Gransnet forums

Food

The rise of Food Banks - Jack Monroe on Loose Women

(6 Posts)
whenim64 Wed 16-Apr-14 11:16:41

Jack Monroe is on Loose Women at 12.30 to talk about the rise of Food Banks being used. Just saw it on Twitter. I hope she manages to get her points across.

whenim64 Wed 16-Apr-14 13:32:36

Jack has had to emphasise again that a lot of people being referred to food banks are on zero hours contracts, getting a few hours work some weeks but none the next. A million people this year, three times the number referred last year.

AAAHappyMan Sun 20-Apr-14 07:10:35

That moderate Tory MP Nadine Dorries, a lass from a Liverpudlian working class background, spoke of OUR PM and OUR Chancellor-o-t-E as ''... arrogant posh boys who don't know the price of milk ... who don't know what it's like to go to the supermarket and have to put things back on the shelves because they can't afford it for their children's lunch boxes. ...What's worse, they don't care either."
However, the English economy has to be put back onto the tracks, and as Baron Lamont of Lerwick once announced from the Dispatch box ''Rising unemployment and the recession have been the price that we have had to pay ...That price is well worth paying.''
Zero hours contracts; hungry children unable to pay attention in school; food banks; huge NHS bills for anti-depressants for desperate unemployed people looking for nonexistent jobs; ATOS victims; massive taxpayers' hand outs to share holders to subsidize appallingly low wage rates; .. are part of today's price to be paid.
So make sure you don't drive past those parts of your town or city where these 'banks and 'Out if date food stuff' Supermarkets operate 'cos you might get a little upset - I did !

glassortwo Sun 20-Apr-14 08:56:47

Instead of driving past AAA take a donation to help the folk who have no choice but to visit the food banks!!

glammanana Sun 20-Apr-14 09:41:53

Or AAA you can give up some of your time and help at the centres even a couple of hours make a vast difference,we have started to do a Sunday Club at our school hall where people can get a Sunday Lunch provided FOC from donations collected from local Supermarkets.Locally a couple of mums have started a campaign for a warehouse of sorts to be donated rent free so these people finding it hard to feed their families on the £s allowed can have cookery lessons using some of the "dated" provisions and they are having no success at all,I approached our local council to see if we could use maybe one of the school kitchens during the summer break and am still waiting for a reply ??

AAAHappyMan Mon 21-Apr-14 20:22:30

G/2 & Glam
You ask me for a contribution
Well, I'll tell you
I'm doing what I can
[Thanks to John Lennon et alia]
1).... ''So make sure you don't drive past those parts of your town or city where these 'banks and 'Out if date food stuff' Supermarkets operate 'cos you might get a little upset - I did !
Shame that you didn't spot the irony in that - I'd have double marked it with an emoticon if there was a suitable one available.
2).... I'm doing what I can by using my undoubted talents, for example:
+...Monitoring the Service Delivery by NHS and Social Care providers
+...Attending CCG Board meetings to keep tabs on how GPs are spending
the £65 000 000 000 of OUR=NHS cash which is now Privatized to their control.
3)... Attending the very powerful local Health and Wellbeing Board meetings, lobbying members and asking questions
4)... Working to rid this country of the present Government of Kleptocrats and promoters of Bribery as a way to run our society.
You asked me for my contribution
Well, NOW you know
I'm doing what I can