Gransnet forums

Food

Gone bananas

(24 Posts)
Teetime Tue 26-Apr-16 09:07:34

Is it just me who is having trouble buying bananas? I have bought them from everyone of the major supermarkets lately and two street markets and they have all gone off almost immediately. I keep them well away from other fruit. I have tried storing them in one of those bright yellow Lakeland bags but they just aren't as nice as they used to be. (I need a banana to get me round the golf course).

ninathenana Tue 26-Apr-16 09:11:04

I assume you buy them whilst they're still slightly green ? I can't say I've noticed a problem.
I love a 'nana smile

pompa Tue 26-Apr-16 09:13:01

Bananas are treated with Ethylene gas to ripen them, which is why they will help ripen other fruit they are next to. I suspect that enclosing them in a bag is the last thing you want to do, rather, hang them to allow air to circulate and dispel the gas.

Indinana Tue 26-Apr-16 09:58:33

I haven't had that problem Teetime and I buy bananas every week - they generally last about 4 or 5 days, as long as I buy them while they're slightly green.

Whilst on the subject of bananas, I happened to be in Tesco on Saturday evening when they were offloading their 'just out of date' fruit and veg, and got a kilo of over ripe bananas for 7p!!! So Sunday morning saw me making two large banana loaves, and feeding banana to DD's black lab (her absolute favourite food). Had to throw a couple away, but not complaining!

TerriBull Tue 26-Apr-16 10:45:29

Absolutely Teetime, Waitrose, the bananas are often always green. There is an optimum time for bananas, imo and it doesn't last long, I really don't like them spotted, too ripe and too sweet, only ok in cakes. Sainsbury's are generally alright. Don't get me started on broccoli, that too is often disappointing yellow underneath. I like my bananas yellow and my broccoli green . Is that too much to ask grin

Coolgran65 Tue 26-Apr-16 11:21:31

I like my bananas firm, not sweet and ripe.
I went through a spell of making banana bread, so delicious with real butter.
The 'just out of date' in the supermarket was perfect for this as they were practically being given away and when frozen will still work very well for baking.

However, the yumminess was proving much too tempting and calorific so we've had to pause the 'production'. There are still several kilos in the freezer and it only takes 4 or 5 for a baking session including a loaf to freeze.

Teetime Tue 26-Apr-16 16:52:05

Yes I am holding off on the baking at the moment so if the bananas get a bit soft I cant use them - hate any fruit being soft and soggy.

pompa Tue 26-Apr-16 17:02:51

Over ripe bananas = baked bananas -- wonderful

Lillie Tue 26-Apr-16 17:07:08

You're right pompa about bananas needing air around them to ripen, hence those banana tree gadgets on a hook one is supposed to suspend the bananas from. I think it also stops the bananas coming into contact with other fruit and spoiling it.

pompa Tue 26-Apr-16 17:21:11

Air will slow the ripening, enclosing them will trap the ethylene and cause them to ripen quicker.

Shelagh6 Tue 26-Apr-16 21:14:38

They just don't taste very nice at the moment - they ripen very quickly which instantly changes the taste and then are vile - agree they aren't as nice as they used to be........

Jalima Tue 26-Apr-16 21:31:37

I had noticed that the ones I have bought in the past couple of weeks have gone 'woolly' very quickly.

I don't like them ripe, so they still look yellow on the outside.
I can't seem to bake banana cake or bread, it always goes soggy.

Broccoli should be very firm - well, hard - and not spongey at all.

Alea Wed 27-Apr-16 07:50:50

I need a banana to get me round the golf course

Oh I do sympathise, Teetime, have you tried a golf buggy? smile

NanaandGrampy Wed 27-Apr-16 08:02:13

Was drinking my coffee and nearly spat it out with laughter at that comment Alea - made my morning !!

Alea Wed 27-Apr-16 08:22:52

Oops, glad you didn't nanaandgrampy, morning one-liners can be death to iPads.

Lillie Wed 27-Apr-16 08:30:36

I agree, a golf buggy would be more "smoothie" than a banana (boat) ride! grin

Sorry, I'm not quite in your league NanaandGrampy!

Lillie Wed 27-Apr-16 08:31:35

or even Alea grin

Teetime Wed 27-Apr-16 09:22:08

Well I've got a grotty banana to get me round the golf course this morning and no-one of my extreme dedication to sport and exercise would ride in a golf buggy and they are £10 a go! smile.

Alea Wed 27-Apr-16 09:30:47

sad lead balloon?

Teetime Wed 27-Apr-16 15:21:23

No alea not lead balloon it was very witty honestly- sometimes the messages on here don't come out right. I was laughing -I wasn't laughing in the freezing cold with only a grotty banana to eat today though.

Alea Wed 27-Apr-16 15:31:22

???

Teetime Wed 27-Apr-16 15:57:44

ooh I don't know what these little signs are

Jalima Wed 27-Apr-16 16:01:25

I have a vision of Teetime balancing on a super-powered banana and zooming around the golf course ....

Room on the Broom style?
roomonthebroom.com/

Jalima Wed 27-Apr-16 16:02:01

However, I am sure you don't look like that Teetime [oops]