Gransnet forums

Food

Please suggest replacement for liquer in this cake.

(10 Posts)
shysal Sat 27-Dec-14 13:50:21

www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/orange-almond-and-chocolate-dessert-cake/
I plan to make this recipe when the family all come on Tuesday. As there will be children present and most of us are tea-total, what should I use to replace the 3-4 tbsp of orange liquer? Can I use orange juice, or would a syrup or something else be more suitable? Any ideas would be most welcome.
I plan to make some orange and chocolate macarons (my latest obsession) to decorate the dessert. Just noticed the calorie count, 900 per slice!!!!
Thanking you in anticipation.

Gagagran Sat 27-Dec-14 14:32:31

shysal I have had a read of the recipe and it seems to me that you could replace the liqueur with a little fresh squeezed orange juice - a bit like when you make a lemon drizzle cake. It does look rather yummy!

glammanana Sat 27-Dec-14 16:05:04

Yes shysal orange juice will do the job fine no worries,I would also mix in some orange zest into the mix but that is just my personal choice. enjoy !! don't even think of the calorie count not worth thinking about tchgrin

Ariadne Sat 27-Dec-14 21:42:25

I had run out of Limoncello when I made my jewel cake, so I put on the juice and zest of a whole lemon - it is just as good.

thatbags Sat 27-Dec-14 22:56:29

I think I need to have a go at making this cake. Looks yumtastic!

shysal Sun 28-Dec-14 07:10:07

Thank you for the advice ladies. The juice and zest of an orange it is. I shall let you know how it turns out. Any left-overs will be sent home with the visitors or given to friends. Otherwise I might find myself eating cake for breakfast next day! tchblush

shysal Tue 30-Dec-14 16:52:12

Cake was a hit, but HUGE! There was too much mixture for the tin, so I made a few small 'cook's tasters'. The result wasn't actually very sweet, so I tried using sugar with the orange juice and zest to make a syrup, which improved it no end. Have added a photo to my profile in case you are interested.

NanKate Tue 30-Dec-14 17:01:27

I have just looked at the photo of your cake, it looks splendiferous - you clever girl Shysal.

Purpledaffodil Tue 30-Dec-14 17:55:20

Ooh that looks like a wonderful use of calories and so beautiful. Interesting, the use of boiled orange purée. I have a Mary Berry lemon cake recipe which uses a lemon purée. I was dubious before I made it, but it does give delicious and moist results. Well done Shysal

shysal Tue 30-Dec-14 19:00:22

I ruined my food processor by whizzing the oranges when still hot. The bowl and lid are now opaque!