Gransnet forums

Food

Porridge

(44 Posts)
tiffaney Fri 03-Jun-16 21:25:17

Trying to cut down on wheat as I get really bloated so I've been giving porridge a go. I only have the measured amount sachets but they seem to fill me up all day, and I'm STILL bloated!!

GandTea Fri 03-Jun-16 21:59:20

WE have porridge every morning (except when we fall off thew wagon and og out for a fry up) 50g Porridge oats made with water, no sugar or milk, and a little salt for me. Does keep us satisfied until lunch time, but not bloated.

granjura Fri 03-Jun-16 22:10:26

Great porridge fan here- perfect to keep cholesterol low. Cut down portion if you feel bloated. Use the large oats rather than the small ones, as the GI index (sugar release) is much slower. I put some seeds in too, linseed and sunflower- and have a little cinnamon sugar on it with a little half-skimmed milk.

merlotgran Fri 03-Jun-16 22:16:14

I love porridge made with half milk and water, a dollop of creme fraiche and a tiny drizzle of honey. No bloating and it keeps me going till lunchtime.

Charleygirl Fri 03-Jun-16 22:17:51

Yuck, reminds me of my school days when it was almost force fed down me at school.

GandTea Fri 03-Jun-16 22:22:12

Granjura, yes large rolled oats.

tiffaney Sat 04-Jun-16 12:51:22

I'll experiment with larger oats and less milk. Maybe it's something to do with the pre-packaged stuff. I never use the ones with added syrup tho', only the lowest sugar varieties but will try with basic porridge. I know what you mean Charleygirl. I just couldn't stomach it for years but really want to help my acidy tum and keep cholesterol down.

tanith Sat 04-Jun-16 14:12:11

I certainly think proper plain oats is much better than all those pre-packaged types, who knows what they add I use Scotts Porridge Oats and it does fill me till lunch time I make it with mostly water and just a smidge of milk and syrup I alternate that with shredded wheat.

GandTea Sat 04-Jun-16 14:39:24

YUK, no milk, no sugar, just Oats, water and salt. We cook it in the microwave.

rubysong Sat 04-Jun-16 14:46:26

We have porridge during the winter, (made with milk and a small amount of stevia, oh and a few sultanas). Maybe not ultra healthy but delicious. I put it in the microwave the night before and set the timer and in the morning i put it in bowls and bring it back upstairs. Breakfast in bed!
After the clocks change in spring I have home made meusli every day, except Sunday (egg). DH has other cereals.

rosesarered Sat 04-Jun-16 15:31:30

I love porridge, made with milk, with a drizzle of golden syrup and cream if we have it.
It really is filling, and we have this if walking later, it keeps us going.

baNANAGran3 Sat 04-Jun-16 15:46:09

Tiffany have you tried gluten free porridge? We can't tell the difference but may be better for you. Have ours with grated apple & mixed seeds on top & a drizzle of honey more often than not. Still remember my gran's porridge served with top of the milk cream (from a bottle). Yum.

rosesarered Sat 04-Jun-16 17:30:08

Where do you buy the gluten free porridge?

Wilks Sun 05-Jun-16 07:09:42

Not fond of the stuff myself and I'm always hungry by mid morning when I do eat it.. My husband is a big fan and always soaks his with raisins overnight. Seems to make it more digestible. I have chia pudding with fruit some days, but really like eggs for breakfast. Keeps me full for longer.

granmalala Sun 05-Jun-16 07:40:02

We use Oatmeal, far better I think than Porridge Oats. Made with water, pinch of salt, when ready, chopped banana and a sprinkle of Cinnamon, Yummy, and no bloating and keeps us / me going until lunch time. Good for the "innards " and helps with blood sugar levels too!!

FarNorth Sun 05-Jun-16 07:44:41

Oatibix is like Weetabix but made with oats. It could be worth a try.
I have Oatibix some days and porridge other days.
I make the porridge with water and a spot of salt, then add milk or soya milk while I am eating it.

GrannyMosh Sun 05-Jun-16 07:46:30

Bloating that doesn't go away should be checked by your doctor.

kathyd Sun 05-Jun-16 07:50:05

I have porridge all year round. Love it. Scotts Original and I use a small tub about the size found in boxes of soap powder along with a small handful of golden or ordinary sultanas. Cover with water, 3 minutes in the microwave on high and dribble of milk on top. Delicious and it keeps me going, sometimes till about 3 o'clock.

Disgruntled Sun 05-Jun-16 07:59:52

I usually start the day with a green smoothy: a splash of pure apple juice, some coconut water, then a banana, a few nuts, some wheetgrass, blueberries, spinach and any other berries or fruit or celery - all liquidised.
It's delicious and very filling.

Aepgirl Sun 05-Jun-16 08:13:49

Definitely use large grain 'real' porridge oats. Cook one part oats, one part milk, one part water. No sugar but fresh fruit. Delicious and sustaining.

squirrel5 Sun 05-Jun-16 08:18:36

Hi tiffaney,when I feel bloated I have a nice cup of peppermint flavour green tea, it does the trick x

squirrel5 Sun 05-Jun-16 08:21:48

Hi tiffaney,whenever I feel bloated I have a nice cup of peppermint flavor green tea,usually does the trick x

Sheilasue Sun 05-Jun-16 08:38:41

Tiffany may be you have problems with gluten, you can get gluten free porridge. I have oatabix I found eating porridge made me pass water more. Think it's called water retention

EastEndGranny Sun 05-Jun-16 08:45:24

By chance I discovered that if you pour cold milk onto the oats ( I have 3 spoonfuls, about 30-35g ) and then mix with some fruit ( strawberry season is upon us) and seeds ( if you like them ) or perhaps dried fruit if that is a preference it is fine. It doesn't need to be soaked. I mix the larger flakes with the smaller. Also, and for some one with as sweeter tooth as me I discovered that it was fine with out honey or sugar. If I had hot porridge I'm sure I'd need some honey.

Newquay Sun 05-Jun-16 09:07:42

I have porridge most mornings-the economy pack made with water and some milk. Then small spoon of brown sugar. Followed by bowl of fruit; prunes, blueberries and a satsuma. Don't need much for lunch then.
Have fond memories of my dear Dad making porridge in my childhood-we were so poor it must have been a godsend-and, when I was about 4/5 watching him put some salt in. I told him I didn't like the salt so he took a spoonful out and told me there, no salt now. I can recall thinking at the time, that can't be right! I loved my Dad so much so it was good enough for mesmile