Gransnet forums

Food

Christmas Dinner

(90 Posts)
gracesmum Sun 24-Nov-13 20:24:30

No matter what time of day you have it, is this every woman's nemesis? I can count on the fingers of one hand, the years I have not cooked C. Dinner in 43 years of marriage. I have cooked turkey, beef, goose, I have done brilliant meals, less than (too many G&T's!) and OK adequate whatever - I still deserved a medal as it is a lot of hard work however you look at it. One year the sister in law went to book in at the local B&B and decided to have a little lie down while my Yorkies overcooked and I fumed, one year it took about 4 hours extra as the oven thermostat had packed up without my realising, one year I overcooked the goose (dry and crispy didn't come close) we had gone out f or Christmas morning drinks - fatal!! and each year I have thought why is it such a big deal as it is just a *Sunday roast *(writ large) No?
We have some serious foodies with us in our group of 11 (plus the little boys ) this year in the shape of DD3 and SIL, other SIL is a veggie expert as his father was a market gardener, DH is not uncritical and the 2 DGSS would probably rather have pizza. Today I tried out a recipe from Riverford in an attempt to be original with the brussel sprouts. Has anybody else tried Riverford roasted sprouts?
Trust me - DON'T. I like sprouts and these were inedible - so thank goodness I tried it out on DH first! I also tried a Lidl 3 Bird roast as so many people recommend them and was underwhelmed. DD3 says why not a quail each (I quail at the thought) or why not beef? In an attempt to please everybody do I risk pleasing nobody?
As Fagin says in "Oliver!" I think I'd better think it out again.

Eloethan Tue 26-Nov-13 22:08:52

It's not the same sort of thing we cook every day. I very rarely cook "roasts" these days as my husband doesn't eat meat now and I rarely eat it. Also, I'm a bit fed up with cooking so we tend to have simple stuff most of the time. The details of other Gransnetters' evening meals put me to shame.

Nelliepara10 Tue 26-Nov-13 23:43:27

Last year for the first time ever I had no-one for Christmas dinner. No pity required, my sister called round in the morning and I opened presents from friends, cousins etc. two sons were going to come Boxing Day with in laws and GC.

And what did I eat Mrsmopp? A delicious meat pie with puff pastry from M&S and then I enjoyed a small portion of pudding. The Dinner was served the next day and as is the norm, with the nattering, the wine, and everything being ready at the same time, was stone cold. Thank God for microwaves.

By the way I have told all my friends not to buy olives. I have, due to being unable to drive, had to rely on Tesco deliveries. Due to my total ignorance of the metric system have purchased the largest bag of sugar ever seen, a tiny box of soap powder and this last week a massive jar of olives.

greatgranma Thu 28-Nov-13 03:30:49

Having been married 50 years it will be my 48th xmas dinner having been to eldest daughter twice. No she dosnt cook but SIl is great cook, i love doing it though this year having Quale followed by boned stuffed duck, hubbi must have his sprouts always do fried with pine nuts & avacardo as his fav but found in iceland last year with chestnuts he loved them so cheating again &using them, we love xmas pud and always make sure i get enough to last through out year:-D but will do choc ones for GC but if any need something diffrent that can be made in advance you will need a Blockof icecream (coop may still sell) a box of aftereights cut i/cream into cubes size of mints, put mint one 4 sides now this can be done in advance & put in freezer, before serving pipe cream on top decorate with strawberry or orange, you choose fruit, add sprig of mint if you happen to have, never known it fail to please apart from me who Hates mints of any sort :-D. Oh most i have cooked for on xmas day 90 lol they had 4 cources choice of turky or beef + had 2 vegies 1 vegon, not a trained chef but we had reastrant at the time, i did all cooking all gone by 4pm then did staff meal

Flowerofthewest Thu 28-Nov-13 08:58:12

Was inspired by this forum to pick up the phone and order my Christmas Dinner from M&S. After 40 years of mainly me cooking the dinner, last year was a doddle, it seems a lot of money but I only buy free range turkeys so looking at the cost of one of those plus all the extra bits, plus the preparing I was more relaxed last year than I have ever been. My DD who is vegetarian (I have ordered a special vege roast for them) is contributing as is my youngest DS. All in all it will work out cheaper and less stressful for me.smile

annodomini Thu 28-Nov-13 09:38:23

Good thinking, Flower. Why do it all when it can be ready to cook on the day?

Flowerofthewest Thu 28-Nov-13 09:43:42

Agree Anno, After all it's MY Christmas too.

FlicketyB Fri 29-Nov-13 09:30:27

Well, I will stick to getting it all ready the day before. I spend less than hour in the kitchen on Christmas Day.

At the end of the day all it is, is a roast dinner with a large joint. Whether it is a quick simple roast meal or a full production number, with. metaphorically, fanfares of trumpets and waiters bearing boars heads on gilded plates, is a matter of choice.

Sonsybesom Fri 29-Nov-13 15:55:58

Was it the Royal Family? Just saw a repeat which was like that, but ended happily in spite of all!

Agus Fri 29-Nov-13 16:25:02

Nice one flower. I'm at the cheating stage too. Been there, done it, for years. Had itgrin

Penstemmon Fri 29-Nov-13 17:28:27

We usually host the DDs and partners plus kids and occasionally have a couple of extras. I stick to a roast turkey or a capon depending on numbers but prepare as much of the veg. and other bits ahead of the day possible so less time in the kitchen!

I have friends who make a really big deal out of the food but to me I'd rather be playing & enjoying a few festive tipple. grin

Flowerofthewest Fri 29-Nov-13 18:31:32

Cheating Agus! Cheating, I still have to put the oven on grin

Agus Fri 29-Nov-13 19:02:12

Well don't go tiring yourself out flower and sit down at any opportunity you get.. Other than that enjoy grin

Flowerofthewest Fri 29-Nov-13 19:10:13

grin

jeanie99 Sat 30-Nov-13 03:01:42

Apart from the one year when we first retired and were away on a trip I have cooked Christmas dinner every year and my son and daughter and now their partners come to stay.
Have to say I do enjoy the family with us and I do love all that comes with the holiday.
I do quite a bit of preparation and freezing before hand to save time on the day and it does tend to work out well.
This year however for the first time we will be traveling down to my daughters home for the Christmas period from Christmas Eve for 4 days and my son and dil will join us as my daughter gave birth in October and can't travel so far with the little one.
Because there will be 6 of us and 4 days meals I intend taking down a sliced turkey with plenty of stuffing, I'll freeze these and the baking I'll do, tortilla, etc can't just go down and expect my daughter to do everything for her first Christmas bash.
It will be good fun everyone will help and the main thing is we are all together for the holiday.