Gransnet forums

Food

Old eggs

(11 Posts)
shysal Sat 29-Aug-15 14:05:56

I have eaten eggs which are a couple of months out of date, and kept at room temperature. I break them for a sniff test before cooking, but have never known one to be off. The same goes for most foods, I usually ignore the dates. N.B. I haven't had a tummy upset for years!

Lona Sat 29-Aug-15 13:48:42

I hardly ever throw eggs away even though I sometimes keep them for several weeks. Never been a problem.

BlackeyedSusan Sat 29-Aug-15 13:09:36

eat the sinking ones.. they are fine.

crack the partially floating ones... check to see if the yolk is still raised. if so, fine, if not, throw away (use kitchen roll to soak up the runny bits)

floating ones in the box. and chuck in the bin. they seem not to break, though I still have a dustbin and not a wheely bin so not dropping them from a great height nor dropping things onto them.

merlotgran Sat 29-Aug-15 11:16:40

Too old to eat? Do you mean they're past their best before date?

Take no notice. If they haven't gone off they're fine.

midgey Sat 29-Aug-15 11:00:50

Did you know you should keep eggs 'pointy' end downwards?

Indinana Sat 29-Aug-15 10:52:45

I break them into a dish and microwave them, then dispose of them - quicker than hard-boiling. And then I can compost the shells smile

thatbags Sat 29-Aug-15 09:28:04

Eggs keep for a lot longer than people think, several weeks longer, especially if you keep them in the fridge. The water test that Blackeyed mentions is good — deep water to see if they sink or float. If they sink, they're fine to use.

Alea Sat 29-Aug-15 09:22:50

They don't get the chance in this house!

Stansgran Sat 29-Aug-15 09:04:34

Leave them out for the badger.

BlackeyedSusan Sat 29-Aug-15 01:25:33

I put eggs in water to see if they are ok to eat. if they are not completely floaty I crack onto a plate and see if they are ok to cook. I have found some ok up to two weeks after the use by.

I put really old ones in the bin in the egg box. I presume they only break when they get munched up by the bin lorry.

Tegan Sat 29-Aug-15 01:21:04

How do people dispose of eggs that are too old to eat? Can't throw them in the bin cause they'll break so I hard boil them first...just wondered if there was something that other people did which I hadn't thought of [I know I shouldn't waste food, but I go through phases of eating lots of eggs and then just go off them].