Gransnet forums

Food

Farewell, Dear Magimix

(27 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 14-Nov-14 19:14:18

It was circa 1980 when you came into my life,
You were highly recommended - so much faster than a knife,
You grated, chopped and pureed and your sponge mix was divine,
As a busy wife and mother I was happy you were mine.

You made breadcrumbs for the stuffing of the turkey or the goose,
Whizzed up fluffy brandy butter, salmon pate, chocolate mousse,
You shredded veg so expertly you didn't waste a bit
And your grated cheese on pasta soon became a massive hit.

I was sorry when I dropped your lid which caused a massive crack
But with the help of Sellotape we soon got back on track,
You soldiered on throughout the years, fulfilling every need
But you wobbled on the worktop and you couldn't make top speed.

Then this morning when I switched you on you didn't make a sound,
No puffs of flour escaping as your blades go whizzing round
And so tomorrow morning I will have to bite my lip
When DH removes your plug before I take you to the tip sad

hildajenniJ Fri 14-Nov-14 19:34:06

I have a brand new gadget,
It's called a Kitchen Ninja,
It makes breadcrumbs, grinds coffee beans,
Makes granulated into caster (rotten rhyme).

It is from the USA,
I could use it all day,
And I hope I don't offend,
It is really my new best friend. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 19:35:26

sad ((Hugs)) Merlot. flowers

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 19:35:49

Good bit of ;poetry btw. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 19:38:19

Are you going to buy another one?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 19:44:36

look, you can have a free recipe book After you've paid out close on three hundred pounds.

Purpledaffodil Fri 14-Nov-14 19:47:02

Well done Merlot. My Magimix circa 1984 went to the great kitchen in the sky long ago. I have had its replacement for at least 15 years and used it almost every day, but in that time it has gone through 2 bowls and lids. Three cheers for Magimix spares, albeit they are crazy money. Cannot compete with your verse, but heartily endorse your sentiments!grin

durhamjen Fri 14-Nov-14 19:58:22

Whatever you do, do not buy a Kenwood to replace it. I really regret that. My Magimix gave up three years ago, after 30 years, and I bought a cheaper Kenwood. I need to ask someone to help me get the bowl off, as it always sticks; that's quite a problem as I live on my own.

merlotgran Fri 14-Nov-14 20:07:56

I'd love that, jingl but way too expensive envy

I will definitely need a processor in time for Christmas so the hunt begins!

Any recommendations very welcome.

merlotgran Fri 14-Nov-14 20:09:22

I've heard some negative reports about Kenwood, durhamjen. Mixed reviews on Amazon.

Soutra Fri 14-Nov-14 20:12:57

Merlot Magimixes have a lifetime guarantee for the motor and all the other plastic parts can be bought through their website. Stay your hand! Go and ask at John Lewis- you might find you get a new machine- worth a try anyway.
My Kenwood chef was bought in 1980 and only " died" this summer.

durhamjen Fri 14-Nov-14 20:20:56

Decided I could not justify the cost of another Magimix, but I should really have asked for one as a joint present from all my family. Fortunately nowadays I only ever use the processor when others are here, but I have been known to leave it on the worktop until those eating the cake, etc., arrive to separate it for me.

My grandson has started baking now, but I show him using old-fashioned methods. He can rub in pastry as well as I can, and make proper sponge cakes.

The Magimix lasted me through a cafe and a guest house, making all sorts of cakes and biscuits, etc.
Making me quite envious of anyone who still has one.

merlotgran Fri 14-Nov-14 21:00:44

I hadn't thought about the guarantee, Soutra although I fear they will point out that it hasn't been properly maintained....I tend to work my gadgets to death.

I wonder if a new Magimix will be too big and heavy for my needs now I only cook for two apart from family get togethers?

Mind you, I'm always stocking up the freezer and I make lots of chutney etc.

Indecision, indecision hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Nov-14 21:31:07

here's a smaller one And it's a very nice colour.

merlotgran Fri 14-Nov-14 21:49:33

Thanks, jingl I've bookmarked it. I like the colour as well. 9Kgs is pretty heavy so it would have to sit out on a worktop.

Nansypansy Sat 15-Nov-14 07:39:01

I love my magimix too. The first one I had to let go when I sold my outside catering business but I just had to buy another one. Something I learned over the years is to never put it in the dishwasher as it made the bowl and lid more brittle. If you buy another one don't get one of the smaller ones as their motors are not as robust. They might seem expensive but divide that cost by the 35 years you had the last one Merlotgran.

merlotgran Sat 15-Nov-14 10:15:07

Oh heck! Does this mean I'll still be stuffing the turkey in 35 yrs time??

I'll be 102 shock

annodomini Sat 15-Nov-14 10:38:24

When my original Magimix gave up the ghost, I bought - you've guessed it - a Kenwood food processor which eventually went up in smoke. I took my courage and my bank card to my favourite retailer and bought a new Magimix which I haven't regretted, although its gadget box takes up a lot of room on the worktop.

ffinnochio Sat 15-Nov-14 10:49:05

Am very happy with my Magimix as well. I have the one that Jings linked to. Just been whizzing with it this morning... smile

goldengirl Sat 15-Nov-14 15:51:35

I don't think you can beat a Magimix. Easy to use and easy to clean. Worth every penny in my book.

suzied Sun 16-Nov-14 05:37:03

Lidl have a mixer on sale this week for £79, no idea whether it's any good. I still have my magimix from years ago. It's so heavy I don't often get it out of the cupboard.

tiggypiro Sun 16-Nov-14 15:47:54

If the Lidl mixer is as good as the garden shredder I bought 2 years ago it will be great !! If it turns out not to be they will take it back - check if/when you buy it.

Purpledaffodil Sun 16-Nov-14 18:42:45

I got bought a Kenwood Chef last Christmas, it is ok but tends to stick when you lift the beaters out of the bowl AND they suggest you calibrate the K beater to make sure it reaches the bottom of the bowl! Isn't that their job? Good for things Magimix isn't like whipping cream and meringue but otherwise I could live without it. Also have a Dualit hand mixer which does the whipping stuff very well.
Have a large Magimix and don't find it too big as it comes with a smaller bowl for smaller tasks. Only two of us at home now, but soup for two fits in the large bowl well. Go for it Merlot! It's only money and will you feel much richer if you don't buy it?(My mantra when having an inward tussle about a dear purchase)grin

Purpledaffodil Sun 16-Nov-14 18:45:25

I agree it is heavy, but I solve that by never putting it in a cupboard suzied. Much more accessible always on the worktop too!

annodomini Sun 16-Nov-14 19:31:09

I bought a John Lewis stand mixer some years ago - it was on offer and turned out to be a poor bargain. However, I managed to sell it on Ebay for only a little less than I'd paid for it. Hence the Magimix!