Gransnet forums

Food

Fruit scones

(34 Posts)
nanapug Fri 17-Oct-14 15:56:50

Am trying to find a really good fruit scone recipe but still can't find one my OH really rates (yes he is fussy ;)). Would you be kind enough to share your fruit scone recipe with me please?

overthehill Wed 26-Feb-20 17:53:05

I've tried loads if recipes but what I want is the sort of scone that sticks to the pallet with a slight tangy taste. I don't want scones that taste l8ke cake

BwarengaGriggs Tue 19-Nov-19 16:25:52

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

bikergran Wed 24-Apr-19 18:47:13

Im sure there was a recipe on here few weeks/months ago from GHouskeeping magazine.
It consisted of 3 ingredients.

Lemonade
double cream
flour

littleflo Wed 24-Apr-19 10:59:42

Thank you for this thread. I have just made scones from Lindy Looby while DH was out walking the dog. They were great but I thought they were a bit sweet. Then I read the recipient again 2 TABLESSPOONS of Sugar. I will make them again following the correct recipe.

DH said they were perfect

Bellanonna Tue 23-Apr-19 22:37:36

Both of you, this is quite an old thread!

BradfordLass72 Tue 23-Apr-19 22:02:25

pompa we are forced to visit them at least twice a week

Oh poor you, how awful grin gringringrin

margaretmorton Tue 23-Apr-19 12:09:39

Hi I’m trying your fruit scones this aft. Could I have your crusted cheese scone recipe too?

rosequartz Sat 18-Oct-14 16:33:10

I remember visiting my aunt for tea once and she was nearly in tears because she had wanted to make scones for all of us, but had no cream of tartar!

I did see someone on the tv recently who roughly mixed everything, then left the mixture in the fridge for a while and it seemed to come together more easily to cut out into scone shapes.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Oct-14 10:55:06

Self raising flour? Oh no! Mrs Beetlns stipulates plain flour with the correct teaspoonage of cream of tartar and bicarb. grin

granjura Sat 18-Oct-14 10:42:27

phoenix- this is what I find- I end up rolling too thinly because recipe says makes 12- so next time will try to just get 8 thicker ones. Might just work, thanks.

granjura Sat 18-Oct-14 10:40:56

Got my BeRo book in 1973- still using it all the time. I also have a pre 73 one with Imperial only measures.

Anne58 Fri 17-Oct-14 23:04:20

Oh granjo39 now you've nearly made me cry! My grandmother had a Bero recipe book, narrow sort of book, brown & white print! I made my first ever fruit cake (aged about 8) from that book! I sort of inherited it when she died, had it for more years than I care to remember. I have now realised that I left it behind when I left exdh (well, let's be honest it wouldn't be the first thing to come to mind when moving out) so that's another link gone.

annodomini Fri 17-Oct-14 22:57:37

The new baker in our village had a whole row of beautiful scones of many different kinds in the display case in front of the counter. Tempting. My DS1, when he was head chef in a nearby department store, early in his career, had a good line in cherry scones which the 'ladies who lunch' and the footballers' wives enjoyed with their morning coffee.

granjo39 Fri 17-Oct-14 22:50:20

The secret is- Don't roll the mixture with a rolling pin,just shape with your hands.
I always use the Bero recipe

Anne58 Fri 17-Oct-14 22:49:30

2oz butter, 1oz sugar, 8 oz self raising flour, rub in etc, then just enough milk to make a slightly stick dough. (Add sultanas to taste, within reason, before the milk.)

I also cheat (a bit) by rolling the dough out more thickly than the recipe suggests. Result? Well risen scones that look generous when cut in half ready for cream, jam etc!

PS According to my book it should make 12 scones, but I usually end up with 8.

Charleygirl Fri 17-Oct-14 22:40:36

I prefer Waitrose!

rosequartz Fri 17-Oct-14 21:34:53

You wouldn't want mine.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 17-Oct-14 21:17:30

My scone recipe comes from my Mrs Beeton's Cookbook, given to me in 1968.

#oldonesarethebest grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 17-Oct-14 21:16:19

Everything these days, in modern recipes, has to be made richer than the original.

nanapug Fri 17-Oct-14 20:31:46

I have always put an egg in my scones too. I have googled egg free scone recipes and they are very few and far between and tend to be for people who want egg free recipes for allergies. Think I will stick with putting an egg in and will try your recipe on Sunday "Lindy"

Lindylooby Fri 17-Oct-14 20:11:38

Paul Hollywood
Mary Berry and
Delia Smith all use eggs in their scone mix!
but each to their own.
all 6 children and 12 grandchildren reckon my scones are fab, and they never get the chance to go stale so I will stick to the recipe my nan first learnt in service in 1910!

Lindylooby Fri 17-Oct-14 20:06:12

My rock cakes are 1/2 fat to flour. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 17-Oct-14 20:03:04

No - no egg. Not in scones.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 17-Oct-14 20:02:25

The secret to a good scone is to have the mixture quite wet - dip the cutter in flour between cuttings so it doesn't stick - and make them deep.

Lindylooby Fri 17-Oct-14 20:01:20

Plain 3 inch cutter straight down, don't wiggle it or it won't rise evenly. Always added an egg, I make rock cakes as well nothing like my scones! Hehe