Gransnet forums

Food

A trifling issue

(45 Posts)
LyndaW Thu 01-Dec-16 09:48:56

My OH loves trifle but I can't stand it. Every year we either end up having two desserts which is just madness, or else I go without (I know, first world problem). I was wondering if anyone had a good recipe for a trifle without cream or jelly (the two worst offenders in my opinion) so that I might be able to win him round to a compromise?

Teetime Thu 01-Dec-16 10:19:17

Well a traditional trifle doesn't have jelly I seem to remember. How about this. Use amoretti biscuits as your base soaked in a liquor, some fresh raspberries on top and then a luxurious ready made custard e.g. M & S, decorate with toasted almond slivers- if you are making it send me a bowl would you? My DH hates trifle. smile

minimo Thu 01-Dec-16 10:39:38

That sounds delicious Teetime. I'm also not a fan of trifle but that actually sounds quite good. Although not sure I would ever forgo my chocolate log... grin

jordana Thu 01-Dec-16 10:42:07

I love trifle but unfortunately my tummy doesn't!

Greyduster Thu 01-Dec-16 10:43:12

I would not deign to give advice after my last effort at making one was such a complete Horlicks. I should, on reflection, have drunk the sherry and thrown the other ingredients straight in the bin. It used to be a staple of our family gatherings, but from now on if I want trifle - and I do love it - I'll buy one from the supermarket!

Luckygirl Thu 01-Dec-16 10:48:42

I love trifle and make it for the GC - this is my quick way (but no use to Lynda - sorry):
- old bits of stale cake in bottom of dish
- frozen raspberries (still frozen) in next
- pour over jelly (made by putting the cubes in the microwave in a jug with a tiny bit of water , then lots of cold water - so it sets very speedily)
- then a tin of ready-made custard.
Children then decorate top (liberally!!) with bits and bats, if I can persuade them not to eat them all!

annodomini Thu 01-Dec-16 10:58:21

I like your solution, Teetime. Cream has always made me a bit queasy, but last Christmas, I ate a creamy trifle and was very 'unwell' the next day. Never again. If I was making trifle, I'd serve the cream separately.

ninathenana Thu 01-Dec-16 11:04:06

I CBA to make trifle though I do love it. I buy supermarket ones but scrape of the fake cream. Stupid I know smile

granjan15 Fri 02-Dec-16 10:15:18

I use a raspberry Swiss roll sliced and soaked in a sherry and sugar solution. Top this with a thick homemade confectioner's custard. Top with whipped cream which half the family scrape off before eating! Best made the day before. Definitely no fruit or jelly in a grown up trifle!

Irenelily Fri 02-Dec-16 10:38:17

I have always hated jelly, as a child at parties no one could believe it! Most of my family are not keen either. My trifle is made with sponge cakes, a tin of peaches ( the juice soaks into the sponge) then custard - either homemade or ready made, decorate with cherries or strawberries and serve the cream separately. My children used to call it Teddy Bear! ? Maybe because it was yellow and the sponge cakes were soft! Who knows?

TillyWhiz Fri 02-Dec-16 10:45:32

As neither of us can eat mince pies or Christmas pud now (digestive probs) we both choose our own puds in the supermarket - there are some yummy ones, especially in M&S and Waitrose!

Blinko Fri 02-Dec-16 10:46:32

I used to make trifle when the DSs were small, as a staple on a Sunday for tea. When they grew older, they told me one liked jelly but not the custard/blancmange, the other was t'other way round. So I had to give up on trifle altogether... It seems I couldn't do right for doing wrong in our house. smile

veronica2X5 Fri 02-Dec-16 10:49:37

sponge cake well soaked in sherry,add kiwi or other fruit, top with half small ambrosia custard and nutmeg, This my everyday version. Jelly never. For special occasions, homemade custard and whipped cream plus cherries on top.

Angela1961 Fri 02-Dec-16 10:51:16

I've not used jelly for years. Having said that the only time I make it is we have one brother in law who loves it but his wife never does one so it's his ' treat '. They live over 250 miles away so don't visit often.

Fran0251 Fri 02-Dec-16 10:56:25

What's wrong with two puds at Christmas. I ALWAYS serve Christmas Pud, can't have Christmas without it but know the family are not keen on it, so another pud, and ice cream and sliced oranges that can be done several days in advance. Kids & health fans all happy. I always buy the top of the "top 10 Xmas puds" Last year was Sainsbury. It was full of fruit, etc and not like the stodgy traditional kind. Unusually liked by almost all!

Jane43 Fri 02-Dec-16 11:00:45

My younger son used to hate cream but would eat Angel Delight so I used to make a small one for him using that instead of cream. When the tv chefs make trifle they don't use jelly do they?

radicalnan Fri 02-Dec-16 11:18:22

Christmas is for puds surely? I have been using canned raspberries and soaking the sponge, usually swiss roll in the juice, bit of sherry if for grown ups.......decent custard and top with white chocolate scrapings,flaked almonds...........

ExaltedWombat Fri 02-Dec-16 12:09:16

He likes trifle. Don't fob him off with something that looks vaguely like trifle but isn't.
Have a 'sweet trolly' in your 'fridge. Let it include a bowl of trifle, the way he likes it. Each choose what you want at each meal. Maybe he'll choose trifle every day for a week! So make a big one.

JackyB Fri 02-Dec-16 12:23:29

It sounds like we should all re-think the trifle and serve each of the layers separately. For those who can't take the milk, just serve the fruit layer, with the sponge if they like, then others get the blancmange and those who can eat cream can spoon themselves a dollop out of the third dish.

If you use tall glasses, you can get the layer effect in the glass.

Or, as has been suggested, just put sherry in the glass and forget the rest.

Hilltopgran Fri 02-Dec-16 12:31:53

Chocolate triffle is nice, use chocolate Swiss roll on Base, top with fruit of choice, black cherries are good, add some liquid or juice of choice and top with Chocolate custard made with cornflour, sugar and coco.

jordana Fri 02-Dec-16 12:37:10

So many lovely choices of trifle. Since some of you don't like jelly , do you have 'quickjel ' instead? I have used it in the past and it is as it says 'quick setting '

GillT57 Fri 02-Dec-16 13:03:13

2 puds is best, by the time you have leftovers on Boxing day I am sure you can manage! I hate jelly in a trifle, I generally make the Delia Smith one; trifle sponges, load of frozen raspberries, sliced banana, topped with supermarket top of the range fresh custard with vanilla, then a little bit of cream. Delicious, and can always serve the cream separately.

Tizliz Fri 02-Dec-16 13:26:28

Greyduster Horlicks in trifle - no wonder it didn't work. grin

You will have to excuse me, I am bored - supposed to be doing the accounts

Chrishappy Fri 02-Dec-16 13:45:25

Why not make the trifle in small individual glasses for him pop them in fridge, then he can have one whenever he fancies. Nothing worse that a large trifle that's been dug into sliding round the bowl and going watery

Craftycat Fri 02-Dec-16 13:57:14

Only 2 desserts!! Those are what I enjoy making ( & eating) most of all. Got to have a trifle.