Gransnet forums

Food

To prick or not to prick that is the question?

(48 Posts)
Teetime Sat 29-Oct-16 15:53:27

I have just prepared Marry Berry's sausage bake for supper where she instructs me to prick the sausages something I havent done in years. Does one prick or not do you think?

tanith Sat 29-Oct-16 15:54:42

I prick grin

kittylester Sat 29-Oct-16 15:56:05

I don't prick and I've made that - very nice it was too - unpricked!!

Aurelia Sat 29-Oct-16 16:00:46

No, don't prick!

merlotgran Sat 29-Oct-16 16:05:27

I don't prick either.

DaphneBroon Sat 29-Oct-16 16:10:11

If you are frying or grilling sausages with a high fat content they may split if not pricked. But I suspect that sausages today are of a better quality than in Mary's heyday, more meat and lower fat so don't need pricking.
Oh dear, that sounds so rude, my sincere apologies Mary!! blush , but we have become more fat-conscious in our shopping and cooking habits haven't we?

Hilltopgran Sat 29-Oct-16 16:11:40

I do not prick, and I think sausages have become a lot less full of fat over the years, much higher meat content.

Lamb Hot pot for supper here, and again I find lamb has a lot less fat when cooked than it used to.

Charleygirl Sat 29-Oct-16 16:18:22

I am not a fan of sausages, problem solved. I used to love sausages made by the local butcher is=n Scotland and my mother pricked them. I cannot find any that I like.

Greyduster Sat 29-Oct-16 16:29:43

We only eat chipolatas and never prick them. I don't like fat sausages! Our local pork butcher used to make the most wonderful sausages. He died unfortunately - of a heart attack! His son took over the business and he died of a heart attack too! Too many sausages? hmm

Alima Sat 29-Oct-16 16:32:44

I always prick sausages, really must be habit as it says "don't prick" on the packet. Really don't like greasy food so just making sure. Always roast them and they are fine. We like butchers sausages too, ages since we had them.

Kittye Sat 29-Oct-16 16:35:55

Alima I roast my sausages too, don't prick them though.
My mother always pricked them, never knew why.

Badenkate Sat 29-Oct-16 16:56:28

I read once that butchers spent time and expertise ensuring that sausages had no holes in their skins so why should we then put holes in them. I haven't pricked for years.

ninathenana Sat 29-Oct-16 17:25:14

Nope I'm not a pricker thlgrin

tanith Sat 29-Oct-16 17:26:45

I prick them as I find more fat comes out when I grill them.

ginny Sat 29-Oct-16 17:29:58

Good quality sausages don't need to be pricked.

Christinefrance Sat 29-Oct-16 18:11:37

No pricking but I do love a burst sausage when it's all crispy.
Obviously I'm a fan of haute cuisine, my chef husband despairs.

Izabella Sat 29-Oct-16 18:41:37

No pricks here either.

Christinefrance Sat 29-Oct-16 19:26:49

Well someone had to say it.

NonnaAnnie Sat 29-Oct-16 21:23:20

Not fond of sausages any more as previously said can't find any we like.

Suzisue Sat 29-Oct-16 21:24:40

I use frozen sausages so can't pick them lol! Cumberland ones - spicy ones much nicer.

BlueBelle Sat 29-Oct-16 21:39:01

Prick always

1974cookie Sat 29-Oct-16 21:41:51

I could not bear to assault my poor sausages with a fork.
I prefer to let them get warm and cosy in the oven, surrounded by a lovely Yorkshire pudding batter ?

lizzypopbottle Sat 29-Oct-16 21:50:46

I'm a fan of outdoor reared sausages. I like to think of them gambolling cheerfully about outside, having a happy life. Sainsburys or Morrisons pork chipolatas are best and they must be well done.

I was a picky eater as a child and have bad memories of sausages. They always had bits a bone and gristle in them and, if you were daft enough to split them lengthways, there were white bits in them. Urgh! (Shudder ?) I guess they were cheap and my parents didn't have money for steak except fatty, gristly stewing steak which I also hated. Mince was the same. These days, I pick any meat over carefully before cooking it.

Other cultures prize various bits that I wouldn't be able to eat e.g. chickens feet!

Diddy1 Sat 29-Oct-16 22:19:21

I dont like sausages either,DH does and we dont prick them.

Elrel Sat 29-Oct-16 22:24:39

Even when sausages had been pricked sometimes jets of fat would spirt as far as the grill and cause interesting conflagrations!