Gransnet forums

Food

Help needed - Foolproof cake/flapjack recipe

(13 Posts)
JessM Sun 10-Jul-16 18:24:52

I'm normally the last person to volunteer to bake cakes. However tomorrow I really do have to cook something that is suitable for selling at 50p a slice. Or per item.
I know the theory and have made cakes in decades past but I'm very out of practice. I have a food processor and an electric oven.
Any suggestions of a foolproof recipe?

shysal Sun 10-Jul-16 18:39:38

This is a foolproof recipe which can be cut into squares for sale. It is lovely and moist.
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1566633/golden-syrup-cake

shysal Sun 10-Jul-16 18:48:00

Another foolproof one. Rather expensive ingredients but gives the appearance of being healthy.
www.carnation.co.uk/Recipes/63/Fruity-Flapjack-Recipe . I am often asked to make these and the above for cake sales. The most popular are my Chelsea Buns but perhaps not for a novice.
Good luck with whatever you choose to bake.

kittylester Sun 10-Jul-16 19:12:58

Delia's all in one sponge but using gf flour is fool proof. I make vanilla cupcakes with butter cream and gf sprinkles or a gf Victoria sponge using the same recipe. People who need gf food are always really grateful that someone thought of them. Well, I am.grin

JessM Sun 10-Jul-16 19:44:52

I think the flapjacks look fantastic - but worth about £2.00 each in ingredients. smile
Just occurred to me that baking tins are also an issue - which I will have to investigate...
Oh I have got a bread maker as well so I'd be interested in the chelsea buns possibility.

Jalima Sun 10-Jul-16 21:39:38

If anyone has a banana cake or muffin recipe that doesn't end up as a lump of stodge I would be grateful smile

All mine have looked fine then sunk to an inch of solids that even the birds refuse.

Four over-ripening bananas sitting waiting in the kitchen - I hate throwing anything away!

kitty DD always makes batches of delicious looking gf cakes for the school sales and they go really well!

Auntieflo Sun 10-Jul-16 22:15:25

my favourite Yummy all in one fruit cake

Serves8-10
Prep time5-10 mins
Cook time60-90 mins

Ingredients
250g (8oz) self-raising flour (white or wholemeal)
125g (4oz) sugar
125g (4oz) mixed dried fruit including cherries
1 egg (beaten)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1 dsp marmalade (optional)
Handy Hint
This can be adapted by adding a mashed, ripe banana, which gives a lovely taste. Can top with flaked almonds before baking if liked. It's a lovely moist cake and freezes well.
Method
1. Mix all ingredients together and transfer to a greased and lined 450g/1lb loaf tin.
2. Bake in middle of pre-heated oven at 180C/Gas Mark 4 for 60 to 90 mins. Test with warmed skewer (I use an old knitting needle!). When it comes out clean, cake is cooked.

Lillie Sun 10-Jul-16 22:16:19

Jalima have you tried making Nigella's banana butterscotch muffins? They work for me every time and are delicious. Sorry I'm not at home at present to send you the recipe or the link but I'm sure a google search will take you to them.
Likewise * JessM* there's a good Lorraine Pascale recipe I like for flapjacks in one of her books. (??)

Grannyknot Sun 10-Jul-16 22:17:27

jess buy a packet(s) of Paul Hollywood flapjack mix (2 for £3 at my Tesco) add melted butter and golden syrup, and bake. They're great and saves buying a gazillion ingredients.

shysal Mon 11-Jul-16 11:23:58

Jalima, Mary Berry's banana cake is lovely. My GCs love it. I have never known it to go wrong!
www.queenofeverything.co.uk/2012/02/06/mary-berrys-banana-loaf/

shysal Mon 11-Jul-16 11:31:27

A bit late for this time maybe, but I buy multi packs of foil trays for these bakes.

JessM Tue 12-Jul-16 08:55:10

Granny knot the flapjacks (coconut ones) were fantastic and incredibly easy.
Was about to attempt the syrup cake until I realised I should have bought 2 jars of syrup. Maybe some other time smile

Jalima Tue 12-Jul-16 09:53:38

Thankyou for the links and recommendations. I will follow a recipe carefully instead of throwing some ingredients into a bowl and hoping for the best hmm
We were out yesterday and are going out again today, the bananas are looking browner and browner!
Perhaps DGD can help me make a cake or muffins tomorrow smile