Gransnet forums

Food

Brisket roast

(42 Posts)
Grannyknot Sun 21-Feb-16 11:05:12

Any tips for roasting a perfect brisket? I have a really nice piece of brisket for tonight when daughter and her husband are coming, but often my brisket roasts are a bit dull/dry. All ideas welcome!

tiredoldwoman Sun 21-Feb-16 11:34:57

My friend was raving about meat cooked in a slow cooker - have you got one lurking in the back of a cupboard like me ? (I keep meaning to get friendly with it)

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 21-Feb-16 11:45:24

You can't do anything with brisket except cook it very slowly covered, with root veg and some stock. It is not a roasting joint. It is stewing meat. Sorry.

Nip out to the supermarket and get something decent?

merlotgran Sun 21-Feb-16 11:46:47

If you don't have a slow cooker just season the joint, trickle some oil over the top, add fresh herbs (sage, thyme, rosemary etc.,) cover with foil and slow roast in the bottom of the oven.

Remove the foil half an hour before serving to brown the top.

The meat juices make delicious gravy.

merlotgran Sun 21-Feb-16 11:48:31

Sorry, jingl. Have to disagree. Roast brisket is delicious if cooked slowly. Tender and full of flavour.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 21-Feb-16 11:55:36

Yeah. If you stew it long enough. still gonna be fibrous. grin Look which bit of the cow it comes from. She needs strong muscles there. (The cow, not Grannyknot)

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 21-Feb-16 11:56:23

Agree about the juices though.

Grannyknot Sun 21-Feb-16 12:58:28

Hi everyone - thanks!

I do have a slow cooker (and use it often) but I didn't want to slow cook it - I bought a batch of meat late last year via the DIL of a farmer in Somerset that only slaughters once a year and sells some meat to family and friends. I bought about 15 kgs of meat altogether and all of it was absolutely delicious, in fact has spoilt my taste buds! This is the last bit I have left of that batch and I am pretty sure it will be very tasty if I roast it slowly.

So, I'm gonna go with merlot 's suggestion.

I have a vague memory that you used to be able to buy "rolled brisket" and I remember that as being really tasty roasted in a low oven.

From Google I also discovered that it is a Jewish Passover dish - done much like merlot suggests. So into the oven it will go at about 4 to be eaten at around 7 p.m.

allrecipes.com/recipe/103067/jewish-grandmas-best-beef-brisket/

merlotgran Sun 21-Feb-16 13:04:49

Hope it's delicious or I will slink away and hide. grin

pollyparrot Sun 21-Feb-16 13:05:54

Sizzle it in a hot oven, then turn down to 130c, cover it with onions, garlic, a tablespoon of tomato purée and stock. Leave it covered for four hours and it will be tender and delicious. The cheaper cuts of meat are excellent if you slow cook them.

Greyduster Sun 21-Feb-16 13:26:52

I love slow roast brisket. I usually put just a splash of water or red wine in the bottom of the dish to create a bit of steam, then, as above, cover it with foil, set and forget. I do the same thing with beef short ribs and they are truly delicious.

Grannyknot Sun 21-Feb-16 13:28:39

It will be! This meat is truly delicious and almost impossible to duff up. It is from a herd that grazes freely on an organic farm.

Thanks polly that also sounds good.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 21-Feb-16 13:48:57

Back ribs are nice done like that. You can call that a roast.

Are all those long wormlike things in that photo, meat fibres? Good luck with that.

merlotgran Sun 21-Feb-16 13:52:24

This is what we're having for lunch today grin

jusnoneed Sun 21-Feb-16 13:55:31

I always brown my meat and remove from dish, then brown some onions and carrots in the same casserole dish (cast iron one) and put the piece of meat back in. Add enough stock to come about a third of the way up the meat. Cover with lid and cook for 3hrs or so. That way you get the taste of roast but nice and moist and lovely gravy.
I hope yours turns out lovely whichever way you do it. One of our favourite meals.

Grannyknot Sun 21-Feb-16 15:33:45

jings I am not doing that recipe! That looks similar to pulled pork, which is delicious.

Well it's on the oven grin

merlot I hope someone else is doing the prep on those!

Grannyknot Sun 21-Feb-16 15:34:02

...in the oven.

loopylou Sun 21-Feb-16 16:24:05

Brisket is absolutely delicious very slow roasted, with a splash of red wine or water in the baking tray and tightly covered with foil.
It's my favourite roast.

Grannyknot Sun 21-Feb-16 21:44:51

It was delicious. I browned it in my trusty old "double roaster", added garlic and veg and put it in a hot oven, but turned it down immediately to 130 degrees and left it for 3 hours. Compliments were gracefully received. smile

Grannyknot Sun 21-Feb-16 21:46:45

Oh, I smeared the contents of a beef stock pot (one of those new fancied little pots) over it and splashed some wine over it - just a little. It made its own gravy.

pollyparrot Sun 21-Feb-16 22:22:32

Sounds delicious.

merlotgran Sun 21-Feb-16 22:30:22

Brisket will be on my shopping list for next week. It's been a while since we've had it and it's so tasty and such good value.

Like the idea of the beef stock pot, Grannyknot.

Alea Sun 21-Feb-16 22:34:20

I wondered where my budgies had gone merlotgran! grin

merlotgran Sun 21-Feb-16 22:41:20

I have a mental image of DH trying to 'draw' a budgie, Alea grin

I always do the plucking as he's allergic to feathers which suits me just fine.

Leticia Mon 22-Feb-16 16:28:08

Surprised to find the remark 'get something decent'!
It is lovely, just needs to be cooked as jusnoneed says and it is one of my favourites. I add more vegetables, things like celery and parsnips.