Gransnet forums

Food

Dirty this and that.

(54 Posts)
Teetime Sun 30-Oct-16 11:40:41

Well I've heard of dirty bombs and dirty Martinis (not sure what they are but yesterday in M & S Food I saw Dirty Potato Skins (they had melted cheese on). I thought it was a bit much or am I wrong to think so?

Jayanna9040 Sun 30-Oct-16 11:41:45

Ughhhhh!

harrigran Sun 30-Oct-16 11:44:49

Yuck, sounds revolting and will not feature on my shopping list.

POGS Sun 30-Oct-16 11:52:56

You could always swill it down with 'Pee Cola' from Ghana.

Hmm, might be a tasty combo actually. smile

merlotgran Sun 30-Oct-16 12:03:00

DH is watching a food (repeat) programme on TV. I've just caught the words, 'Restaurants serving dirty food are all the rage'

Okayeeeee! hmm

SueDonim Sun 30-Oct-16 13:42:04

Dirty burgers apparently are a thing. hmm I think it's meant to denote foods that are forbidden foods e.g. burgers weighted down with cheese/bacon/chilli and so on.

I recently read an interesting article on the western attitude to food, how we talk of forbidden food, guilty treats and so on. Other cultures don't have that, food is just food, it's what you eat to sustain life.

felice Sun 30-Oct-16 13:49:59

As a chef I think it is awful, conjures up some of the revolting kitchen practices I have witnessed over the last 22 years.
Not going to detail them, just one, I would never ever have soup from one of those keep hot cauldron things you see parked at the end of self service buffets. Yuck.

TriciaF Sun 30-Oct-16 14:02:08

I read that the latest trend in french haute cuisine is burnt food - maybe it's a similar idea. Anything as long as it's different.
They slowly over - roast eg veg. so that the inside tastes smokey. Husband says "that's not new, you do it all the time".

Auntieflo Sun 30-Oct-16 14:34:00

Tricia, Ibelong to the same school of cuisine as you, and yet we didn't relaise we were trend setters

rubylady Mon 31-Oct-16 04:05:09

Tricia's husband grin

absent Mon 31-Oct-16 04:41:09

Dirty Rice – a mixture of rice, pork, chicken livers and gizzards, onions, peppers, herbs and cayenne pepper – is a traditional Cajun dish and a Dirty Martini – a Dry Martini with the addition of a little brine from a jar of cocktail olives – has been around for decades. I'm pretty sure that there are other "dirty" recipes but these are the first two that sprang to mind.

M0nica Mon 31-Oct-16 06:04:42

We are in France at the moment and been enjoying nibbling 'Nuts and Cracks,' a brand of mixed nuts and crackly bits, that we found in the local supermarket.

kittylester Mon 31-Oct-16 06:27:28

We were in France years ago and were dipping into the complementary nuts that arrived with the drinks until DS2 asked what sort of nut he had in his hand. It was a cockroach! shock

That qualifies as dirty food and, probably, Nuts and Cracks!grin

Teetime Mon 31-Oct-16 09:16:28

Gizzards. Lovely. Thank you for the explanation of a dirty Martini I wondered what they were but none of the other stuff I'm very food hygiene conscious having been an Infection Control Nurse some years ago and managed several foo poisoning outbreaks. The microbiologists I worked with would never eat food from a buffet and with a brother who is a chef I've heard and seen a lot a lot of nasty kitchen things. Mind you it can go too far. DH seems to be barking up the tree that he only wants food that I have cooked from fresh at home which is a bit of a trial. Its nice to go out and enjoy a meal.

floorflock Mon 31-Oct-16 10:16:21

I believe that all buffet food can be classed as 'dirty food'. We never go to a buffet. Just imagine; you got there before you? Did they accidentally spit spittal at it whilst talking, cough, sneeze etc. It's bad enough that you can't see into the kitchens and see what the staff are doing let alone what other customers will add to the concoction. For that reason i'm out!

townie Mon 31-Oct-16 10:30:54

This recent trend doesn't refer to poor food hygiene.
As a PP said, It's just a reaction to the craze for super 'healthy', so-called 'clean' food, free from sugar, carbs, wheat, etc,etc. 'Dirty' food doesn't meet purist criteria for 'healthiness but is tasty and enjoyable to eat. E.g. There have been 'dirty hamburger' places around for some years now.

GrandmaJules Mon 31-Oct-16 10:43:59

Ah, thank goodness someone else thinks the same as me!

Legs55 Mon 31-Oct-16 10:44:45

Right I'm now going to put hard hat & flak jacket on - we have become too hygiene conscious leading to lower immunity. I was brought up with the "a little bit of dirt never did you any harm". I rarely check dates on food preferring to use my senses, smell, looks & taste. thlhmm

I can hear the "howls of outrage" but I am also of the opinion that "what the eye don't see, the heart don't grieve" thlgrin

There are lots of things that go on in Kitchens that you would not believe & don't for one minute think the "poshest" restaurant has the highest standards of hygiene. It is a personal opinion & I'm not sure that I would want to eat something labelled "dirty" just my own observations thlhmm

Carolpaint Mon 31-Oct-16 11:01:21

Thank you Townie thank you Legs, can there be another site for braver Grans cos this site rarely reflects real life thinking ones.

tigger Mon 31-Oct-16 11:10:00

Oh, and who do you think you are to make such an observation?

tigger Mon 31-Oct-16 11:10:54

PS, this was in response to Carolpaint. Perhaps you should try another website

Nanamaz Mon 31-Oct-16 11:23:17

My late Grandmother used to say "You've got to eat a peck of dirt before you die". Just looked up a 'peck' and it equates to 9.9 dry litres! I don't think she meant it was compulsory, just that less than a peck wouldn't kill you. Don't think I'll try to reach that target!

Jalima Mon 31-Oct-16 11:33:27

My DM used to say that too Nanamaz

I would never ever have soup from one of those keep hot cauldron things you see parked at the end of self service buffets. Yuck.
shock oh dear!

Townie I was thinking along those lines too, there has been the trend for 'clean eating' lately so probably people are sick of hearing about that and what they should and should not be eating from the food nannies.
However, the term dirty food is quite offputting; but it doesn't mean unhygienic, it means 'bad for you food' - ie naughty but nice.

Spindrift Mon 31-Oct-16 11:57:08

Legs55 I totally agree with you this is the reason there are so many bad bugs about no good bugs to see them off. As for soup, I worked in a posh hotel during a summer break from college, brown Windsor soup was always on the menu on Friday all it was, was all the left over soup during the week with gravy browning added to make it dark enough

SueDonim Mon 31-Oct-16 11:59:17

My mother-in-law used to say a good layer of dirt keeps the germs out. She lived to be almost 94 so it didn't do her any harm! grin