Gransnet forums

Food

BBC The truth about healthy eating

(115 Posts)
MargaretX Fri 03-Jun-16 10:12:28

I watched this last night and it was amost refreshing programm in which all the super foods and smoothies and vitamins etc were shown to have no effect whatsoever.
The body regulates everything itself. Even bacon and egg is the best breakfast and keeps you feeling full for hours Which everyone knows from the days they spend in hotels and have breakfast there.
Apparently it is not even unhealthy as fried egg does not absorb fat.
I never did believe the nonsense told us on Tv from white coated experts but liked to hear that I was right.
The down side is that too many people spend too much money on things which are useless.

Nonnie1 Fri 03-Jun-16 10:14:30

I had a cup of tea and a slick of Victoria sandwich for my breakfast this morning and it feels great !

I normally have Weetabix, but I just could not resist x

Nonnie1 Fri 03-Jun-16 10:14:43

slice even...

Teetime Fri 03-Jun-16 10:19:32

I watched this but its nothing new I thought but then realised the programmes I watched before on this subject were Channel 4 but quite some time ago now. anyway just shows what a load of expensive bunkum these 'new' foods are.

obieone Fri 03-Jun-16 10:36:09

Were they saying that rickets is not caused by too little Vit D?

Were they saying that excesses of vitamins can cause problems? In fertility and pregnancy for example? confused

Nonnie1 Fri 03-Jun-16 10:44:25

When I was a child, you would see people who had rickets walking around. Everyone knew it was rickets. I can't remember what my mother said about the cause but I think it was a lack of some form of nutrition

LullyDully Fri 03-Jun-16 10:44:34

Nonnie I think a slick of cake sounds more indulgent somehow.

Food fads remind me of teaching fads. What goes around, comes around.

I thought coconut oil was responsible for heart attacks in the tropical areas of the world,, shows what I know.

We are enjoying our return to butter after all that other muck.

f77ms Fri 03-Jun-16 10:54:26

I hope they will do a programme on Alternative medicine and debunk that for the nonsense it is . Homeopathy being the number 1 . I was in the hairdressers listening to two women talking about a visit to an alternative med practitioner , one said she had been told that her body had been overtaken by yeast causing all manner of problems . The `cure` was £130 a month for some obscure vit/mineral which could be bought in Holland and Barrett . I had to keep my mouth shut .

Nonnie1 Fri 03-Jun-16 10:59:07

LullyDully,
I found some coconut butter in a jar at the back of the cupboard. It belonged to my son when he lived here. I took some of it, melted it in the microwave and applied it to my hair for a deep conditioning treatment. It felt silky and smooth so I applied the rest to my face, feet , elbows, knees and hands.

Some of the stuff got into my eyes and I could not focus for hours but when I washed my hair it felt amazing smile

gettingonabit Fri 03-Jun-16 11:03:41

I thought rickets is caused by a lack of vit d, caused by lack of exposure to sunlight. Hence lots of miners and factory workers with it.

I've never believed most of that stuff about goji berries and so on and I'm surprised that someone as supposedly bright as Fiona Phillips is taken in. She's hardly a picture of health, is she? miaow.

I thought the same as a pp about coconut oil.

Just goes to show that you can't trust the experts after all!

loopylou Fri 03-Jun-16 11:11:13

Very interesting programme; I made DH watch it after he'd announced he was going to fork out nearly £30 on some so-called miracle powder he'd spent ages perusing in Holland and Barrett's. It was supposed to make you 'energised and revitalised' I did point out that he was 66 and it's a bit late to think you'd end up like a teenager though better late than never?

Yes, rickets is due to lack of Vit D, sunlight being critical, and it's on the rise because of using high factor sunscreen and in those whose religion dictates that they are covered from head to toe.

littlegran Fri 03-Jun-16 11:36:14

Good program. Had poached egg on toast this morning,

TriciaF Fri 03-Jun-16 11:54:25

Rickets is also caused by lack of calcium, especially when it starts as a baby or young child when the bones are forming. Mostly not enough dairy products.
I quite often see an elderly person here with the typical bent legs, and I know there were terrible food shortages during WW2, even here in France with all its farms. The occupiers took most of it.

Greyduster Fri 03-Jun-16 13:11:09

It was an interesting programme and I hope DD will catch up on it when they get back home. I think it will have some surprises for her! What interested me was the bit about there being no point in trying to boost your existing antioxidant levels because the body stabilises its own levels no matter how much extra you take in, unless I read that wrongly. (I hope my niece didn't see that - she has been on an extra antioxidant crusade since her DH was diagnosed with prostate cancer). Also the bit about fibre in processed foods like instant porridge being reduced because of the milling processes. DD makes smoothies because my s-i-l won't eat fruit and not a lot of veg, but he is happy with all manner of things in a smoothie. Drinking fruit seems to be so much less labour intensive than actually eating it! confused

tanith Fri 03-Jun-16 13:34:36

I thought it was very informative and OH loved the fact that he can have fried eggs(drained of fat) for breakfast. Did I miss a bit I thought Fiona said something about Omega 3 when she was talking about vitamins but didn't catch what was said as if its useless I might as well stop buying it.

annodomini Fri 03-Jun-16 13:47:48

During WW2, children were provided with vitamin D in the form of cod liver oil which I loathed; and vitamin C in orange juice. The national loaf had, I believe, added calcium plus vitamins A and D. So those of us who were small children during that period were no more malnourished than any other generation - perhaps better nourished than many children are today.
www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/574988/War-time-diet-good

granjura Fri 03-Jun-16 14:01:21

Anno I am a post war baby, and grew up in central Europre- but we also had cod liver oil, from a large bottle and one spoon, unwashed, for the whole class everyday. And a 'bol' (round mug) of hot creamy milk at breaktime (that skin - still makes me feel sick today- cannot drink warm milk now).

We have friends, just a bit younger, who have gone 'all funny' about their food recently and it is concerning as their diet is so restricted. They only drink almond milk- which was made clear last night makes them be short of Vitamin B12 (they don't eat meat either) and calcium, and so much more. I do wonder if they were watching the programme, but wouldn't dare ask.

Bellanonna Fri 03-Jun-16 14:23:07

Anno I can still "taste" that awful clinic cod liver oil. Ugh. The clinic oranje juice was nice though. I don't know if you were ever given iron, which also came in liquid form and turned the spoon black. It was revolting and when my mother wasn't looking I used to dispose of it. We are so lucky nowadays with capsules and flavoured medicines. gj. I would have loved that skin. I always asked for it from the custard saucepan, and still like skin from the milk in my breakfast coffee. Weirdo !

M0nica Fri 03-Jun-16 14:24:14

I am/was a war baby. I am the only person I know who actually liked/likes cod liver oil! And I loved the orange syrup we used to get.

I thought most of last nights programme was just rehashing information that has been available from other sources for several years, although the use of regular experiments to prove the point was, I think, a very good idea for convincing the disbelieving.

Thankfully, none of the items FP put in her basket have ever featured in mine so I knew from the start that I would probably reach the end of the program feeling smug. I am apologetic, but I did.

gettingonabit Fri 03-Jun-16 14:45:58

I didn't know that about almond milk. Why do people drink it then? Because it's dairy free?

I thought it was common knowledge about fried eggs not absorbing fat, and about a high protein breakfast being the most filling.

I felt a teeny weeny bit smug too. Some dim people about.

annodomini Fri 03-Jun-16 14:54:55

Anyone remember the rose hip syrup we were also given by the Ministry of Food? School children used to go round the hedgerows in autumn filling sacks with the hips. If you broke one open and stuck it down someone's back it gave them an intolerable itch! A nasty trick.

M0nica Fri 03-Jun-16 14:56:09

To be fair there are good reasons for making some of the expensive selections in the programme that were not covered because they were not relevant.

DD developed a severe lactose intolerance after an accident meant she was on very high doses of multiple antibiotics for a month. The problem was eventually solved but she was drinking and using milk alternatives for nearly 2 years

MargaretX Fri 03-Jun-16 15:56:11

I think that rickets was just because the chidren were poor and had no milk or were not properly fed as very young babies.
In Germany it is called the English disease because of the industrial revolution which put workers in cotton mills and bad housing and seperated them from a bit of garden or common land where they could grow cabbage and potatoes.

My babies got a shot of Vit D at two days old. A deposit as the body can store it.
I remember reading an article from a dutch researcher and he said the most antioxidents were to be found in packet soup. Antioxidents stop it going off.
I had bacon and egg for lunch with fried potatoes. Lovely!

gettingonabit Fri 03-Jun-16 16:07:36

I remember Rosehip Syrup, as a very young child. I think it fell out of favour in the early 60s.

I also remember some very sweet, gloopy orange stuff which I was given as s supplement. Can't remember its name though..

TriciaF Fri 03-Jun-16 16:08:57

I didn't see the programme. Did they say it was right to have plenty of fruit and veg and not too much red meat or processed foods? That's what we try to do, and small helpings.