Gransnet forums

Food

Food during Easter

(34 Posts)
NanKate Thu 24-Mar-16 21:50:01

Good Friday
Hot cross buns with cheese and an apple at lunchtime.

For supper Waitrose sea-bream with roasted tomatoes and olives, mixed veg and new potatoes. Mixed berry trifle. Bottle of decent white wine.

Easter Day
Roast lamb joint, roast potatoes and any veg DH prepares.
Don't know about pud yet.

Over to you.

Greyduster Thu 24-Mar-16 22:09:47

Good Friday
Chicken and sweet potato curry, rice and all sorts of bits and pieces.

Easter Sunday
Roast lamb, roast potatoes and three veg. Sea bass fillets with roast cherry tomatoes, black olives and capers for DD who does not eat meat. Apple crumble and custard - special request from GS!

Easter Monday
No visitors so Cheese and vegetable pie.

Coolgran65 Thu 24-Mar-16 22:54:24

Good Friday.
Chicken peppers,shallots, kebabs with lemon rice and salad.
Sourdough bread with real butter.

Sunday.
Roast chickens with stuffing, cabbage and swede. Roasties and mash. Gravy with rosemary.
Sticky toffee pudding with double cream.

hildajenniJ Fri 25-Mar-16 08:09:10

Something with scallops today, but what?

Easter Day
Roast turkey crown, and all the traditional trimmings.
I may make pavlova for pudding, I've not decided yet.

NanaandGrampy Fri 25-Mar-16 08:30:14

ooooh good thread.

Today Hot cross buns , more hot cross buns and then maybe a cheeky hot cross bun later !! ( its the only day we eat them so have to make the most of it.

Easter Sunday , roast beef and all the trimmings, Easter cheese cake, pecan and toffee roulade and Hummingbird cake ( well there are 12 of us ). And any eggs I snaffle in the Easter Egg Hunt.

Easter Monday
Cold beef and mash and if by some miracle any leftover desserts - those too :-)

well waste not want not smile

Alima Fri 25-Mar-16 08:55:21

Not sure yet. Will wait and see what the hotel offers.

Teetime Fri 25-Mar-16 08:58:49

Good Friday - the pub for dinner

Easter Saturday - big family buffet cold roast gammon, beef and a lot of smoked salmon with salads.

Easter Sunday - Turkey and all the trimmings.

Easter Monday - lots of golf to work it off.

ninathenana Fri 25-Mar-16 09:28:24

Teetime I couldn't find a turkey sad

H not a fish lover so tonight is the usual Friday curry night
Saturday party food (GS#2)
Sunday roast lamb roasties 2 veg, desert ???

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 25-Mar-16 09:46:32

Today, as every Friday, cod, chips and baked beans.

Tomorrow. Whatever DD and I fit in between two theatre visits and definitely Italian cinchetti in evening, as hotel does an excellent line in it.

Sunday, roast dinner at pub after we get back from London.

Monday. Family coming, so I'm cooking Easter roast lamb.

Plus choccie. Of course. And hot cross buns.

tanith Fri 25-Mar-16 10:25:42

Today I'm making shephards pie tonight. OH bought some Hot Cross Buns from the baker.

Tomorrow 3 of my nieces want to meet me for pub lunch.

Sunday I may or may not cook roast beef if not whatever takes our fancy..

Monday just whatever comes to hand out of the freezer.

Teetime Fri 25-Mar-16 13:45:17

My secret is that as I always try and cant find a turkey for Easter so I bought 2 at Xmas and froze one!! We all love turkey dinner and it goes a long way.

hildajenniJ Fri 25-Mar-16 13:59:36

Further to my earlier post, I did the scallops in a saffron cream sauce, and threw in what remained of a packet of prawns. It was delicious, and DH complimented my efforts. smile

annsixty Fri 25-Mar-16 14:21:34

Tonight cod loin with a parsley, breadcrumb and parmesan topping a la the sainted Delia.
Sunday roast lamb with all the trimmings and unusually for us cheesecake I'm using up desserts bought at CH******s and never used
Monday cold lamb, it's rather a large joint. Family not coming until Wed when H has a significant birthday.

TerriBull Fri 25-Mar-16 14:46:43

I don't eat meat on Good Friday a hangover from my childhood. We had falafels and salad for lunch, tonight I'm making a fish pie with salmon and white sauce made with cheese and chives, with sliced potatoes on top.

Saturday, is curry night if we are in, my husband insists on Chicken Sag from Marks, nothing else will do!

Sunday roast lamb, roast potatoes and other roast veg, green beans and a blackberry and apple pie.

Monday - dunno too far away to contemplate.

Gagagran Fri 25-Mar-16 14:57:29

We don't eat meat on Good Friday either Terri - another childhood hangover.

We had cheese toasties and fruit for lunch and tonight it's poached smoked haddock, new potatoes and peas. May stick a poached egg on top.

Sunday is duck confit, Bircher potatoes and roast vegetables for the adults, a fillet steak for DGS (who adores steak and only has it rarely) and a cheesey lentil bake with tomato topping for veggie DGD. I am making a fresh fruit salad and cheese board and DD is bringing a Bakewell tart.

Monday will be left over lentil bake OR egg and chips plus left over puds.

Granny23 Fri 25-Mar-16 16:05:03

I have no idea what we will have tonight and tomorrow because yesterday's shopping was all for Sunday's YELLOW themed après Egg Hunt Buffet. I have garlic bread and tiger bread, eggs, bananas, yellow tomatoes & melon, couscous and pilau rice, cheesy coleslaw, cheeses & biscuits, macaroni cheese, 4 cheese pizza, lemon cheese cake, pineapple, peaches and custard, lemons for drinks, yellow tulips & roses for decoration (I'll leave the daffs in the garden). Plenty for our two vegies in that but not a lot for me with my cheese allergy. Do you think wee sausage rolls could pass as being yellow?

Imperfect27 Fri 25-Mar-16 16:55:35

Today - copious amounts of hot cross buns / sausage and mash (had a rather too hot chilli last night so DH wants something plainer).

Saturday - steak and DH's home-made potato wedges.

Sunday - lamb chops for lunch / big tea : roast ham, home-made sausage-rolls with caramelised red-onion, cheeseboard, garlicky potato salad, pear and limoncelllo trifle, fresh raspberry eclairs, simnel cake ... Well, we have got the hoards coming - oh yes, and Easter eggs!

Monday - leftovers!!!

Feeling fat before we get started ha ha!

annsixty Fri 25-Mar-16 18:05:20

Life can be difficult for us all at times so while our fish is waiting to go in we are indulging in a glass of Prossecco and really enjoying it.
A very good evening to you all.

westieyaya Sat 26-Mar-16 09:18:35

Good Friday - a slimming salad to start off weekend, hot cross buns with cheese, stewed fruit
Saturday lunch - salad, again
Supper - Chinese
Sunday - cold buffet of ham, roast chicken, smoked salmon, pate, salads garlic bread, hot new potatoes. Followed by rhubarb and apple crumble, salted caramel ice cream, profiteroles
Monday back on diet with leftovers!!

grandMattie Sat 26-Mar-16 10:45:07

Good Friday - Fish chowder, Hot + buns

Easter Saturday - Sandwiches for Lunch
Roast Lamb/veges for dinner [DD is coming Sunday and whole family is veggie sad

Easter Sunday - Tapas lunch and HCBs
Macaroni cheese [a big treat in our household], roast veges, [col;d lamb for meat eaters], Chocolate cake with "hole" filled with little choc eggs for the big/small children
Easter Monday - out to lunch. Shakshouka for dinner.

Blinko Sat 26-Mar-16 10:54:47

Good Friday and Easter Monday are my two 5:2 fast days... That's cos I'm playing bridge both afternoons and so can't be tempted to eat before my carefully thought out, low cal evening meal. Now Saturday and Sunday are a different call altogether grin

Craftycat Sat 26-Mar-16 13:09:10

Good Friday- Hot Cross Buns for breakfast & fish & chips for dinner

Easter Sunday- Full roast dinner with Lamb- I'm trying adding a splash or 3 of ginger beer to gravy on advice from a friend. Crispy roasties broccoli, roasted carrots & broad beans. Desserts - MB's Lemon Meringue Roulade & the Cadburys Crème Egg Chocolate Brownies that seem to be the thing at the moment- the GC will love them anyway.
A nice cheeseboard & the diet can start again on Tuesday!

Izabella Sat 26-Mar-16 14:18:34

Friday, fasting - clear fluid only
Saturday, fasting - ditto
Sunday, brakfast -scrambled eggs with hot chillis, lunch miso soup, dinner Duck and vegetables, yoghurt and berries
Monday large breakfast as running later.

How I envy those varied menus listed above. Having reversed Type II diabetes I cannot allow slippage.

angmhay Sat 26-Mar-16 15:30:38

Good Friday: Grilled Halibut Steaks with Mushrooms in a Cream and Parsley sauce and Quinoa
Home made Hot Cross Buns as there are no decent ones to buy here in Califonia:-(

Family here for the weekend, so a restaurant meal on Saturday evening.

Easter Day: Roast Lamb, Roast potatoes, Green Beans cooked with garlic and tomatoes, carrots, gravy and mint sauce of course! Also doing a small ham served with fresh pineapple for DIL and one GD who don't eat lamb.
My son's MIL making a Birthday Cake as it is DIL's birthday celebration this weekend.

Happy Easter everybody! I' m hungry just writing this!

bonji Sat 26-Mar-16 15:38:51

We have youngest daughter, her husband and our smashing 2 year old grandson staying from Good Friday to Bank holiday Monday morning which is just lovely as living 140 miles away they don't get to come very often. Our eldest daughter and her husband are joining us for Sunday lunch which is an added bonus. What's the problem I hear you say. Well youngest daughter doesn't eat any dairy or sugar, her husband can't eat anything with gluten in, eldest daughter is vegetarian, her husband is a 'fussy eater' and my DH is a meat and 2 veg man and just won't try anything new. The menu is somewhat difficult!