Gransnet forums

Food

Which pastry for homemade mince pies?

(54 Posts)
Candlefran Tue 29-Nov-16 15:01:00

I have made puff pastry for mine for years. It is delicious but the drawback is it can dump the mincemeat onto the oven floor as the pies rise. Also, of course, it's extra high in calories. (I know that doesn't matter at Christmas but - you know!)

Which do you use/prefer, puff, shortcrust, or a sweet pastry?

Jalima Wed 14-Dec-16 20:35:24

TriciaF it's gluten-free pastry - made for my DD and a complete disaster!
Mrs Crimble's is a gf pastry mix which I'll try next time.

TriciaF Wed 14-Dec-16 17:11:33

What's GF pastry? I thought you meant the pastry that one of your relatives made smile

Jalima Wed 14-Dec-16 15:46:54

TriciaF that was the GF pastry - I have never made successful GF pastry. Even the birds refused it.
grin

However - my pastry and cakes were both much better before I had a fan-only oven.

TriciaF Wed 14-Dec-16 14:26:03

Jalima wrote 'like a lead balloon' That's what my pastry has always been like until recently, when I finally realised what I'd been doing wrong - too much water.
I can only make one kind, I use soft margarine, plain flour and a little egg with the water. Just a few drops is enough to bind.
Made a delicious sausage pie for lunch today, with some tasty onion gravy.
Maybe mince pies next week.

Jalima Tue 13-Dec-16 16:29:26

I really must make an effort, perhaps tomorrow grin

BBbevan Tue 13-Dec-16 15:12:20

Don't know who's recipe but a friend gave it to me years ago.Jalima Very moreish !

Jalima Tue 13-Dec-16 12:27:00

Shortcrust with a dash of orange. Then a teaspoon of cream cheese on top of the mincemeat under the lid. Lovely
That sounds like Jocelyn Dimbleby's recipe BBevan, I haven't tried it but my friend makes them like that.

Barmyoldbat Tue 13-Dec-16 11:26:09

JackyB, many yearsago, tomany to count, I went to catering college for two years and we were taught to make mince pies using an egg yolk and butter in the pastry. Still make them that way when I do make them. Works a treat

Nana3 Tue 13-Dec-16 07:13:53

I still buy margarine for pastry, I think it works better than butter and no need for lard.
I've always made shortcrust for mince pies but this year added sugar and an egg. It was much easier to roll out and tasted good. I never glaze with milk or egg, I prefer the pastry crumbly.

I'm boring myself now tchgrin. Merry Christmas.

JackyB Tue 13-Dec-16 06:43:55

For a Christmas party on Saturday I baked some and added to the pastry a pinch of whatever was to hand from the spice shelf - ground cloves, ginger and cinnamon. The kick from the ginger prompted some very favourable comments.

BBbevan Tue 13-Dec-16 06:19:22

Shortcrust with a dash of orange. Then a teaspoon of cream cheese on top of the mincemeat under the lid. Lovely

Shirleyw Tue 13-Dec-16 05:25:30

Orange shortcrust for mine. Does have equal portions of lard and butter also it's more than half fat to flour say 3/4 , orange rind and the juice to mix,

DaphneBroon Fri 02-Dec-16 17:43:04

Last night at our Thursday group's Festive Fun, the secretary brought Mary Berry's frangipane mince pies. More like little muffins, but slipped down a treat!

Greyduster Fri 02-Dec-16 17:36:32

I always freeze them after they've been baked and they are fine when thawed out and reheated, or even eaten cold which is how I prefer them. Made the first batch of the season this afternoon - had to keep slapping DH's hands!

Jalima Thu 01-Dec-16 19:45:45

Thank goodness for Mrs Crimble.
My GF pastry was like a lead balloon.

Naughty aggie grin
or perhaps you don't eat them all yourself!

aggie Thu 01-Dec-16 18:31:32

I never freeze them , maybe that is why I have very few in the tin come the big day hmm

whitewave Thu 01-Dec-16 18:26:49

Gluten free!!! I buy Mrs Crimbles which is OK and Tesco is selling ready made now which is even easier.

Nelliemoser Thu 01-Dec-16 18:22:29

What on earth are supermarkets for if not Mincepies. Decent soft pastry and good mincemeat no faffing about.

If you have ever seen my attempts at pastry you would see why this is my prefered option.

Jalima Wed 30-Nov-16 23:01:53

When I have frozen batches I have done it before baking and before putting the little hole in the top so that they didn't dry out in the freezer.
I don't know if they would, but I read it years ago in a freezer book.
Then make a hole with a skewer before baking.

Marmight Wed 30-Nov-16 22:53:50

How long can you keep mince pies after making? Can they be frozen? If so, at what stage? I am going away before Christmas and want to take home made pies with me!

hildajenniJ Wed 30-Nov-16 22:27:04

This pastry is great. I miss out the orange peel as there is citrus in the mincemeat. I like any pastry with nuts in it.

M0nica Wed 30-Nov-16 16:28:15

Sweet crust plus some made with filo pastry into little triangular packages.

I no longer make mince pies, many years ago DD said she would make the them as one of her contributions to the family Christmas, so I make the mincemeat, hand it to her and forget about them until Christmas Eve.

Izabella Wed 30-Nov-16 13:27:31

Yes, three lots in the big freezer. I usually cook them first and defrost however many I need in the microwave.

Jalima Wed 30-Nov-16 13:16:27

I was very organised one year (but not as far as cleaning the oven every week!) because I was pregnant and due just before Christmas.
However, that was over 40 years ago and it didn't become a habit.

JackyB Wed 30-Nov-16 12:17:06

I used to work with a girl who was supremely well organised. She always cleaned her oven after doing the Sunday roast, and in October she came in and announced that her mince pies were done and in the freezer.

40 years later, I'm still trying to get as organised as she was!