Gransnet forums

Food

Good food finds in the run up to Christmas

(105 Posts)
Grannyknot Mon 28-Nov-16 19:02:44

I think we may have had a similar thread before (but not about Christmas food).

I found these at my local Co-op, 9 miniature Christmas puddings, with gold flake covering. They are delicious! (We tested for quality). So I'm off to buy some more for the big day. Only £4.

Please post any finds here. smile

Candlefran Mon 28-Nov-16 19:11:31

Once again Iceland have swept the floor with their Luxury Mince Pies. Best on the market IMHO!

Candlefran Mon 28-Nov-16 19:12:27

boards perhaps? Not floor

Candlefran Mon 28-Nov-16 19:14:54

Should we be listing calorie content?

Nah!

glassortwo Mon 28-Nov-16 20:13:16

Only tried Aldi and Asda mince pies so far this year, but I must say the Aldi won hands down.

Jalima Mon 28-Nov-16 20:19:37

Should we be listing calorie content?
that would depend on what they picked up on the floor!

I was going to make mince pies. Should I bother? I may have to as we don't have an Iceland, Asda, Aldi or Co-op

NanaandGrampy Mon 28-Nov-16 20:59:02

In the interests of scientific investigation , we have tried M & S , Aldi and Tesco's mince pies.

M and S were head and shoulders above the rest BUT twice the price of the close second Aldi. Tesco's just didn't make the grade .

grannyactivist Mon 28-Nov-16 22:06:06

The Wonderful Man has just made his first batch of mince pies, but our son, who is an expert (well, he says he is), has decreed that Lidl mince pies beat all others except for home made ones.

Grannyknot - methinks I shall be visiting this thread from time to time over the next few weeks. smile

rosesarered Mon 28-Nov-16 22:07:56

Have bought some Sainsburys stollen also from Waitrose, but think I should also get some from M&S to compare.tchsmile

rosesarered Mon 28-Nov-16 22:10:34

I always make some mince pies and DH hovers about ready to descend on them the minute they come out of the oven.I have a couple of friends who even make their own mincemeat ( a step too far.)

Candlefran Mon 28-Nov-16 22:19:55

I've made my own mincemeat. Doesn't everybody? confused Shop bought mincemeat is horrible.

Candlefran Mon 28-Nov-16 22:21:43

Asda Baker's Best (or something) were very nice. Close second to the Iceland Luxury ones.

Candlefran Mon 28-Nov-16 22:24:44

I have got a large kilner jar of last year's mincemeat left. Will use it in mince pies just for DH and me. So as not to poison anyone else.

rosesarered Mon 28-Nov-16 22:28:48

Nope Candle everbody doesn't make their own mincemeat tchgrin and horrible is in the mouth of the beholder ( usually my DH's mouth, he will eat any mince pie at all.)

Cherrytree59 Mon 28-Nov-16 22:39:16

My sister makes her own mincemeat and very kindly makes some
mince pies for us
Roses I cheat where ever possible
So its bought mincemeat with a few drops of brandy and a few dried cranberries for added colour.

Tins of biscuits are no more.
They are all in cardboard boxes
Foxes have produced a very long single tier flat cardboard biscuit box.
I think its to fool us in to thinking we are getting a lot of biscuitshmm.

annsixty Mon 28-Nov-16 23:26:33

Not really mince pies, although they are only on sale at Christmas, but our favourites are Sainsbury's Ecclefechan tarts, delicious.

Shanma Tue 29-Nov-16 00:00:13

Ecclefechan tarts...YEUK I tried some and had to spit it out.

Jane10 Tue 29-Nov-16 06:50:21

A good Ecclefechan tart is hard to beat!

glassortwo Tue 29-Nov-16 06:59:58

Oh never had an Ecclefechan tart before , I will look out for one.

kittylester Tue 29-Nov-16 07:00:45

I'd be interested in any good gf food anyone comes across. I'm on a mission to find a gf panettone that doesn't cost a fortune. I'm always soon jealous when I smell DH toasting some for breakfast.

I used to love Ecclefechan tarts before I started avoiding gluten.sad

pensionpat Tue 29-Nov-16 07:19:39

Last year I bought a panne tone from Aldi. It was in a very useful tin, taller than usual, and had tiny bits of meringue scattered over the top. Only cost £5. Delicious.

JackyB Tue 29-Nov-16 07:23:40

I would have thought gf Pannetone was an oxymoron. The Italians have only just got their heads around vegetarianism.

kittylester Tue 29-Nov-16 07:36:13

There are some around but they cost about £10 per bite! And that's too much to gamble! Gf pasta is acceptable.

kittylester Tue 29-Nov-16 07:37:24

That's oxymoron casseroles AND panettone - wow! grin

grannypiper Tue 29-Nov-16 07:40:38

kittylester if you have a lidl nearby, pick up one of their lidlsuprises christmas magazines and in the back is a voucher for 40% off panettone. There is also vouchers for 40% off a huge bag of spiced biscuits (yummy with coffee), Belgian sea shell chocs and last but not least 40% off mature cheddar. The vouchers are valid until 18th December.