessM Sat 09-Mar-13 21:40:40

I think the irony is bags that a proportion of the population eat unwisely and don't worry about it. The ones who worry about diet most are the ones who are already eating the most healthy diet.
People that have things like cancer nearly always look for reasons. They used to blame the gods. Now they blame the food.

j08 Sat 09-Mar-13 21:05:40

I did n' t buy junk food. I baked cakes instead. Will still make me fat.

j08 Sat 09-Mar-13 21:03:20

Horrible! angry

granjura Sat 09-Mar-13 20:54:55

Whales and dolphins beach themselves possibly because their very sensitive sonars are disturbed by the huge traffic in the oceans, army testing, etc. Two days ago an enormous sperm whale beached itself and died on the coast of Spain - her stomach was chockerblock full of plastics of every kind.

Deedaa Sat 09-Mar-13 20:27:53

My husband starts to throw things when I nag about empty calories, but it really is what they are. You can watch a trolley full of shopping go through a checkout and there's often very little real food there.

absent Sat 09-Mar-13 19:12:35

A high percentage of obesity among the population and under-nourishment at the same time is something of an achievement for our society.

Bags Sat 09-Mar-13 18:14:28

Bit like diet and disease then? wink

Lotsa books, lotsa blurb. No-one really knows.

Orca Sat 09-Mar-13 18:04:08

Yes Bags there are many known reasons and even more theories awaiting investigation. I could write a book on it, others have. Suffice to say there is no one simple explanation.

j08 Sat 09-Mar-13 17:33:21

I'm going down the co-op. Buy some junk food.

FlicketyB Sat 09-Mar-13 17:32:35

Nothing ostrich like about Bags comments. We all have to die of something sooner or later.

I have yet to see any evidence that those that constantly neurose about every mouthful they eat and leap on every article that says this or that is good or not good for you live any longer than those that eat a sensible diet rich in fruit and veg, dont smoke, dont drink heavily and take regular exercise and leave the worrying to those who have nothing better to do.

Bags Sat 09-Mar-13 17:30:00

BTW, orca, why do whales and dolphins beach themselves? Is it known? Or are there any hypotheses about why it happens?

Bags Sat 09-Mar-13 17:27:17

Yes, loads smile

Orca Sat 09-Mar-13 17:25:32

Do you have any ostrich genes in you Bags? wink

Bags Sat 09-Mar-13 17:20:10

I think flickety has put it very well – fuss about diet being about looking for something to worry about. The thing is, in spite of all this worrying, life expectation is still higher than it's ever been. Age must have a lot to do with all these modern prevalent illnesses. Maybe we just didn't live long enough before and died of other things instead.

And, still, all the advice is, essentially, be moderate in your intake of anything and your risk of getting any of the currently prevalent diseases will be lower than if you overdo something. And get some exercise. And don't smoke.

nightowl Sat 09-Mar-13 17:00:47

Afraid so Ana, can't recommend a junk food diet to anyone for all sorts of reasons grin

Ana Sat 09-Mar-13 16:57:47

Ah! I didn't know that, nightowl - about the level increasing if the diet was changed to a western one. That blows my (admittedly facetious) suggestion out of the water, then!

nightowl Sat 09-Mar-13 16:54:24

Except that earlier research showed that Japanese people who moved to America then had the same level of bowel cancer as Americans, which supported the diet link. As well as which they have higher levels of stomach cancer in Japan but those levels decreased to American levels in the migrant population. Can't we just accept that genetics and diet play a part?