Gransnet forums

Food

Decent instant coffee

(34 Posts)
jellybeanjean Tue 24-Nov-15 05:41:38

Morning all,
I love black coffee, instant or real, but I'm struggling to find an instant with a good strong taste. I used to love Millicano and Carte Noir whole bean, but both recipes have changed and are now completely bland and tasteless. Gold Blend is insipid, and I don't get any sort of buzz from Nescafe Azera either (added to which I prefer not to buy Nestle products). I think I've tried just about every brand on the market but nothing has delivered the wow factor yet.
What do other coffee lovers recommend?

thatbags Tue 24-Nov-15 07:37:37

My DH would say that a decent instant coffee does not exist. Drink the real stuff. wink

mollie Tue 24-Nov-15 07:54:31

I'm of the same view, its the real stuff for us. We used to use a stove top pot but now have a machine which you could argue is pretty instant.

lefthanded Tue 24-Nov-15 08:07:12

Nescafe's Alta Rica - Costa Rican blend for me every time. Expensive, but often on offer somewhere if you can shop around.

Teetime Tue 24-Nov-15 08:38:19

I agree with lefthanded I drink strong black coffee an Alta Rica is the one for me.

Alea Tue 24-Nov-15 09:14:20

I'm with Mr. T and mollie Coffee from the Nespresso machine is "instant" and packed with flavour. Have a word with Santa! wink

TriciaF Tue 24-Nov-15 09:45:48

What kind of coffee do you put in the Nespresso machine? Fine ground, or those sachets?
I only drink black coffee too, use Nescafé special filter plus a small brown sugar cube, but prefer espresso.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 24-Nov-15 09:54:08

Pods Tricia. Bought my son one of those machines for Xmas last year. Would quite like one, but can't drink much coffee with my little bit of trouble.

mollie Tue 24-Nov-15 09:56:42

I've got a tassimo. Bliss!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 24-Nov-15 09:57:28

I think you have to look upon instant coffee as a drink - or medicine - in it's own right. It's an excellent spurrer-onner for lazy gits like me.

Marks and Sparks silver lidded one is the best on the market.

In my kitchen 'real' coffe sits in the fridge after the first few enthusiastic days, and goes way past it best before.

Liaise Tue 24-Nov-15 10:59:40

Real coffee sends my head whirling so we drink cap Columbie. Alta Rica is stronger if you prefer strong coffee.

Granarchist Tue 24-Nov-15 11:10:17

Real coffee best but believe it or not Aldi Alcafe is pretty darn good.

Alea Tue 24-Nov-15 11:16:37

Pods as Jingl says. Awfully easy to just "have another cup" especially with the milk frothed. (Only thing missing is George Clooney.)
Fortunately I also buy decaf pods as well as my favourite orange or blue ones, or you'd be scraping me off the ceiling by early afternoon.

sherish Tue 24-Nov-15 11:16:42

I agree, Aldi Alcafe is very good. My DD only drinks black coffee and always enjoys her cuppa at our house.

Iam64 Tue 24-Nov-15 19:23:39

Yes, I'm with thatbags, make a pot of proper coffee. I use a tea cosy (well, coffee cosy I suppose) to keep it warm for a while.

grannylyn65 Tue 24-Nov-15 19:38:40

I use Lidl Columbian, also have a Tassimo !

Indinana Tue 24-Nov-15 19:39:26

I don't drink coffee - my DH does but he can't be doing with making fresh coffee! His current favourite is Nescafé Azera Intense, which he says is one of the best he's found. He always looks out for when it's on offer and buys half a dozen 100g tins.

jellybeanjean Wed 25-Nov-15 20:22:55

Brilliant replies - thanks so much! My DD has a Nepresso machine and I use it and the pods constantly when I'm staying at hers. Bit pricey (but she can afford it!), so may have a word with Santa. Mollie, I did have a Tassimo, but it leaked and I didn't really like the taste of any of the coffee pods, so it went back. Will definitely try Aldi Alcafe for instant though. Thatbags - your DH is right, but I'm a lazy git like jinglbellsfrocks. Might try Alta Rica again, when it's on offer. Azera Intense just doesn't do it for me. I wonder if we lose our sense of taste as we get older (along with just about everything else)? Might also try the M&S silver lidded one as I have a voucher to use up.

Coffee....

patd Thu 26-Nov-15 09:12:21

I only drink black coffee, no sugar, my favourite is LIDLs Bellarom GOLD decaf (100% Arabica freeze dried instant coffee), love it. Love the price as well.

hilky01 Thu 26-Nov-15 09:18:46

Ive just discvered Illy instant. Just the same as their coffee which is seveed in many restaurants. Everyone who has tasted it has said how lovely it is.

ajanela Thu 26-Nov-15 09:31:43

I only drink one coffee a day and like a strong instant in a mug with a little cold milk. In a way we have to think of instant coffee as a completely different drink than real coffee. Like comparing lemonade made with real lemons and lemon squash. Both have there place

Katek Thu 26-Nov-15 09:32:39

DH says that's an oxymoron!

rubysong Thu 26-Nov-15 10:21:27

We drink the ones with the 'storage jar' containers which I keep. I don't really know why. I drink decaf and DH the dark label one.

Grannycupcake Thu 26-Nov-15 10:56:34

hilky01 Ooh!! I never knew that. I will certainly look out for it.

Charleygirl Thu 26-Nov-15 11:03:47

I only drink M&S coffee, grade 3. When I go to buy more, I normally empty the shelf and have been known to come home with around 10 jars. I am also too idle to make "proper" coffee and anyway, with the amount that I drink, I would be floored. I have not drunk tea for around 40 years now and I only drink coffee flavoured water!!!