Gransnet forums

Food

What the flip do I do with these things?

(42 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Fri 02-Oct-15 18:31:20

Just back from a short break in Wales in a holiday cottage. The "welcome pack" was a small harvest festival handful of scuzzy organic looking garden produce, amongs which are three things which resemble short plump cucumbers, but are bright yellow. I suppose they are "guords", which I thought were used only as decoration around your fireside log box. confused

Do you cook the things? Are they worth doing it, if yes?

Thank you.

loopylou Sun 04-Oct-15 08:12:40

You could try this jingl:
Courgette cake recipe as below, it's originally from a Canadian friend so is in cup measurements but is really easy.
2 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1 cup oil, 2 tsp vanilla essence, 3 eggs, 2 cups grated courgette, 1 cup raisins, 1 cup chopped nuts (optional).
Combine all ingredients except courgette, raisins & nuts. Mix well then add the rest in. Pour into a largish cake tin (I line mine with grease proof) and bake at 180 for around 50 minutes.
If using freshly harvested courgettes it takes longer to cook due to the extra liquid in them, mine normally takes 60-75 minutes but watch the top doesn't burn. I give my courgettes a bit of a squeeze first if really juicy. You can add a cream cheese icing like you would a carrot cake but I never bother. It also makes nice muffin size cakes if you reduce the cooking time.

rosequartz Sat 03-Oct-15 22:51:15

I made courgette chutney last year, enough for two years thank goodness.

The courgette bake was my SIL's recipe, she had a glut of courgettes and tomatoes last year.
Glad you enjoyed it; I would enjoy anything someone else cooked for me (except a meal we had at a pub the other week).

Galen Sat 03-Oct-15 21:26:23

Spiralize them with some spiralised carrot. Stir fry with soy sauce and rice wine!
Very quick and easy and delicious

TriciaF Sat 03-Oct-15 21:23:53

We've got a sort of courgette plant which appeared next to the well and covers it completely, very pretty. It has round bright yellow fruits.
I cooked one, but after removing the seeds and peel there wasn't much left.
I sliced it then just baked it in the oven with olive oil, s&p. It was ok, a bit tasteless.

thatbags Sat 03-Oct-15 20:41:41

Oh yes! I'd forgotten about the numbers grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 19:43:03

Yellow courgettes and yellow tomatoes are now eaten. In *rq's^ recipe. Delicious! grin

#thewonderofgransnet

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 19:40:22

Well, they were mostly numbers. At your suggestion! grin

thatbags Sat 03-Oct-15 19:24:01

I'm flattered you remember all those names, jings. Apart from Jangly and Whatisamashedupphrase (or whateveritwas), I can't remember yours grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 18:37:29

You can make chutney with marrow rq. If you really want to.

DD is cooking your recipe in the kitchen even as I type. smile

Yes anno. It's just these yellow tomatoes I'm not sure about.

annodomini Sat 03-Oct-15 18:29:51

Yellow tomatoes are delicious, I find. Lidl often has packs of red, yellow and purple tomatoes, all tasting a bit different and very pretty in a salad.

rosequartz Sat 03-Oct-15 17:58:27

I have a rather lumpy looking marrow-like vegetable I bought from the NT shop in the week.

I bet it's stringy (and I will have to bin it) grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 13:26:32

Alright. I'll try that rq. hmm Another item in the harvest festival welcome pack was a handful of yellow tomatoes. I think they are supposed to be yellow. They can go in too. smile

DD can cook it when she comes later on.

rosequartz Sat 03-Oct-15 13:20:03

Yes, just brown them in the butter oil, then bake just long enough to melt the cheese in my recipe above.

It is a good way to use up ones that have grown too big!

can't believe jingls said she will bin them shock

Nelliemoser Fri 02-Oct-15 23:41:05

If they are courgettes don't over cook them. I put them in a frying pan just brushed with oil then cook them fast on a high heat so the juices in them caramelise a bit, Too cook them for too long in a lot of oil spoils the texture and leaches out what little flavour they had.

glammanana Fri 02-Oct-15 23:29:52

Jings Just reading the posts and I bet the person who filled your welcome pack didn't expect quite so much interest in the veg they left for you,but thanks so much for the yummy recipes that have been left.

Envious Fri 02-Oct-15 23:21:29

I agree with rosequartz Google zucchini casserole grin

rosequartz Fri 02-Oct-15 22:53:44

Fry some onions and garlic in butter healthy oil, add courgettes cut into chunks, fry until golden, add chopped tomatoes, put into a baking dish, add salt and pepper, top with grated cheese and bake.
Serve with crusty bread
Very tasty.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 02-Oct-15 22:47:18

* bags you put that recipe up four years ago! When you were Baggy. That must have been just after Baggythecrust and just before Thatbags and Bagitha.

Ahh! smile

I'm not grating courgettes for anybody Thank you for the recipe. smile

rosequartz Fri 02-Oct-15 22:45:21

Courgette cake! Filled with lime curd and with a cream cheese and lime topping!
Delish
(You could have dropped them off at my house on your way back home grin

MamaCaz Fri 02-Oct-15 20:58:50

Carrot, courgette and orange cake. Yummy! It won a first prize in my village produce show this year too smile

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1580644/carrot-courgette-and-orange-cakes

That's the basic recipe, though I have adapted it a bit for my own use!

You don't actually taste the courgette, but it makes such a lovely moist cake. Great with an orange mascarpone filling too.

thatbags Fri 02-Oct-15 20:56:00

It's here.

thatbags Fri 02-Oct-15 20:53:53

I have a chocolate courgette cake recipe if you're interested, jings. It's very good.

Indinana Fri 02-Oct-15 20:46:22

Courgette chutney! I've used this recipe several times. Lovely in a sandwich with cheese.

hildajenniJ Fri 02-Oct-15 20:11:58

Cake!!! why does it do that!

hildajenniJ Fri 02-Oct-15 20:11:15

Yep, they sound like courgettes to me too. My DH grew a yellow variety last year. Shorter and stubbier, and a bit knobblier than the green ones, but they tasted just as nice. Make a courgette came with them, yummy.