Gransnet forums

Food

Gransnet wine club?

(34 Posts)
minimo Fri 25-Sep-15 15:24:41

I'm not a wine snob and bar choosing white to go with fish and red to go with red meat that's really as far as I take it. BUT, I am tired of buying wine that then ends up disappointing me. To be fair, I usually go on what's on offer at the supermarket and my strategy so far is to choose the one that has been discounted as much as possible. Reasoning is that my £6 bottle is actually 'worth' £12 grin. However, this plan is obviously flawed as I said because quite often I'll have a sip and be disappointed. Does anybody belong to a wine club? Or have a recommended wine that never disappoints? I think I might have to start taking this 'hobby' more seriously...
( I must point out I'm not an every day drinker and one glass is usually it for a night).

tippex50 Mon 28-Sep-15 11:26:38

Virgin wines or Naked for the more adventurous. Supermarkets? well M&S reliably good, Asda cheap but you have to hunt them down.

Bagatelle Mon 28-Sep-15 13:17:33

I don't buy much wine from supermarkets. I'm wary of big reductions because I suspect that someone is trying to get rid of it, and some are always 'half-price'.

DH's father bought him a share in The Wine Society many years ago, now DS1 has inherited his grandfather's share. We really cannot fault their customer service. There are members' reviews of the wines now, which is helpful.

We have recently discovered Majestic Wine. They've been around for a long time, we just hadn't been there until we needed to get wine for an event at short notice. They deliver, but you can go and collect - and there's always something open to taste.

www.thewinesociety.com

www.majestic.co.uk

HildaW Tue 29-Sep-15 12:09:46

Is it just me or did Ainsley Harriot look like Gru (Despicable Me) when he was doing his tango?

HildaW Tue 29-Sep-15 13:58:16

oops wrong one!

janeainsworth Thu 01-Oct-15 12:31:27

bennan and jane10 I've just bought a bottle of picpoul de pinet from the Co-op so will think of you both as I try it smile

Kayteeb53 Fri 02-Oct-15 11:19:47

I like Majestic Wine. I tell them a wine I like and they recommend a similar wine. Also can try before you buy with some wines. Have found some real favourites this way and never a bad one

Jane10 Fri 02-Oct-15 14:00:40

janea wasn't it lovely saying Picpoul out loud? .....or is it just me that likes that word?

janeainsworth Fri 02-Oct-15 16:39:34

Indeed jane10 it would be a good name for a pet lamb or somethingsmile