Gransnet forums

Food

Should I feel guilty????

(37 Posts)
felice Fri 12-Dec-14 17:59:48

I just gave DGS a small tin of Spaghetti Hoops for his supper, he had never had them before, 2yrs 10months, a friend brought them from the UK.
He loved them,, I hate them, we cannot get them here unless you go to a very overpriced English Shop.
Friend who brought them asked him on Skype if he liked them and wanted more, YEA YEA YEA.
DD knew, but we didn't really expect him to like them as he never eats processed food.
Just hope he forgets!!!!!!!!

thatbags Fri 12-Dec-14 18:11:03

No, you shouldn't feel guilty. This is what's in Heinz Spag hoops: Spaghetti Hoops (42%, Water, Durum Wheat Semolina), Tomatoes (41%), Water, Sugar, Modified Cornflour, Salt, Citric Acid, Spice, Garlic Salt, Herb Extract, Spice Extract.

What is there to object to? It's just cooked spaghetti in a tomato sauce in a tin.

Some people will object to the sugar, I suppose, but other than that it's just normal food and just the kind of thing most kids like.

petallus Fri 12-Dec-14 18:16:03

I give my 9 year old GS a pot noodle quite frequently. He loves them.

rosequartz Fri 12-Dec-14 18:16:18

I have given them to the DGC occasionally when they didn't want what we were having for lunch. They don't have additives, (they do have some sugar so take the DGC to the park afterwards!) and I give them a bowl of grated cheese to go with them.

It's fine, it's not their main meal. If DIL objected I wouldn't serve them.
I buy the Winnie the Pooh and Dora the Explorer ones. blush

felice Fri 12-Dec-14 18:21:23

Thanks, it was watching him tucking in to them, he had one of Grandmas sugar free raspberry lollies afterwards, and seems fine, we might not tell Papa.
They will be awful handy to have around.

annodomini Fri 12-Dec-14 18:28:09

Strangely, generations of children have eaten tinned pasta and have come to no harm. tchshock

rosequartz Fri 12-Dec-14 18:29:31

My DGDs love them and I know it is something they will eat (only occasionally!).
You can give him an apple mid-morning and some other fruit in the afternoon. grin

felice Fri 12-Dec-14 18:38:29

he does not actually live with me, i am in the Granny flat downstairs, and Papa is a French chef, now working with Cheese!!!!!!
He is a wee thing but eats anything put in front of him, I think it was just the pure pleasure on his face when he was eating them, I almost felt guilty about not giving him them before.

Agus Fri 12-Dec-14 18:50:16

I always keep a couple of tins of alphabet spaghetti for GDs. Great standby for those times when they are unexpectedly here and hungry.

kittylester Fri 12-Dec-14 20:19:28

My dgc love them for lunch with toast and I don't feel quilty at all!!

vampirequeen Fri 12-Dec-14 21:29:27

I don't see anything wrong with good old Heinz food. Spag hoops, baked beans and soups are all in my store cupboard for quick and easy lunches.

Ana Fri 12-Dec-14 21:37:44

Heinz make every effort to make their food aimed at children palatable, of course.

I do feel quite sorry for children who are never allowed anything that hasn't been home-made from scratch...

Greyduster Fri 12-Dec-14 22:40:50

I used to give my grandson pasta shapes in tomato sauce for his lunch. They are a good source of carbohydrate and he will not eat potatoes in any form. I wish I could replicate the sauce, as he loves pasta, but won't eat any sauce we can either make or buy, so just has it plain with cheese! His mummy and I continue to experiment! I remember Jane Fearnly-Whittingstall listing, in her Good Granny Guide, all the things she used to feed her children that she wouldn't dream of giving her grandchildren; Findus crispy pancakes, angel delight, spaghetti hoops, beef burgers and fish fingers. I'm sure many of us did from time to time and never turned a hair or guilt tripped about it (mine used to love tinned Campbell's meatballs!). If your DGS likes them for a light lunch or supper, let him enjoy them!

Soutra Fri 12-Dec-14 22:50:03

Yes you should feel guilty you should have given him Alphabetti Spaghetti
and tested his spelling then it would have been educational!!
tchgrin

Nelliemoser Fri 12-Dec-14 23:11:11

The odd can of spaghetti will not do anyone much harm. It can be rather high in salt and added sugar but it gets carbohydrate into them.

When DD was small one of her favourite quick meals was spaghetti hoops fish fingers and peas, but she would keep threading the hoops onto her fingers and putting them into her mouth that way.

whenim64 Fri 12-Dec-14 23:16:35

All my grandchildren like pasta shapes from a tin, including the macaroni cheese which I can make so much better [smug emoticon], but they've become accustomed to these tastes at home. I don't know if anyone has tried Angel Delight lately? It's disgusting - can't believe I used to give it my children.

Greyduster Sat 13-Dec-14 09:18:30

Whenin64, neither can I! I picked a packet up in a supermarket recently, read the ingredients and very quickly put it back. Grandad makes milk jelly instead!

thatbags Sat 13-Dec-14 09:37:58

When we were children and used to go and stay with a maiden aunt for a few days, she would ask us what we wanted for tea (our mother never did, which was fine and made the visits to aunty rather special). On the first day my brother and I always asked for her homemade macaroni cheese followed by Angel Delight.

She used to buy Edam cheese, which we didn't get at home, and we would make things out of the wax.

Marmight Sat 13-Dec-14 09:39:31

I always keep a tin of ravioli as a standby for the GC's and they absolutely love Ambrosia rice/custard and Angel Delight. They eat very healthy food normally, so Granny's are allowed to cheat occasionally wink

Agus Sat 13-Dec-14 09:50:41

Angel Delight at Granny's has to be butterscotch flavour, if not that, ice cream with a wafer and they cover this with a selection of sprinkles. The latter, they prepare themselves. smile

Find your name with alphabet spaghetti.

felice Sat 13-Dec-14 12:10:08

can't get Alphabetti Spaghetti here, thehoops came from the UK via a friend.
DGS likes pasta dinosaurs in home made tomato sauce, the difference with the tinned one is usually the sweetness, we use a little honey, tomatoes can be bitter and really need to be well cooked.
You can buy tinned processed foods here but the quality is not great as it is not very popular as people still like to cook from fresh, most still buy bread eveyday and you often see business men on the way home from the office with a baguette.
Our local corner shop, circa 1908 gets 2 bread deliveries a day.

whitewave Sat 13-Dec-14 12:14:42

Thursday after school was always spaghetti on toast for me and then I watched Popeye on television.

Wednesday was Girl comic day

annodomini Sat 13-Dec-14 12:53:07

I agree with you when that Angel Delight is revolting. In a fir of nostalgia I bought a packet and it wasn't as I remembered it at all. Has it changed or have I? However, having read this thread, I'm beginning to feel nostalgia for spaghetti hoops on toast, but have none in my cupboard - just as well.

annodomini Sat 13-Dec-14 12:53:23

A FIT of nostalgia.

whenim64 Sat 13-Dec-14 13:16:17

anno I saw butterscotch Angel Delight mentioned as having that lovely toffee taste, so bought some last year in a momentary nostalgic lapse. It not only didn't taste of butterscotch, but had a distinct chemical taste. Definitely not a food!