Gransnet forums

Food

Yorkshire Pudding

(23 Posts)
Gmittens Sun 07-Feb-16 10:15:04

Does anyone have a recipe for Yorkshire pudding that works? We have tried many recipes over the years, but can never guarantee that we can produce a decent one - help!!

miep Sun 07-Feb-16 10:41:52

Find 2 identical containers, such as glass ramekins, or even glasses. Break two eggs into one of them. Fill the other to EXACTLY the same level with plain flour. Tip the flour into a bowl. Now fill the same glass to EXACTLY the same level as the eggs. Tip eggs and milk in with flour and beat well. Put in fridge minimum 30 mins. Heat fat in little tins to smoking point (200°) then tip in batter, pouring it from a jug if easier. Cook 15m fan oven 18m ordinary oven. Note:YP never comes out well it it's stormy!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Feb-16 10:57:18

2 eggs. 8 oz plain flour. Pint skimmed milk. Pinch salt.

Bung it all in liquidiser for half a minute. Place silicone bun tray on baking sheet. Add teaspoon rapeseed oil to each 'cup'. Hot up well. Pour in batter, each one about three quarters full. Bake 220 degrees till done.

Have left over batter next day as pancakes. Preferably when husband is out so you don't have to share. HTH

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Feb-16 10:59:33

And you can more egg if you like. If they don't seem to be rising and the family have arrived, turn up oven heat to 250.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Feb-16 11:00:27

you can add more eggs (should have read)

Gmittens Sun 07-Feb-16 11:30:19

Thank you Miep for your interesting recipe, I will certainly try this one. I'm intrigued though to know it doesn't work if stormy, I wonder what the reason is for that?
Thank you jinglbellsfrocks, the ingredients are similar to those I've tried, but have not liquidised - perhaps that's the secret.

jusnoneed Sun 07-Feb-16 11:51:11

I use to the two identical container method, saw chef Brian Turner do it years ago, and as long as you remember to use plain flour and not self raising (as you would think it should be) they turn out great every time. I use one egg and that makes half a dozen good sized puds.

rubysong Sun 07-Feb-16 12:05:20

I agree about silicone bun 'tins' stood on a metal tray but have found it is not necessary to heat them up first, just rub with a drop of oil on kitchen roll, pour in the mixture and put them in the oven. They don't stick!

yousuf0198 Wed 10-Feb-16 06:00:20

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

miep Wed 10-Feb-16 08:26:29

I saw Brian Turner do it too!

ninathenana Wed 10-Feb-16 11:47:18

I only ever make mine by eye.
8oz plain flour 2 eggs pinch salt and half milk half water beaten in with a fork until consistency looks right leave to stand for minimum 30 mins at room temp. Fill each 'hole' (I use one with four large holes) about 1/5th with veg oil and heat oil at 220c until very hot, give the mix a final beat and pour equally into "holes" cook until golden brown.

Nonnie1 Wed 10-Feb-16 11:49:41

try this one as given to me by a chef and it sounds OTT but it works !

I cup of eggs (shelled)
1 cup of flour
1 cup of milk
salt

Beat all together any which way you like.

the puddings will burst out of the oven !

LOL

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Feb-16 12:47:11

I wonder if I dare try that on my GS1. Yorkshire puds - six of them - and a tiny bit of meat is all he will eat of a Sunday roast. That recipe would be very nourishing.Does it taste eggy at all?

annsixty Wed 10-Feb-16 12:52:58

That is the same proportion as up thread by miepsurely.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Feb-16 12:56:08

It's a lot of eggs (4?) to not much milk! I think it would be delicious. Tempted to pop the oven on. Especially as I am here on my own and haven't had lunch yet!

hildajenniJ Wed 10-Feb-16 16:10:23

I never measure ingredients for Yorkshire pudding. For two of us I use:
4 tablespoons plain flour
2 medium eggs
Pinch salt
Equal quantities of milk and very cold water.

Whisk the eggs and milk into the flour and let the mixture stand at room temperature for an hour. Put oil or lard into patty tins or Yorkshire pudding tins and put the tins in the oven to heat. Make sure the tins are very hot!
Just before putting the mixture into the tins add the very cold water until you have a consistency of single cream. Pour the mixture into the hot tins and bake in a hot oven 220°c for 20 - 30 minutes until well risen and golden brown.

I got the tip about the cold water from a Yorkshire woman!

Jalima Wed 10-Feb-16 16:42:34

I may try that miep, but wonder if it is enough milk and I'd add some salt. The thing is, I love Yorkshire puds but DH does not, I need to ration the number I make as I end up eating more than I should.

Your recipe is interesting and it reminds me of a recipe I was told of by a friend for Victoria sponge. She recommended weighing 3 (or 4 or more depending on size of cake you want) eggs in their shells then weighing out the same amount of sugar, butter and SR flour and a pinch of salt. Make by the usual creaming method or all-in-one if you wish and bake as usual.

Greyduster Wed 10-Feb-16 17:05:24

That's the recipe I use for Victoria Sponge. Never fails. My recipe for Yorkshire pudding is as follows. Enter Sainsburys, open chiller cabinet door remove pack of Auntie Bessie's YP's, take home, shove in oven and lie to lunch guests about where they came from!grin I now expect to have to relinquish my status as a card carrying Yorkshirewoman henceforth!

Juliette Wed 10-Feb-16 17:17:37

Whisk 2 eggs with 1/4 pint of milk and salt and pepper for one minute, add 4 ozs of plain flour, quick whisk until it resembles thick cream.
Pour into really hot fat in a receptacle of your choice and cook for about twenty minutes at 210 degrees in a fan oven or whatever is your equivalent.

This is from a Womans Weekly recipe book, it's called 'Never Fail Yorkshire Pudding' and it's always been true to its word.

nightowl Wed 10-Feb-16 17:39:15

Greyduster you are a woman after my own heart!

I have to say though, that based on the example of my mum (another card carrying Yorkshire woman), a lot of these recipes sound far too rich to me. She never measured ingredients but used plain flour, 1 egg and half and half milk and water to make a fairly thin batter. The oven had to be very hot and the lard smoking in the tin. And never open the oven door too early! Not easy before oven doors had glass in them. Even with her batter and under her tutelage mine didn't rise as well or taste as good as hers. I would put her up against James Martin or any other celebrity chef any day of the week.

annsixty Wed 10-Feb-16 18:31:34

Just taken these out of the oven. This is miep's recipe.I only got 5 but they are quite large.

annsixty Wed 10-Feb-16 18:32:53

I hope they right themselves!!

Greyduster Wed 10-Feb-16 18:35:45

Wow! They look good! I'm dying of shame here!