Gransnet forums

Food

Non dairy diet

(48 Posts)
2old4hotpants Sun 08-May-16 09:42:47

Due to gastric problems I have decided to trial cutting out dairy from my diet. I can manage without most dairy foods, but I do miss milk in my tea and coffee. I have tried a soya based milk, but it is just horrible. Can anyone advise on a more pleasant alternative, please?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 09:54:27

I have been thinking of trying unsweetened almond milk, but I worry about missing out on calcium. They add calcium to it, but is that as good? I'm cry unsure. (Not much help, sorry)

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-May-16 09:55:10

VERY not cry! (iPad)

whitewave Sun 08-May-16 09:56:08

My friend uses rice milk. Not sure what it tastes like though.

Gagagran Sun 08-May-16 10:34:11

My niece is a strict vegan and she uses soya milk but it tastes very odd to me. I think our taste buds are attuned to cow's milk after all these years.

tanith Sun 08-May-16 10:35:18

My daughter uses coconut milk in tea.. I've not tried it though

Tegan Sun 08-May-16 10:38:55

Could you use a spoonful of Coffee Mate? It's described as 'non dairy'.

suzied Sun 08-May-16 11:19:17

I instead of builders tea have you tried green tea or jasmine or other herbal teas? You drink them weak without milk. They are an aquired taste but now I much prefer them to milky tea, far more refreshing. A dash of almond milk in coffee frothed up like a cappuccino is also ok when you get used to it. Almond or soya milk is fine on muesli, and the no dairy yoghurt ( alpro? ) is nice,

2old4hotpants Sun 08-May-16 12:19:53

Thank you for the suggestions. I do drink green tea and herbal teas, but so miss a 'good old cuppa'. While Coffee Mate wold be fine in coffee, I'm not sure it would be so good in tea. There is such a variety of milk substitutes, all quite expensive, I am not sure which to try next.

Deedaa Sun 08-May-16 21:52:21

Could you manage goat's milk?

Alima Sun 08-May-16 21:57:16

DGD2 is only thirteen months old and dairy intolerant. We did not realise till the other day that they make dairy free chocolate buttons, pure bliss for her, every girl should be allowed a bit of chocolate. Sorry, I digress......

Anya Sun 08-May-16 21:59:34

A slice of lemon is very nice in tea.

Anya Sun 08-May-16 22:00:00

And in a Gee & Tea.

Jalima Sun 08-May-16 22:21:33

DD was using almond milk or oat milk.
I cannot recommend oat milk unless you want your cup of tea to taste like porridge.

Is it the lactose that is causing the problem, because they do much better lactose free milk these days

suzied Mon 09-May-16 04:05:25

I notice they are selling almond milk in Aldi now.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 09-May-16 15:44:17

There's a 'professional' version of Alpro Soya milk, which might be better in tea or coffee. I haven't tried it, but I think it's what baristas use...

Jalima Mon 09-May-16 15:48:15

I quite like Alpro Soya milk and it makes lovely custard!

Faye Mon 09-May-16 16:37:32

Some brands of almond milk have been found to only contain as low as 2% of almonds. I seldom have dairy and just blend about half a dozen almonds per cup of water (you can use more almonds) if I am making a cake instead of using milk. I have made rice milk, it tasted awful. I use my home made almond milk if I ever have coffee at home.

Almonds have calcium, so do green leafy vegetables.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 16:53:50

I read that too Faye, but I guess you don't really drink it for the almonds. It's just a milk substitute IFSWIM.

Faye Mon 09-May-16 17:46:41

I mostly use almonds because they go nicely in my smoothies and why I make my own almond milk jingles. Though cashews would blend up finer though and seem creamier when added with water.

If you read this link from the Harvard University Gazette you probably wouldn't consume anything dairy ever again. smile

2old4hotpants Mon 09-May-16 18:02:27

The one I have is Alpro soya original. It seems quite sweet, may be Ok in custard or milkshakes, but is not to my taste in tea.

Having read the above article, maybe I should just get over the withdrawal symptoms and stick with the green, fruit and herb teas. It has though left me quite concerned for my two youngest grandsons, aged 20 and 22 months. Both of them drink a lot of cows milk daily. Makes me wonder what future problems they may be storing up. Thanks Faye, I am not sure if I should pass this on to their mums. Both of them feel they are doing the best for their babies. I will give it some thought.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 19:00:27

Good job I drink skimmed milk Faye. grin ("hormones reside in milk fat...)

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 19:01:59

Toooldforhotpants encourage their mum to buy organic?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 09-May-16 19:02:16

sorry got name wrong

Jalima Mon 09-May-16 19:26:02

I would take an American study with a pinch of salt (if that is not bad for me); the UK is not America and we do not have the enormous dairy farms they have over there.
She also says:
she is cautious about the implications of her studies of cancer rates and dairy consumption.
For one, said Ganmaa, "milk is a food of great complexity" and contains high levels of beneficial nutrients, including calcium and vitamin D. (Mongolian children, who drink a third less dairy than their American counterparts, have low levels of vitamin D.)
"The hormonal effects of milk are very new," said Ganmaa during questions from her Radcliffe audience. Until more research is done, she said, "I'd like to keep our heads low."
Keeping her head low by publicising the findings!

Don't worry too much 2old4hotpants - if you are concerned then look to see if there have been any British studies.