Gransnet forums

Food

to remove or not ??

(45 Posts)
Mary59nana Sun 06-Nov-16 11:59:49

Yesterday I made a lovely warming stew for myself in my slow cooker I used mince and a variety of veg
I know that it taste even better the next day but not sure if I'm to leave the fat that has formed on the top.
I do remember my mum saying it the best bit and it adds to the flavouring.
Would love to know your opinions and what you have done smile

Ana Sun 06-Nov-16 12:09:17

I always remove as much of it as I can - I hate fatty food!

glammanana Sun 06-Nov-16 12:22:25

I'd get rid of as much fat as I possibly could to be honest,dont want to be clogging up the old arteries do we.

Anya Sun 06-Nov-16 12:37:04

There's a lot of misinformation re fats, especially saturated fats. Some fats are actually good for us, such as those in oily fish, and dairy fats now are being recognised as OK saturated fats.

Having said that I'd still tend to skim excess fat off beef, lamb and pork.

vampirequeen Sun 06-Nov-16 12:50:42

If the fat was in the stew yesterday then what's wrong with eating it again today.

Teetime Sun 06-Nov-16 12:54:24

I take it off cant bear fat in food or in me come to that which is where it will go if left in.

janeainsworth Sun 06-Nov-16 12:54:59

Agree with vq and your mum, mary.
A bit of what you fancy does you good wink

Ana Sun 06-Nov-16 12:58:10

Because today you can see it, Vampirequeen and it's usually hard and yellowish!

a bit of what you fancy is fine, jane. I just don't fancy it myself! grin

Thingmajig Sun 06-Nov-16 13:02:47

I would remove any visible fat off the top too. I can do without any extra on this body!!!

janeainsworth Sun 06-Nov-16 13:09:33

I have to admit Ana I don't like the taste of lamb fat so I do skim that off if I've made a lamb stew smile

Mary59nana Sun 06-Nov-16 13:11:40

Thank you all
Iv just spent to last 10mins removing it all
I suppose putting fat into your body is a big no no
Having said that I have got a packet of butter on the go just can't beat that taste on Chrispy fresh bread ..... like you said Jane a bit of what you fancy smile. Thank you all

kittylester Sun 06-Nov-16 13:52:20

There is nothing wrong with butter!

Mary59nana Sun 06-Nov-16 14:00:21

I know that Kittylester it is just butter became very unpopular a few years ago with Flora and all the other spread being advertised as the heathy option

hildajenniJ Sun 06-Nov-16 15:57:24

You've still got to be careful around low fat spreads as trans fats are just as bad for your heart. If it contains hydrogenated vegetable oil that's bad. I've gone back to using butter. I skim off the fat released by mince and stewing meat though. I don't like the greasiness.

M0nica Sun 06-Nov-16 16:19:59

I make a lot of casseroles and stews, using both mince and diced meat but rarely, if ever have any fat on top of the dish after it has cooled. Is there a lot of fat on the meat you are using, in which case, just cut it off before you cook.

We all need some fat in our diet. Fat helps you absorb vitamins A, D, E, and K, the so-called fat-soluble vitamins. Fat also fills your fat cells and insulates your body to help keep you warm. The fats your body gets from your food give your body essential fatty acids called linoleic and linolenic acid. So do not to keen to eliminate all the fat in your food.

An excess of any food type is likely to do you harm. I have always used butter. I have yet to find an alternative I like and I think unless you do eat out of the frying pan, you are unlikely to consume damaging quantities of saturated fats.

merlotgran Sun 06-Nov-16 16:24:24

I always make lamb dishes in the slow cooker a day early because the fat is easy to pick off after it has spent a night in the fridge. The flavour is better on the second day as well.

Ana Sun 06-Nov-16 16:31:00

You can't cut the fat off mince, M0nica, and I find there is a fatty layer after cooling in the fridge despite buyin 'lean' mince and using no fat at all during the cooking process.

M0nica Sun 06-Nov-16 16:34:46

I get more fat off mince than diced meat, but only enough to form a thin film on the food that would be impossible to remove.

grannypiper Sun 06-Nov-16 17:02:04

Butter is pure, spreads share some of the same chemicals as paint !

Alima Sun 06-Nov-16 17:18:06

I always heat mince before adding it to anything. That way it is easy to remove the liquidised fat. Surprising how much there is even in "lean" packs. Don't do fat at all, if I want taste I add seasoning or spices.

Mary59nana Sun 06-Nov-16 17:25:12

Monica found your post about the pluses of fat in our diet very interesting and but not surprising. Past generations always knew the benefits of fats ..... even rubbing it on our chest when poorly ( goose grease )

Jalima Sun 06-Nov-16 18:03:41

If you fry the mince first then you release the excess fat and can skim it off before carrying on with whatever you want to make it into.

I usually buy mince with less than 10% fat (or less than 5% fat if I can find it).
It is usually named 'minced steak' rather than 'minced beef'.

I find minced lamb a bit fatty but, of course, it is more traditional for a Shepherd's Pie.

If you eliminate all fat and oils from your diet you may find it more difficult to lose weight if you want to.

Jalima Sun 06-Nov-16 18:05:30

when I say fry the mince first I mean dry-fry in a non-stick frying pan, not in extra fat or oil obviously!
You won't be able to drain it all off but that is good because you need some fat in your diet.

TriciaF Sun 06-Nov-16 18:15:11

I wonder if anyone still eats bread and beef dripping?
I agree with those who say we need some fat in our diet. I use the rendered fat from our chickens in various ways eg in dumplings.
We don't like the taste of lamb fat though - I think it used to be used to make candles.

janeainsworth Sun 06-Nov-16 20:50:24

I love beef dripping on toast tricia but we rarely have roast dinners now, and beef has less fat than it used to have.
So by the time you've used the fat to make the gravy there's usually none left over for toast sad