Gransnet forums

Food

Quality Street or Roses: that is the question!

(92 Posts)
papaoscar Tue 02-Dec-14 15:49:15

Those big round tins of temptation and pleasure are appearing again. Celebrations are good but everyday and the After Eights essential, whereas the QS & R twins do leave us in a quandary. I think we'll have to carry out a small field trial of both very soon. Trouble is coming up on the outside is Ferero Rochas, Turkish Delight and the real dark horse, M & S Chocolate Ginger. Its going to be a very close finish.

Nonnie Tue 02-Dec-14 15:59:06

Easy - don't buy the After Eights or anything else produced by Nestle! We boycott all their products on principle. Cadburys gets my vote

janeainsworth Tue 02-Dec-14 16:11:04

I'd rather have a very small box of posh chocolates from the local chocolatier than a tin of either Roses or Quality St blush
Sorry! blush

papaoscar Tue 02-Dec-14 16:11:54

By Cadbury's, * Nonnie* , do you mean the offerings of Mondelez International of New Jersey? Many of the old firms like Frys, Terry's, Rowntrees, Trebor etc seem to have gone or been absorbed, and I think its a shame. I shall never forget the heavenly smell of chocolate at Bournville but even a Mars bar doesn't seem to taste the same these days. Nestles - no, I don't admire some of their trading practices but you can say that about many big businesses.

sunseeker Tue 02-Dec-14 16:33:26

I don't buy Cadbury chocolate since they were taken over. Before the take over there were assurances that the factory in Keynsham would be kept open within weeks of the take over the factory was closed and the production moved abroad. Its Ferrero Rocher for me all the way

mrshat Tue 02-Dec-14 16:36:51

Quality Street; Ferrero Rocher and M&S Chocolate Ginger for DH! grin

hildajenniJ Tue 02-Dec-14 16:41:22

I prefer Roses, they don't have any of those coconut ones that nobody but me eats.
I am the only one in our house who likes Turkish Delight, but it has to be the real stuff from Turkey, not the rose and lemon in a box.
Going back to chocolate long gone, I loved Five Boys chocolate. (perhaps not politically correct these days).

Liz46 Tue 02-Dec-14 16:44:39

Thorntons champagne truffles. I have asked for some for Christmas and will be disappointed if my daughters forgets (as she did last year).

Stansgran Tue 02-Dec-14 16:49:15

I still long for Callard and Bowser's nougat.

Ana Tue 02-Dec-14 16:50:42

What was non-PC about Fry's Five Boys, hilda? confused

They were just boys with different expressions on their faces, weren't they?

annodomini Tue 02-Dec-14 16:51:18

Thornton's chocs are preferable to Roses and Quality Street - in my opinion. But I agree with JaneA that the chocolates from a good local chocolatier would be best of all. Last year, on my birthday, my family gave me a box of chocolates from an artisan chocolatier. The twist was that the box was also made of chocolate! Delicious. My DiL is very partial to Monty Bojangles chocolate truffles and I am with her all the way on that. I must remember to put a box of them in my Christmas suitcase for her.

chloe1984 Tue 02-Dec-14 17:38:47

Only rose and violet creams will suffice but am happy to eat all the Roses or Quality Street if none of the above are available.

papaoscar Tue 02-Dec-14 17:43:22

Yes, I remember 5 Boys, and Tiffin, and Callard & Bowsers Nougat + their Butterscotch. And Harvey's Bristol Cream Chocolates. But here's an even older favourite - Gray Dunnn's Blue Riband Chocolate Wafers. All long gone. Dreadful business, Christmas.

granjura Tue 02-Dec-14 17:49:20

Agree with Jane and Anno. neither. Full of palm oil and very little chocolate and taste like lard and sugar.

But then I am Swiss, so a bit biased here ;)- it has to be real cocoabutter 70% chocolate- definitely quality over quantity.

Dark chocolate gingers are a must in this house though.

kittylester Tue 02-Dec-14 18:04:09

A box of Thorntons in case my brother doesn't buy us the Fortnum and Mason ones, Elizabeth Shaw mints, chocolate brazils, Newberry Fruits.

We always end up throwing away some QS or Roses about mid January.

Kiora Tue 02-Dec-14 18:18:37

Mmmm chocolate. My husband bought back 1kg of Belgium chocolate from his trip to Ypres in November. They are in the cool cupboard waiting for Christmas. I am really proud of myself that I havnt been tempted. It is only the 2nd December, so there's still time. Mmmmmm chocolate

Maggiemaybe Tue 02-Dec-14 18:26:26

Chocolate would never be thrown away in this house, kittylester! I have been known to eat a large box in a sitting, and then feel very guilty, and very sick. Marzipan chocolates, particularly Niederegger, and Charbonnel et Walker rose and violet creams are my favourites, Thorntons are high up there, so are Cadburys still. I really don't like so-called quality high cocoa dark chocolate, but wouldn't see it go to waste. I claim not to like American chocolate, which I think tastes somehow soapy, but have never turned it down....

vampirequeen Tue 02-Dec-14 18:31:11

Quality Street every time. Just because they bring back so many childhood memories. Mum used to buy a quarter pound a week on the run up to Christmas and put them in a big jar which we would excitedly watch as it filled up. Then Dad would use cotton wool, paper and card to turn the jar into a snowman. No one was allowed to touch the sweets until after tea on Christmas Eve. Removing the snowman's hat and picking a sweet was the signal that Christmas had officially started.

merlotgran Tue 02-Dec-14 18:32:23

It'll be Quality Street for us this Christmas (more toffee than Roses). With a house full of chocolate loving teenage DGCs, expensive chocs would be hoovered up before I got a look in.

Greyduster Tue 02-Dec-14 18:37:10

The only thing Roses and Quality Street are good for is using instead of money in a game of Newmarket when my grandson is here! They don't actually taste of anything anymore. Come to that, neither do Thorntons Continentals. They used to make them not far from where I lived when I was growing up. You couldn't get them outside the North of England then, and they were considered to be a bit special. I once sent a German exchange student home with a box for her mother and she wrote and said they were among the best chocolates she had ever eaten. I love peppermint creams, plain or chocolate covered, and good rum truffles!

rosequartz Tue 02-Dec-14 18:39:32

Not Cadbury's! That American woman, head of Kraft, took over and promised not to close the Bristol factory then promptly did so. A lot of their chocolates are made in Poland now.

Oh, I see that sunseeker has already said that, but worth reiterating!

rosequartz Tue 02-Dec-14 18:43:57

I did buy Thornton's last year, but the fillings did all taste the same. We have been given a couple of boxes already so I may not buy any more.

Perhaps I'll buy some lovely dried fruit and nuts as well instead

Who makes M&S chocolates? They are quite nice.

mrsmopp Tue 02-Dec-14 18:44:27

Lidl and Aldi have some lovely chocolates at the mo.
You might all like the posh ones, but don't knock these till you've tried them.
Well, we like them anyway

granjura Tue 02-Dec-14 18:46:00

One of our wonderful neighbours in the UK was a Cadbury's - such a fantastic Quaker family with such high ethics and integrity- in her 80s now, she must despair at what has happened to their chocolate and 'their workers'. Palm oil, sugar, chemicals and emulsifiers do not a chocolate make- yuk.

Will be making our own chocolate truffles, as grandson is highly allergic to eggs and nuts- to make sure he can enjoy some with us. Again, quality over quantity I'm happy to say.

granjura Tue 02-Dec-14 18:47:35

It's not about posh, Mrs Mopp- but basic ingredients. Will have a look at Lidl as the new one is opening tomorrow (in nearby France)