Gransnet forums

Food

Has anyone cooked one pot pasta?

(48 Posts)
Stansgran Tue 04-Oct-16 19:47:06

I've seen things on Pinterest and Martha Stewart's recipe. Has anyone cooked this? I am about to visit DD1 and I know that there will be no foodstuffs in bar water and pasta and tired veg. I'm hoping that I might be able to conjure a meal miraculously out of thin air.

whitewave Tue 04-Oct-16 20:20:12

It will be OK providing you can add flavouring like oregono or basil with garlic and say a tin of tomatoes all of which you can take with you.

M0nica Wed 05-Oct-16 09:21:15

What is special about one pot pasta? I have, and still use, quite number of recipes where the pasta is cooked with the sauce.

Chopping the vegetables and roasting them in the oven with a spritz of oil and dash of basalmic vinegar, intensifies the flavour and is a very good way of sprucing up tired veg before stirring them into cooked pasta. Stirring in some pesto and/or adding grated parmesan will also help to make the dish tasty.

ninathenana Wed 05-Oct-16 10:01:50

My hard up D will happily eat cooked pasta with just a dollop of ketchup added or mayo.
As others have said tin toms and flavourings are all that's needed. I will do this for lunch and add ham or cold chicken.

trisher Wed 05-Oct-16 10:08:14

Take some parmesan with you- makes everything taste better. She probably won't have a grater, but you can do shavings with a knife or take the pre-grated stuff.

MargaretX Wed 05-Oct-16 11:56:17

I have an ALDI recipe Salmon, Asparagus and pasta cooked together with grated cheese on top-

drain asparagus,save liquid, and cook salmon lightly in it. Make sauce with some cheese. Put everything into a oven casserole and cook till bubbling
Finish off with grated cheese.

Jalima Wed 05-Oct-16 12:10:43

I have done something similar for DGD and me MargaretX, unfortunately DH doesn't like pasta at all. It's delicious.

jollyg Thu 06-Oct-16 07:29:14

Frugal annie here!

With chicken I always boil up the bones, reduce the liquor and stick in the freezer.

Chicken stock with some water , add some veggies, tinned toms cut up, a squirt of garlic puree tube, bring to boil add the pasta, salt.

Cook till al dente, adding water as required. A special treat is to mix in some mascarpone cheese, all in one pot.

LouLou21 Thu 06-Oct-16 10:23:10

This is good (and easy)

cathyd Thu 06-Oct-16 10:31:09

Have you tried adding the pasta to packet soups? I used to make pasta in chicken noodle for my kids for lunch and they seemed to like it, for dinners add meat and veg of your choice and change type of soup.

Lewlew Thu 06-Oct-16 10:40:32

Tuna pasta bake. I have not met anyone who didn't like it and it's easy to make. Buy the quality albacore tuna in water, Sains Tast the Diff makes a good one. I hate normal British tuna, tastes like cat food.

Get real elbow macaroni, not those thin horrid tubes. Boil up and drain and return to the pot you boiled them in. Then pour on top of the macaroni, one can of Cream of Celery condensed soup, 2 tblespoons of dried onion. A good handful of frozen peas, and if you have a bit of good vegetable boullion, like Marigold, a tblespoon of that. It will be stiff, so add a bit of milk, maybe equal to half the can of the soup.

Mix well, no heat needed. Then pour into a ceramic baking dish, like a lasagna depth. Take a tin of QUALITY chopped tomatoes, like Napolina and spread evenly on top.

Now you have a choice. I take 3 packets of salted crisps and crush them and sprinkle as a topping (a childhood fetish). Other use bread-crumbs. Use good ones from Sainsbury's or Waitrose. They often display lemon pepper near the Paxo ones, but plain is best. Then you can sprinkle whatever seasoning on top you like. I use Braai, or you can use Season-All, whatever you like with your tuna. The Lemon Pepper ones are OK, but they are very peppery!

Family recipe from 50 years ago from my late mum's collection. smile

pennturner Thu 06-Oct-16 11:43:03

Pasta and tinned mackerel in tomato sauce is yummy, my grandsons favourite tea.

farmgran Thu 06-Oct-16 22:02:47

Brown mince. Add pasta sauce and some chicken stock and add pasta and then cook for 10 min. You could add extra basil and oregano and garlic but the bought sauces have all that in them.

Nanna58 Thu 06-Oct-16 23:23:22

Just take 3 ingredients - jar of pesto, Parmesan and pack of basil leaves and you're good to go

phoenix Fri 07-Oct-16 00:30:38

Lewlew we enjoy tuna pasta bake too, but beware cooking it for Rob!

(Dum ti dum de dum ti dum, dum ti dum ti daa da................)

CarrieTaylor Mon 10-Oct-16 07:01:06

Lewlew. Cooking time and oven temperature please?
Thank you in advance.

gettingonabit Mon 10-Oct-16 07:53:12

I never thought of actually cooking the pasta in the sauce until I saw the idea on Mumset.

I'm a lazy, reluctant cook.

My favourite thing to do I to add some pasta to a tin of soup and put some cheese on top. Takes all of 15 minutes.

I haven't found anything that doesn't work. Yet.

granjura Mon 10-Oct-16 09:26:01

I am fairly lazy too - but not THAT lazy lol. I mean, how long does it take to cook pasta? However, for me, as I have to watch starch intake (that quickly turns to sugar and fat in the body) - I will always cook pasta separately, wash it under cold water to reduce starch significantly- then re heat with the sauce.

Stansgran Mon 10-Oct-16 10:25:01

This is the Martha Stewart recipe I was thinking about:-
INGREDIENTS

12 ounces linguine
12 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered if large
1 onion, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
2 sprigs basil, plus torn leaves for garnish
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
4 1/2 cups water
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
DIRECTIONS

Combine pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, red-pepper flakes, basil, oil, 2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and water in a large straight-sided skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil mixture, stirring and turning pasta frequently with tongs, until pasta is al dente and water has nearly evaporated, about 9
Season to taste with salt and pepper, divide among 4 bowls, and garnish with basil. Serve with oil and Parmesan.

Stansgran Mon 10-Oct-16 10:57:01

I should've posted this in the original post but I've gleaned some ideas here. Many thanks.

Deedaa Mon 10-Oct-16 21:18:28

If you want something really quick, spaghetti or linguine with a splash of olive oil, lemon juice and a handful of grated parmigiano.

ACE1234211 Thu 15-Aug-19 17:47:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ACE1234211 Thu 15-Aug-19 17:48:04

Demzel Wed 21-Aug-19 12:38:43

Diamuntine Fri 23-Aug-19 20:47:00