Gransnet forums

Food

easy chocolate brownies perfect for making with gran kids

(41 Posts)
Ruby6918 Tue 27-Jan-15 17:29:26

Lidl to a choclate brownie mix for 99p i bought it to get grandson baking with me as it seemed easy, it was AMAZING, 1 egg cold water and a little oil and its far nicer than bought ones, the wee man loved mixing it all up and it was a one bowl, one whisk wonder, give it a go

granjura Wed 28-Jan-15 18:28:41

Golly no idea my post would cause such a furore. Now I've re-read the offensive post- and it explains why I personally said why I can't use the recommended packet (not only egg allergy, but also many of the additive in packets may be a problem too, due to his severe and life-threatening allergies (not bogus modern Chelsea intolerances ;) ). So, personally, I prefer to make from scratch as then I can be absolutely sure what is in the mix (read packet mixes, there are often (too) many and difficult to check additives. So I am right to be very careful- ever had to stab your GS with an epi-pen whislt dialling 999, and hold his hand whilst his face and throat doubles in size and he can't breathe, and has to be in-tubated? NO? then you are very lucky.

In my post, I then say, politely, that 'if I may' it's so easy to do yourself with GC, so why not? It is true that I believe, again personally and without judgement, that it is educational for even young children to see how quick and easy baking is- and that resorting to a packet it just not necessary. Measuring ingredients is also educational as they have to use millilitres and grams in school- and learning hands on is worth X100 what they see in a book, or more.

Apologies if my comment caused offence- it certainly was not meant.

loopylou Wed 28-Jan-15 19:22:33

Well Granjura I'm making your chocolate brownies tomorrow with BF and her 2 nut and egg-allergic GS's grin!
Your description of a child in anaphylaxis is terrifying, I luckily have never had to witness it but I did lose a boyfriend to anaphylactic shock from a bee sting when I was 17.
Personally I agree with everything you say, that's how my children learnt to bake and cook (but I do resort to packets sometimes!) x

loopylou Wed 28-Jan-15 19:24:01

PS never much fancied bread after my DCs had finished....sort of grey-ish and like bricks grin!

granjura Wed 28-Jan-15 19:38:38

Oooo watch out- the recipe I put on has 2 eggs and walnuts, so not at all suitable for those 2. I have several recipes for egg and nut free biscuits and cake- but not brownies. So if you find one, I'd be very grateful. I have written to Be-Ro to ask their bakers to come up with one, but they haven't got back to me.

One upsetting thing is, that so many people these days have 'bogus' allergies, which are in fact intolerances in many cases- that many people just shrug their shoulders and ignore those who do have REAL SEVERE AND LIFE-THREATENING ALLERGIES, like our lovely GS. The last time he was rushed to A&E, a little girlfriend had just given him a peck on the cheek and must have touched his lips. She had had biscuits after lunch which contained egg- so very little is needed to have a severe reaction.

Thanks for your concern- but we digress. As said, using packet mixes is a nightmare with a child with allergies- as so many additives are used in such packets. So easy to make biscuits from scratch- so, again personally, just can't see the point. The 'cookery' teacher at my last school really tried hard to encourage kids to cook simply from scratch- making pancakes, Yourkshire puds, cakes and biscuits, and 1000s of recipes is so so simple and so much cheaper, with much more wholesome ingredients. I'm sure Jamie would agree, and many Chefs. Keep it simple, make it yourself- easy peasy.

loopylou Wed 28-Jan-15 19:47:19

Crikey, didn't read it carefully enough....thank you!

rosequartz Wed 28-Jan-15 19:49:36

I understand that, granjura.
My DD has coeliac, which she didn't find out until recently. Not as frightening as your DGS but causing all sorts of problems over many years.
She has to read the labels on everything even though she cooks everything from scratch.

I think the idea of making up your own mixes and keeping them in the freezer is a good idea. At the moment, though, 3 year old DGD's idea of 'cooking' is making a smoothie, chopping up the banana and strawberries and pressing the button to whizz it with yogurt or milk and icecream (I just have to make sure not to turn the electricity on at the plug until the lid is on!).

loopylou Wed 28-Jan-15 19:52:36

Granjura BF says Mumsnet has an egg and nut free Brownies recipe so we're going to have a go at that instead smile, knowing the two little lads' enthusiasm it should be interesting!

granjura Wed 28-Jan-15 20:01:18

It's hard isn't it rose. The special problem about egg allergy, is accidental contamination from others (as the little peck on the cheek), hands, any touch, from furniture, plates, pots and pans. At least with gluten, you can 'just (I know- sounds easier than it is) avoid gluten foods- but contamination from traces is not a big issue. Makes going to camp or trips so difficult, one parent has to go with every time. Both parents volunteer and have trained, at their time and expense, to be trainers for the one sport he truly enjoys- so they are always there to keep an eye (but he trains with another trainer- as he needs 'space' away from parents- from afar, and would be immediately on hand should anything go wrong. It is very hard work and stressful- but we all keep cool for his sake. He is otherwise a very normal boy and very happy and adventurous.

If you do get a chance to share with me the egg free brownie recipe, would be grateful. I have a really good recipe for chocolate cake and banana bread- if desired.

Stansgran Wed 28-Jan-15 20:07:22

I used to buy crumble mix in a packet so DD1 could make something while her baby sister was being fed. They survived. She just stirred round and round and then we added the apple and cooked it later. They also had spaghetti hoops and scrambled egg and junket and bananas and custard. They thrived. I've only really had time to cook from scratch in recent years in retirement. My DGCs always start their cooking journey with me with a five cup cake,then creme caramel,rice pud and baked apples

granjura Wed 28-Jan-15 20:11:10

Both DD1 and her DH work very long hours, but cooking from scratch and making home-made sandwiches and packed lunches is not a choice, it is a life-saving necessity.

We both worked long hours too, and always cooked from scratch. It is not that time consuming, really once you get used to it, and cook and freeze batches- honest ;)

granjura Wed 28-Jan-15 20:12:34

The point, Stansgran, is that our GS would NOT survive- so I am very glad for you that yours can. It certainly does make life easier, that is for sure ;)

loopylou Wed 28-Jan-15 20:21:54

Granjura Here's the recipe we're going to try, it may be worth seeking out vegan recipes for your DGS? You can add nuts to this one if you like!

Vegan Brownies

250gm plain flour
350gm Demerara sugar
65gm Cocoa powder
1tsp salt
1tsp baking powder

Mix all together and add
250ml water
250ml vegetable oil
1tsp vanilla extract

Spread evenly in 23x33cm (9x13") greased tin and bake for 25-30 minutes at 180 or Gas mark 4 until top no longer shiny. If you prefer less gooey then bake for 5-10 minutes longer or when a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before cutting in to squares.

I'm going to line the base of the tin with baking parchment as rarely manage to get any Brownies recipes out of tin intact! grin

annsixty Wed 28-Jan-15 20:23:14

Growing up during the 40's marrying in the(late) 50's I never had a choice but cooking from scratch and DH still would not eat a takeaway but I did use cake mixes with GC and I will use M&S ready meals. Horses for courses but I think I have digressed

Ana Wed 28-Jan-15 20:26:45

Of course some can't use certain ingredients if family members are allergic, that goes without saying.

I don't think anyone was 'offended' by your original post, granjura, although I did feel that the OP might have felt rather dismissed.

granjura Wed 28-Jan-15 20:28:42

Thanks loopilou will try. And thanks for reminding me that there are many more Vegan sites than egg-free. Great source.