Gransnet forums

Food

Herbs and Spices

(27 Posts)
gillybob Sun 07-Apr-13 09:54:26

I made my husbands favourite dish for supper last night (Beef Stifado) who said that the way to a mans heart isn't through his stomach?

The dish calls for quite a few different herbs and spices and whilst I had everything on hand (except the fresh ingredients of course) I wondered if dried herbs and spices have a shelf life and whether the flavours diminish after time? Do I need to invest in a new spice box or will the (out of date) jars I have still be okay? smile

Bez Sun 07-Apr-13 17:50:35

I have not yet frozen herbs myself but I have bough them in the French freezer chain Picard and they are very good - I mainly use them in things like soups and casseroles and just pop them in straight from the packet so they are not actually defrosted first.
I have a dehumidifying rack I bought in Lakeland and I dry the home grown herbs in it - wash and dry on kitchen paper and then crumble up when putting them in jars. OH was just in saying that he intends to build me a couple of bigger containers for my herbs on the patio - he is wandering about a bit lost as had an op last week and at the moment unable to do much so thinking about things to do.