Gransnet forums

Food

Something from "nothing"

(80 Posts)
Grannyknot Thu 14-Nov-13 15:49:41

I have conjured up a meal from next to nothing (not boasting, just happy because I'm feeding 3 adults on a budget meal) - I made home made fish cakes out of a tin of mackerel, one fresh fillet of plaice (poached), and a tin of pilchards (drained off the tomato sauce). Combined with grated onion, left over mashed potato, and a small handful of oats (makes them crunchy) plus one egg, then patted into shape and rolled in a bit of flour, they're now neatly wrapped on plate awaiting the frying pan later this evening. Yum!

I'll call it "Three Fish Fishcakes".

margaretm74 Fri 14-Feb-14 13:07:48

smile

shysal Fri 14-Feb-14 12:26:02

Margaretm74, Fanny may well have done something similar, but I invented it myself.

margaretm74 Fri 14-Feb-14 12:03:45

Shysal - was that a Fanny Craddock recipe?

margaretm74 Fri 14-Feb-14 12:02:05

I made up a corned beef hash when the DC were small and DH still requests it

chopped onion, microwave with a little oil in a large lidded dish, add cubed cooked potatoes, frozen peas and corned beef (a tin served 5, a couple of slices is enough for DH). Plus s&p. Microwave until thoroughly heated, nice with brown sauce. Or a tin of baked beans as above posters.

We also have bubble and squeak with sunday's leftover veg, use all the chicken cold or in a stirfry, then boil carcass for stock.

shysal Fri 14-Feb-14 08:38:46

I make a savoury bread and butter pudding dish. I use any old bread made into sandwiches with anything I have, ham, tomato, tuna or cheese, buttering the outside and cutting into triangles. Soak with seasoned 1 egg:1/2 pint milk mixture (scale up if needed), sprinkle with grated cheese and bake. Puffs up nicely, and has a crunchy top.

MamaCaz Fri 14-Feb-14 08:26:31

Mmmm, I love it! If I hadn't just had my breakfast i would be tempted to make that right now from last night's leftovers (:

mrsmopp Fri 14-Feb-14 00:02:57

Reviving this thread, our evening meal on Monday was always bubble and squeak, using all the leftover bits of veg from Sunday lunch.
For something so simple it's amazingly tasty,especially with bits of crispy bacon and topped with a fried egg. Mmmmm. I'm hungry now, just thinking of it.

MamaCaz Wed 15-Jan-14 15:30:36

For me, the fact that our nearest shop of any description is over three miles away means that shopping has to be done carefully, as popping out for something extra or forgotten isn't really an option.
I shop roughly weekly, and if I get it wrong and run short before the next planned shop, we just have to make do with whatever is in the freezer or growing in the garden. Vegetable pie, anyone? smile

Grannyknot Wed 15-Jan-14 10:20:55

storynanny I agree with you, it's too easy to pop out to the shops and spend a lot on food - I have a Waitrose across the road! It's very satisfying to use what's in the house. Husband forgot last night that it was his night to cook, took nothing out the freezer and was too lazy to go out again so he scrummaged around and made a macaroni cheese with 3 rashers of bacon and a tomato + the other ingredients of course. And it was filling and tasty.

I have a young nephew staying here at the moment, in between house shares, and he also has a cooking turn during the week, but I have to keep reminding both the men that cooking also means general kitchen duties. They seem to think okay to cook only and I still do all the rest, make tea after, stack dishwasher, wash pots etc. So last night I had feet up watching Hinterland double bill and the kitchen looked like a bomb had hit it until one of them eventually noticed... smile

storynanny Tue 14-Jan-14 14:59:32

I also used to blend any scraps of chicken leftover with a bit of leftover veg, few spoonfuls of white sauce, breadcrumbs, shape into cakes and fry. Early version of chicken nuggets!
I spend far too much on food nowadays, I must look out my old frugal recipes.

storynanny Tue 14-Jan-14 14:56:32

I used to do a variation on the cowboy pie when my boys were little and I had no money. I used to make some sort of cottage pie mix with beef or corned beef padded out with veg and lentils. if I had no potatoes we used to make pastry and cut out cow shapes with the playdough ( well washed) and stick them on top. Naturally we called it cow pie. Goodness, looking back, I remember making a pound of mince last 3 days for 5 people.

Riverwalk Tue 14-Jan-14 11:58:11

I try not to keep 'nice chunky bread' around as I'd eat it with nice thick butter! grin

I'm a big fan of Lea & Perrins - love the stuff.

Grannyknot Tue 14-Jan-14 11:41:50

river years ago someone gave me this tip for moist meatballs, instead of adding an egg, simply put a nice chunky slice of bread on top of your meatball mix (mince, grated onion, seasoning), and soak the bread carefully with water that's just off the boil (being careful that you're pouring the water only on the bread, just enough to soak the slice of bread). Then mash it all in (I use my hands, very satisfying). So - no egg, just bread and boiled water. It works!

I also always put a dash of Lea & Perrins in my meatballs. Ooh that sounds like an ad.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 14-Jan-14 11:21:49

River I have used gluten free porridge oats which I have shoved in a blender to make a fine powder too - great texture as well

Riverwalk Tue 14-Jan-14 10:48:53

I like meatballs, and they're popular with the grandchildren, but I don't like them too 'meaty' as they can be a bit rubbery and dry. In addition to onion, seasoning, and an egg, I add a handful of chickpea flour which gives them a nice texture.

Chickpea flour is gluten and wheat-free.

It's good for coating too, being a nice yellow colour. smile

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 14-Jan-14 10:34:56

Ooh yes good idea. It's definitely a whatever-you've-got kind of dish. In fact another of my favourite dinners (which I batch cook and keep in the freezer for those can't be bothered to cook days) is also something that came out of visitors and no shopping (there is a theme here) - basically lots of veg found in fridge and freezer mixed with a tin of chick peas and a carton of passata and some puree and cooked until it's a really rich stew. Served with couscous or baked potato,.

Grannyknot Tue 14-Jan-14 10:27:55

Cari that sounds good enough to dish up for a meal tonight. Thanks! I've got polenta might dip it into that?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 14-Jan-14 10:16:40

My two 'making a lot out of a little' meals are adding red lentils to mince - bulks it out without losing the taste. Yum. And one which was one of those "people for lunch and forgot to go shopping" meals which has become a favourite is:

Boil up potatoes and sweet potatoes and mash together.
Add a tin of tuna and a beaten egg and some salt to taste.
Fry an onion (I only had a red one but as that worked well that's what I use now). Add to the rest of the ingredients. Shape into balls or cakes or whatever takes your fancy. Dip in flour or matzo meal or whatever you have to hand. Fry. Or oven bake.

Also once made it with a left over cooked salmon fillet (made easily enough for four - or more if you are not as greedy as us)

FlicketyB Tue 14-Jan-14 09:22:43

Tidying the kitchen this morning I found a cookbook bought many years ago (it has a print date of 1972) called 'Waste not, Want not'. Full of ideas and recipes for how to use all sorts of leftovers. I still use it on occasions, when faced with a leftover, or more usually cooking disaster, that I cannot immediately think of a re-use for.

The last time was a recipe for pecan and maple muffins that nobody could have tested or checked before publishing in a newspaper. I ended up with a tray - and oven bottom of delicious tasting cooked cake, but not individual muffins. I looked at the pieces of centimetre thick cake I had scraped up and thought - 'I can't throw all that away'. Checked my book and turned it into a crumbly topping for stewed fruit.

annsixty Tue 14-Jan-14 09:14:18

I saute very finely shredded leeks in butter and then mix with the mashed potato. It makes a good topping for Shepherds pie and gets veg into children.

annodomini Mon 13-Jan-14 18:40:58

Cream doesn't like me, so I make my 'creamed' potatoes by adding some Philadelphia Light to the mash. I'd also add some chopped chives if I still had some in my herb bed. Boil and mash an onion with your spuds; this makes the Scottish dish, Stovies.

celebgran Mon 13-Jan-14 18:07:31

Mm oh does not like pasta but I could do a tuna pasta bake like that on Odd occasion he goes out! Sound lovley.

Iam64 Mon 13-Jan-14 17:46:38

I love mashed potato, it's my favourite comfort food. I always do too much, as I did yesterday evening. Tonight, only me eating at home, so I'm pondering how to snazzy up my mash, whatever I do, it will be perfect for me

MamaCaz Mon 13-Jan-14 17:07:12

Yesterday we had guests for dinner so I did a small roast. I deliberately did too much mashed potato and veg, so tonight I am going to mix them together, fry them and serve them up with the little bit of meat that was left, plus lashings of the leftover gravy. Mmmm, can't wait!

And there might even be enough mash for me to save a bit for tomorrow too to make some fishcakes or something!

thinkskinny Mon 13-Jan-14 16:19:21

Thanks for your Parmesan & spinach pudding RIVERWALK. I'll try it. Hope my husband will like it =)