Gransnet forums

Food

Whatever happened to the sunday Roast?

(53 Posts)
suebailey1 Sat 06-Sep-14 09:36:14

I heard on the radio the other day that the Sunday Roast is less popular and therefore less often cooked at home than ever. Of course there are many reasons for that - time, economy, personal taste but I wondered what your usual Sunday fare is? I cook a roast probably every other Sunday more chicken than anything else although we do splash out on a long slow roast of brisket (Dh prefers it to top side) and last weekend a joint leg of lamb from Waitrose- £151 couldn't do that too often. I alternate with a big paella one week, a casserole usually beef and red wine or beer and sometimes a Shepherds Pie or lasagne. Some new ideas would be very welcome.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Sep-14 09:46:49

Oh thank you so much! You've reminded me to get the joint out of the freezer. smile

How on earth did a leg of lamb cost £151?! shock

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Sep-14 09:47:30

(Always have a roast. Not always cooked by me)

hildajenniJ Sat 06-Sep-14 09:54:51

My DS comes for lunch most Sundays and he likes a proper roast dinner. It's either roast beef, pork,or chicken. These days we often vary this with a casserole or pie. Last week we had Aldi's Pulled pork in Brioche buns with a salad and chips. I always try and make a pudding, a fruit crumble or a roly-poly, anything sticky and stodgy. You should see DS though, he's very slim, as opposed to his mother who, I'm afraid is the heaviest she's ever been. (That's why I have started the 5:2 diet)

vegasmags Sat 06-Sep-14 10:00:00

I really like a Sunday roast, and no other meal, no matter how good, packs quite the same punch. During the winter, I take turns with a friend who also lives alone, to cook a roast with all the trimmings. The only downside is that when stuffed with food, washed down with a glass or three, we tend to fall asleep!

sunseeker Sat 06-Sep-14 10:23:32

I always do a Sunday roast, unless it is very hot when I will cook a chicken and have it with salad.

nightowl Sat 06-Sep-14 10:23:41

I absolutely love a Sunday roast, minus the roast IYSWIM.

As a veggie for over 40 years I don't miss the meat bit at all but I would hate to give up the rest of it. Don't do it too often though, now it's just the two of us. We mainly use it to entice the grown up kids to visit and remember we exist grin

henetha Sat 06-Sep-14 10:29:04

Never do a Sunday roast, but in winter will do a midweek one.

suebailey1 Sat 06-Sep-14 10:55:54

£15! silly moo - me that issmile

janerowena Sat 06-Sep-14 11:01:18

Now that DS is at Uni, only when he is at home or when DD is here. Because we both diet during term-time or are out in the evenings, we miss having things like spag bol or stroganov, boeuf bourguignonne or whatever, so have them on Sundays instead.

JackyB Sat 06-Sep-14 11:52:51

We do without meat for most of the week, and have fish on Fridays, and as there are only the two of us I don't often get a joint to roast. Just a steak or a nice breast of chicken, or a piece of salmon.

I love people coming though so I get a chance to do a roast, and as the kids' friends are often vegetarian, I just have a great time doing anything up to five vegetables. They love the roast potatoes (otherwise unknown here in Germany)

janerowena Sat 06-Sep-14 11:56:35

No, they do love their boiled potatoes, don't they. Or maybe in a sauce. I did a roast for my daughter's exchange student and she loved the potatoes too.

kittylester Sat 06-Sep-14 17:56:16

We do a roast most Sunday as there is usually someone here. DH and I love cold roast with lyonnaise potatoes and pickles on Mondays.

Galen Sat 06-Sep-14 17:58:53

What's a roast?

Gagagran Sat 06-Sep-14 18:08:59

What's lyonnaise potatoes? (Sound good!)

kittylester Sat 06-Sep-14 18:22:00

Potatoes sliced, boiled and then fried with onions (sort of bubble and squeak without the sprouts) but sounds posher! grin

Ana Sat 06-Sep-14 18:26:19

Déja vu!!!

These posts are nearly all the same as those posted on the thread we had going on this subject in May...grin

kittylester Sat 06-Sep-14 19:09:19

Sunday roasts are always worth doing again and again grin

Ana Sat 06-Sep-14 19:13:19

Every day of the week if you want! smile

susieb755 Sat 06-Sep-14 19:37:32

I nearly always do a roast on a sunday, love them all, pork crackling, rib of beef, leg of lamb- its such an easy and delicious meal to do, no faffing about

Greenfinch Sat 06-Sep-14 19:55:59

I never do a roast on Sunday. We often go out for a curry buffet or have a Chinese takeaway. Lovely ! No work to do and no washing up. Probably not very healthy though grin

Deedaa Sat 06-Sep-14 22:42:42

I think a lot of younger families don't have a Sunday roast because they don't know what to do with the left overs. Suebailey1 's £15 leg of lamb would be an expensive meal for two, but much more economical if it then became a curry, shepherd's pie or even rissoles.

ninathenana Sat 06-Sep-14 23:42:43

Mum always bought shoulder of lamb for Sunday roast. She fed a family of 4 and had enough left to have it cold with mash on Monday. I don't know how, to me that's like the loaves and fishes parable.

gillybob Sat 06-Sep-14 23:52:52

I very rarely do a traditional Sunday roast, on a Sunday, although I often do them on a Monday which the DGC call a Sunday-Monday dinner. It is always chicken as the DGC say that "chicken is not meat" confused. They love Yorkshire pudds (thank you aunt Bessie) smile

When DH and I have a joint of beef (very rarely)I cook the potatoes with the joint and gravy and the meat juices soak into the potatoes which is delicious.

rubylady Sun 07-Sep-14 03:27:50

If you do cook a chicken on a Sunday, how long can you eat left overs for? I've always thrown out on the Monday after the second meal from it. Can I do stock that day and use it for soup for Tuesday and Wednesday or is that pushing it?

smile