Gransnet forums

Food

fruit-flavoured vinegars (rhubarb and strawberry)

(5 Posts)
hildajenniJ Thu 13-Aug-15 17:49:02

Going off topic rather, I made some jellied beetroot on Tuesday. Instead of the usual raspberry jelly, I used a black cherry jelly. I wasn't sure if I would like the cherry flavour with the beetroot but it is lovely and is a hit with the OH.

Indinana Thu 13-Aug-15 08:54:53

I've never made - or even tasted - fruit vinegars, but I've always thought they sound so appealing. Raspberry vinegar, yes, that's the one I've always liked the sound of. It does seem to be the most popular one so I'm guessing the flavour of raspberries particularly lends itself to this.
You will have to report back MamaCaz and let us know how your first batch goes - and how you use it smile

MamaCaz Thu 13-Aug-15 08:38:41

Raspberry vinegar does seem to be one of the most traditional ones, Ann - even if I'd never heard of it until I started Googling vinegar recipes! It sounds nice. (On Yorkshire pudding? Mmm!) I might give that a go if I get a glut of raspberries this autumn.

I've taken the plunge now and started off a batch of rhubarb and strawberry, combining two separate recipes that I Googled. I've opted for the steeping method.

Fingers crossed!

annsixty Tue 11-Aug-15 14:35:14

I am sorry that I don't but it brought back very happy memories of raspberry vinegar which the mother of one of my school friends used to make. It was vey thick and syrupy and we used to have it on Yorkshire pudding.I have tried the commercially produced ones but they are a pale imitation of how I remember it.

MamaCaz Tue 11-Aug-15 14:26:22

Has anyone any experience of making fruit-flavoured vinegars? I didn't even know these even existed until very recently, but fancy having a go at it now.
As rhubarb and strawberry go really well together in a dessert, I'm guessing that the same would be true in a vinegar. I don't suppose any of you have tried this combination, have you? If so, I'd love a recipe.

Failing that, I might try combining two separate recipes that I've found. However, the rhubarb recipe involves boiling the ingredients together, whereas the strawberry one involves steeping the ingredients at room temperature for a couple of days, so I think I would have to do those stages separately before combining them. Obviously, it would be better if someone knew of a recipe that brought the two together from the start smile