Gransnet forums

Food

Spiralizers

(19 Posts)
Felix2007 Tue 03-May-16 16:24:51

I'm thinking of getting a spiralizer, but not sure what kind to get. I would be interested to hear anyone's view on how easy to use, type, etc.

shysal Tue 03-May-16 17:31:10

I have this one.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lakeland-Easy-Store-Compact-Healthy-Vegetable-Spiralizer-With-Suction-Feet-/281873529557?hash=item41a0f8bad5:g:YhgAAOSw~bFWMKkY
It is easy to use and wash up, and folds away into itself. There are lots of cheap non- fold away ones on Ebay, but haven't used any other, so can't compare. I have had it for some time now and still use it a lot, so getting my money's worth.
I hope you have fun when you get one!

Felix2007 Tue 03-May-16 19:37:44

Thanks shysal. I saw that one on the Lakeland website. It doesn't say that if folds up, how convenient.

grannyqueenie Tue 03-May-16 22:33:15

I looked at that one in Lakeland yesterday shysal and dismissed it as being too big. Instead I bought a cheaper smaller one, shaped like an egg timer. Big mistake! I watched my daughter in law shred her fingers trying to use hers and then narrowly avoided doing the same myself. So it's going back!

Nanabelle Wed 04-May-16 00:49:31

I have a similar one to Lakeland. They make great courgette spaghetti and I have used one of the other cutters to make sweet potato curls which I bake in the oven, so a bit like crisps. They are quite big, and at first I left it out on the worktop - but now have found some cupboard space. Washing up is easy - mostly a quick rinse under the tap, with just a bit of brushing on the cutting blade.
Great if you are trying to cut out or down on carbs or wheat.

cangran Wed 04-May-16 12:40:02

I got one that was small/cheap (the same egg timer shape grannyqueenie described) but I too ended up with shredded fingers and it was a bit of a faff to use so it stays in the cupboard. I'd try again if anyone can suggest a smaller/cheaper one than the Lakeland version, that works well and is easy to clean.

oldgoat Wed 04-May-16 13:09:30

We bought a Kitchen Craft spiraliser from Lakeland a few months ago. It's quite large to store and wastes quite a large core of vegetable. Hardly used, though it seemed a good idea when Mary Berry used one on her cookery programme.

shysal Thu 05-May-16 10:44:34

I have noticed that some spiralizers leave a large core. My Easy Store makes a core the same thickness as the spirals so is not wasted. All that remains is a 1cm stump at the handle end.

Issie52 Wed 08-Jun-16 14:54:40

I bought a small one first that just did spaghetti lengths, just to try it out, didn't want another kitchen gadget that I was not going to us, but I loved it and used it all the time, so bought a larger one from Amazon.....https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0142TK6YO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

£14.99 Salter one that does two different sizes of spaghetti shapes and a ribbon shape as well and now cook most of my veg this way.

As for the core in the middle, which is only small the size of a pea, I just chop up and throw it in to the recipe.

I have used it on the usually, Courgettes, carrots, sweet potato, red onion, beetroot. You name it you can probably spiralizer it.
Made potato nests. Favorite recipe at the moment is ..
Mexican baked potato nests. Thai beef Salad another. moroccan turkey burgers.Steamed vegetables with honey.

The ribbon cutter makes lovely baked vegetable crisps.

For puddings, Salted caramel & pear pudding. Asian pear fruit salad.

So so far, its used most days. I have even bought one for my daughter.

emiliasolomon Wed 07-Jun-17 10:33:58

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MawBroon Wed 07-Jun-17 10:40:02

Oh dear hmm
Reported

TriciaF Wed 07-Jun-17 15:38:48

I think it must be the gadget that was used on a TV cookery programme I saw recently to make things that look like a ball of knitting wool. It was done with large potatoes, then deep fried. Used as a garnish.
Very pretty, but not my style of cooking.

yggdrasil Wed 07-Jun-17 15:47:45

I borrowed one to make fancy meals when my daughter and the family came to visit. It made pretty shapes but was SO wasteful, at least half the vegs were unusable.
My grandson was pleased to find a carrot core that had fallen in the bowl, he thought that was much nicer :-)

It went back to the owner and I won't be getting one myself

BlueBelle Wed 07-Jun-17 16:43:14

What am I missing? I looked st the picture but not much further forward to be honest is it something I can manage to live without is it another fancy cutter thing

LumpySpacedPrincess Wed 07-Jun-17 20:41:02

I have a Mueller one, similar to the Lakeland one and it's ace, use it a lot. Corgettei, wonderful to replace noodles in oriental dishes.

KatyK Thu 08-Jun-17 17:51:54

I have one. I was very enthusiastic about it at first, spiralizing courgettes and having them instead of pasta etc. It is now gathering dust blush I must use it more.

eddiecat78 Thu 08-Jun-17 18:47:36

Please can one of you enthusiasts tell me how to cook courgetti so that it doesn`t make the sauce watery? I bought a spiraliser specifically for that but have been so disappointed that I don`t use it any more

Mamie Thu 08-Jun-17 18:50:02

I just sauté it for a few minutes in a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper.

LumpySpacedPrincess Fri 09-Jun-17 20:03:33

eddie, I just stir it into the sauce for the last coupla seconds.