Gransnet forums

Food

tips for next years xmas dinner please

(29 Posts)
anneey Mon 29-Dec-14 11:27:15

I am a good cook, yet find keeping everything hot at the end extremely difficult. I wouldnt dream of buying ready cooked 'anything'.Although I dont blame anyone for doing so.
I Cook... Turkey Stuffing Pigs in blankets Bread sauce Cranberry sauce (can serve cold) Roast potatoes Red cabbage Roast parsnips Sprouts with chesnuts Peas and carrots (together) and ofcourse gravy.
I do all the prep on Xmas Eve, but there is always this terrible panic at the end. I have no excuse as I have a double oven, and 2 microwaves. Any tips out there pleeese?

Nonu Tue 30-Dec-14 14:59:09

We have a marvellous Hostess trolley that belonged to my Mother, what a truly great thing at Christmas , keeps the food warm after it has been cooked , wouldn't be without it , holds plenty of food so it can all go in there .
Has a heated compartment underneath to keep plates hot , as we don"t like cold plates in this house.
tchsmile

Noni Tue 30-Dec-14 18:37:40

So I three quarters roast the potatoes the night before, then leave them to cool in the roasting tray. When the turkey is resting the next day put them in the oven to finish cooking - works brilliantly. Same with the red cabbage. It definitely tastes better the next day, especially if you add some red wine just before putting it in the oven the next day to heat up. Also ask someone to bring something for you which you can just cook/heat up. Definitely takes a bit of the pressure off. I know it's still a hassle, but these things definitely help.I don't have a warmer tray, but everyone helps put things out on the table and it seems to work OK. Everything tastes so delicious that if something's a bit cold it doesn't seem to matter. Good luck for next year!

Noni Tue 30-Dec-14 18:39:50

Forgot to say you can do the parsnips the same way as the roast potatoes I would think. I make the base of the gravy the day before, from the giblets, then add the cooking juices at the last minute, along with anything else you like to add.