Gransnet forums

Food

Cookery books

(62 Posts)
mollie Sat 25-May-13 21:03:00

I'm a cookery book addict and buy as many as I can get away with! Every one is a favourite so I can't actually answer my own question, which is: do you have a favourite cookery book? Is it a published one or handed down through your family?

Doodledog Sat 04-Nov-23 13:32:33

Mine have flatly refused to take them grin. They are much better than I was at turning down the opportunity to relieve me of my unwanted stuff. I always felt obliged to accept graciously, but they just say ‘no thanks’ and stick to it.

Norah Sat 04-Nov-23 13:22:15

We've hundreds of cookery books - I now pass them out to our daughters and GC as gifts. They 'say' they're pleased - and we're less cluttered.

Doodledog Sat 04-Nov-23 12:09:49

I know. It’s going to pain me, but a lot of people are getting rid of things, not looking to get more, so I am getting mine collected by a charity who sells things abroad. I’d rather give them away, as I doubt the charity will get much of a cut, but I just want rid of them now.

Callistemon21 Sat 04-Nov-23 12:02:39

The charity shops don't want them and they'd only get pulped, such a shame.

Bakingmad0203 Sat 04-Nov-23 12:01:18

As you can tell from my name I love cooking and baking. I did have a very large collection of cookery books including the Cordon Bleu and Supercook ones. However I have managed to cull them down and now Mary Berry, Delia Smith, Marguerite Patterson and Alistair Hendry are my favourites.

I got frustrated with having to buy lots of expensive ingredients which I never used again, and many of the recipes didn’t work, so hadn’t been tested!
I do go on the internet occasionally, but nothing beats flicking through a cookery book and salivating over the photos🤣

annodomini Sat 04-Nov-23 12:00:47

Rather than have bulky cookbooks cluttering up my limited space, I make use of the internet where I can find any recipe for any dish.

Callistemon21 Sat 04-Nov-23 11:55:33

Deedaa

Nothing to do with cookery Books annsixty but I visited Marika Hanbury Tenison's home a couple of times in the 90's. She had died quite young (cancer? can't remember) and her husband had re married. I think it was an old friend of her's that he married and the house had been kept completely unchanged. Every flat surface was covered with souvenirs from their travels. Heaven knows how she ever managed to cook - there wasn't an inch of clear space.

Marika Hanbury Tenison

I know this post is ten years old but just wanted to say that I used her Christmas cake recipe for many years and it was very good. I'd found it in a magazine.

aonk Sat 04-Nov-23 11:26:41

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned Mary Berry. I have all her books and find I don’t need any others. Of course they’re more recent than some others that posters have kept for many years but Mary is my go to! I love her programmed and website as well.

Redhead56 Sat 04-Nov-23 10:41:00

Neither did I!

Redhead56 Sat 04-Nov-23 10:40:06

Welcome square dog! there is a thread on here what’s for dinner today. It makes you hungry reading everyone’s plans for their evening meal I think you will enjoy it.

Doodledog Sat 04-Nov-23 10:37:32

Oh, I hadn't realised it was an old thread. 2013! I'd make a terrible witness in court, wouldn't I? grin

annsixty Sat 04-Nov-23 10:35:57

Although this thread is very old it makes lovely reading, posts from members long disappeared.
Some including me are still active though.

Doodledog Sat 04-Nov-23 10:15:42

I have hundreds of them (literally), and plan to have a purge very soon. I enjoy cooking, and used to like flicking through them like magazines, but I have done that less lately - I am just as likely to use Google these days. I need to create more space, so plan to reduce them to 10%.

Redhead56 Sat 04-Nov-23 09:45:14

I have so many cookery books it’s ridiculous it’s a habit I can’t resist cookery books. The most expensive one I bought was when I attended catering college. Larousse Gastronomic which weighs a tonne it’s like an encyclopaedia for everything regarding food. If I come across something I am unsure of the book always has the answer. Not really necessary now because we have the internet but it was then when I purchased the book.

On an everyday basis a collection of Keith Floyd Rick Stein and Jamie Oliver books are used constantly. Books representing food from other countries interest me too variety is the spice of life.

kittylester Sat 04-Nov-23 08:12:08

I've just bought the Rick Sten book 'Simple Suppers' or something like that.

He talks about trying to produce a book which has lots of usable recipes in. I have found at least a dozen so far.

denbylover Sat 04-Nov-23 03:30:28

Here the Edmonds Cookbook has been the go-to for years. It’s still good and I use it for baking. Now of course there are so many new publications it’s hard to choose. I use my own recipe book, a compilation of all sorts gathered over 50 yrs that’s used the most. I once heard a Chef on tv say, if you only use one recipe out of a new recipe book purchase, it’s a good investment.

aacrowe Sat 04-Nov-23 01:11:23

I have found this site in my quest to find a Supercook recipe that my late Mom and I used to make in the 1970s/1980s. I was so sure that I would remember the recipe for Biff a la Lindstrom and gave the magazine away. Now in old age, I think I remember the ingredients, but not the proportions. I have located the volume and page (Volume 2, page 169) but cannot locate the actual recipe. I hoping that some kind person might still have your copies of the magazine and might be so kind as to send me the recipe. Many thanks, in anticipation smile

mmatt Wed 24-Nov-21 08:48:53

Not sure if anyone's still watching this Christmas cake thread, but I came to Gran's Net this morning via googling "Supercook Christmas Cake recipe" - never expected to find it, and I'm now busy making the same cake that I made for years and years. I shed my volumes of Supercook (collected from the very beginning) when we moved, and this is really the only recipe I've missed. So pleased to find it!

Deedaa Sun 06-Oct-13 22:56:02

Nothing to do with cookery Books annsixty but I visited Marika Hanbury Tenison's home a couple of times in the 90's. She had died quite young (cancer? can't remember) and her husband had re married. I think it was an old friend of her's that he married and the house had been kept completely unchanged. Every flat surface was covered with souvenirs from their travels. Heaven knows how she ever managed to cook - there wasn't an inch of clear space.

storynanny Sun 06-Oct-13 20:31:24

I still use a tatty old pamphlet with recipes in it ûsing campbells condensed soup. Used to be able to feed a family of 5 with very little meat using these great recipes. Otherwise its Good Housekeeping 1975 version if I forget ratios for basic recipes etc. i also remember my mum buying the dairy book from the milkman, must have a look next time I visit and see if she still has them.
Ive also got a book with stuck in recipes collected from various magazines etc over the years. Its nostalgic looking back on them and thinking about when the children were little and liked helping in the kitchen.

annsixty Sun 06-Oct-13 20:18:43

I remember MH-T writing in the Telegraph (did she die young?) and still make her onion sauce which everyone loves. I still have some loose pages from those times.

Reddevil3 Sun 06-Oct-13 19:40:54

Has anybody had 'Left over for tomorrow' by Marika Hanbury-Tennison?
She used to write a cookery article, I think, for the Telegaph years ago.
Anyway, she has some amazing recipes using leftovers and it saves throwing out any uneaten food in these stringent days. It's quite satisfying to make something out of nothing.
It's out of print but available through Amazon. (I hate to say!)

squaredog Sun 06-Oct-13 09:30:17

I'm a newbie here.

I'm expecting my first GC next May and have been on MumsNet til now,Why I ask myself?

I am 61, but had serious misconceptions of this gang.

Be Ro. The very name takes me back. Stork, The Dairy Cookbook from the milkman......

I'm home. There's no going back.

absent Fri 04-Oct-13 22:54:42

mckenzzee I have sent the recipe (Volume 6, page 2024 and rather pretentiously titled Quiche au Thon) to you in a pm as requested. Enjoy.

Scooter58 Fri 04-Oct-13 22:21:05

I also have a Bero cookery book.Was my Grans and passed to me.Memories of many happy times as a child making dropped scones etc with my Gran and getting to "lick " the bowl before washing it.