Gransnet forums

Food

Wine in Shepherd's Pie

(44 Posts)
kittylester Tue 16-Dec-14 07:05:59

On the Monday after Christmas we have 14 family members coming for lunch! tchshock. I have already made vast shepherd's pies [actually it's beef so technically cottage pie!] with red wine in the gravy!

DH has now invited his niece and her new partner to join us! My problem is that they are both recovering alcoholics and I don't know whether the fact that the alcohol in the red wine will have cooked off is good enough or should I make yet more shepherd's pie without wine!

I hesitate to ask them in case they just give a polite 'It will be fine' when it actually won't! tchconfused

Agus Tue 16-Dec-14 07:09:55

I asked a chef about this one once and he reassured me that any alcohol is cooked off. Love shepherd pie tchsmile

thatbags Tue 16-Dec-14 07:12:00

Yes, the alcohol evaporates during cooking.

annsixty Tue 16-Dec-14 07:15:15

I also would hesitate to ask in case it highlights their problem. My gut reaction is that it will be fine and the tiny amount of wine they will have will not be a problem even if it has not been cooked out. Unless of course you put several bottles in!!!

kittylester Tue 16-Dec-14 07:28:29

There is quite a lot in Ann tchblush but they are happy to talk about the issue!

When I was talking to DN she said she would not cook with wine and would avoid the recipe or use a substitute!

Why is life never simple!

thatbags Tue 16-Dec-14 07:31:48

Cooking with alcohol is simple, kitty. You don't have to worry about it. The alcohol is not there after cooking, only the flavour of whatever be erage you used, which is why it's used—for the flavour, not for the alcohol.

It's only in uncooked things like trifle that the alcohol remains as alcohol.

thatbags Tue 16-Dec-14 07:32:06

beverage

kittylester Tue 16-Dec-14 07:36:54

I think the concensus is that it will be ok. Which is what I thought! Phew!! Crisis of confidence when I remembered what DN said! Thank you! wine

Marmight Tue 16-Dec-14 08:24:01

You could always rustle up a mini non-wine version if it helps you feel better! wine
I am glad I spotted this thread as I had completely forgotten to take the mince out of the freezer for the cottage pie I am making tonight ready for the troops arrival on friday - phew.

Charleygirl Tue 16-Dec-14 08:57:59

It will be 100% fine- the taste will be great.

kittylester Tue 16-Dec-14 09:27:30

Marmight 'rustle up' and the week before Christmas are contradictory terms! That's why I made them weeks ago. As it is, the one I had earmarked for us later in January will have to be eaten too. And, I've run out of freezer space! tchshock Just hope DH doesn't have any more good ideas!!

I know it will taste great charley I always put lots a splash of red wine in, but I didn't want to bring about their downfall. It has quite a bit of redcurrant jelly and Yorkshire Relish in too but I don't think they will do anyone any harm.

tiggypiro Tue 16-Dec-14 09:32:01

Don't mention the wine - just tell them the lovely taste is down to the redcurrant jelly and relish (and only if they ask )!

Teetime Tue 16-Dec-14 09:45:14

Part of me says Yes its Ok but another part wonders what AA would have to say about it.tchconfused My ex is an ex- alcoholic (although now almost and ex everything tchsad I know he wouldn't eat it as strongly advised by the Liver Consultant not to as even a small amount of alcohol needs to be processed by the liver. Sorry!!

Marmight Tue 16-Dec-14 09:49:03

kitty tchgrin I am sure you could find a 'window' for rustling purposes !

kittylester Tue 16-Dec-14 09:49:07

Doesn't the fact that the alcohol has burned off mean that it is just grape juice Teetime? tchconfused

merlotgran Tue 16-Dec-14 10:02:17

The alcohol will be harmless but the flavour will be evident so maybe it's a bit mean to give recovering alcoholics a meal that contains the flavour they used to love but are no longer allowed to have.

Somebody is bound to mention the ingredients so I'd err on the safe side and make a separate one that's flavoured with something strong like Bovril so it still has a bit of oomph.

thatbags Tue 16-Dec-14 16:52:15

I think there is such a thing as worrying too much. If the food is harmless, which it is, there is no need to worry. Any winey taste will be well blended with the meat juices so that you have an alcohol-free wine-enriched gravy. That is not the same as alcoholic gravy-enriched wine!!

thatbags Tue 16-Dec-14 16:52:31

Stop worrying. Serve the food. Enjoy your meal.

Riverwalk Tue 16-Dec-14 17:12:03

I don't think that all the alcohol is burned-off.

It would be easier if you just asked your DN in advance so that you would know whether to make another pie.

It could make a psychological difference to them.

feetlebaum Tue 16-Dec-14 17:18:22

@kittylester - There's no way to make it revert to its un-fermented state!
Which implies that much of the natural sugars will be gone (presumably into the now evaporated alcohol).

rosequartz Tue 16-Dec-14 17:19:54

I think I would make a separate one for them, flavoured with redcurrant jelly or tomato paste.

It does take a lot of boiling for the alcohol to be boiled off (as I found when I was following a recipe for boeuf bourguignon which I was going to feed to children as well).

A BBC recipe says it dissipates in about a minute, but I heard it took about 20 minutes of boiling. However, this link suggests it is much longer:

www.ochef.com/165.htm

rosequartz Tue 16-Dec-14 17:22:27

It wouldn't be fair to give them any alcohol, better safe than sorry.

thatbags Tue 16-Dec-14 17:43:14

If all that's true (no references, I noticed), then blimmin' 'eck, kitty, you're going to have to make another pie.

janerowena Tue 16-Dec-14 18:45:57

From this article, it looks as if you are fine as long as you don't know it is in there.

www.rehabs.com/how-can-you-avoid-the-dreaded-holiday-freelapse/

Because it generates a feeling of 'might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb'.

kittylester Tue 16-Dec-14 18:50:36

Looks like it bags, better safe than sorry, flipping gecko!