Gransnet forums

Food

Are you having a Delia, a Nigella or a Mary Christmas?

(72 Posts)
DaphneBroon Tue 06-Dec-16 10:16:45

(See what I did there?)
Whose books or recipes do you turn to?
So far I am doing a Delia venison casserole and chocolate bread and butter pudding, a Nigella ham in Coca Cola and a Mary Berry turkey and ham raised pie.

Thingmajig Tue 06-Dec-16 10:30:33

I always make Mary Berry's raspberry Meringue Roulade for dessert ... it easy to make, always turns out and is ideally light for after the gluttony!

appygran Tue 06-Dec-16 11:24:37

None of the above, M&S for me.

henetha Tue 06-Dec-16 11:31:24

None of those really. Just me muddling through as usual.
Spending part of it on my own this year, so shall buy some little treats and do minimum cooking. I feel huge sympathy for those of you who have to cater for zillions.

Skullduggery Tue 06-Dec-16 11:33:57

I think we're having curry for Xmas dinner, so I'll be consulting my curry cookbooks.

I've given up cooking a traditional Christmas dinner as there's only me that likes it. My DS doesn't eat veg other than peas and carrots, my DH is a fish eating veggie and I eat anything. I'm fed up having to cook 2-3 different meals for dinners on a daily basis and a curry will be easy. I'll still have to do something separate for DS, but he's only 7.

shysal Tue 06-Dec-16 12:43:01

Last year I tried this Phil Vickery method. I was a bit worried because it is really quick, but because it is partly steamed it was the moistest I have ever cooked. He includes a chart of cooking times for all weights for whole turkey or crown.I don't know yet whether I am cooking turkey this year, but this is the method I shall use for ever more!
www.vickery.tv/phil-vickerys-recipes/christmas/item/phil-s-perfect-roast-turkey

cangran Tue 06-Dec-16 12:50:37

None of the above - Rose Elliot as we're mostly vegetarians and her tasty nut loaf with red wine gravy have been our traditional Christmas dinner since our kids were small. I've already made two nut loaves and gravy so it's all in the freezer. We'll prepare the vegetables, ready to cook, just warming up the loaves and gravy, making dinner on the day quite relaxing!

I would like a simple starter that can be made ahead - any ideas?

Granny23 Tue 06-Dec-16 13:28:29

We will be enjoying a traditional Yorkshire Christmas Dinner as cooked by my DSIL. On New Years day it will be Broth and steak/sausage pie (with a veggie sausage & mushroom version for our vegetarians) cooked by myself. Not a cook book in sight in either house. I regard cooking as an ART - following recipes = cooking by numbers.

ninathenana Tue 06-Dec-16 13:31:18

Do you eat dairy ?
I had a very tasty brie and red onion tartlet at a birthday lunch. No recipe but I'm sure you could find one.

ninathenana Tue 06-Dec-16 13:33:54

Delia's coca cola gammon
nina's everything else smile

ninathenana Tue 06-Dec-16 13:35:06

For goodness sake !! that should be Nigela sorry

felice Tue 06-Dec-16 13:38:38

We have Brazilian friends coming for Christmas day, they have their Christmas meal on Christmas eve.
So on Christmas day I am making a pot of the childrens favourite Tomato Soup, then a mini buffet, being lots of mini favourites.
We will use the table top grill and have kebabs, little lamb chops, sausages in bacon etc.
Also mini Quiches, sausage rolls, mini pasties.
Lots of things that everyone loves especially the children.
SIL will be working Christmas Eve until late and back again early Boxing day so we can all just graze whenever we feel like it.

NonnaW Tue 06-Dec-16 13:43:58

Jacket potatoes and steak for us. Given up on traditional. Sister and sons warned that if they visit, don't expect turkey!

whitewave Tue 06-Dec-16 14:02:46

I'm having a Waitrose and M&S Christmas blush

whitewave Tue 06-Dec-16 14:04:51

In my defence I've cooked like a lunatic in previous years starting in October and doing everything from scratch except killing and plucking the turkey, so now I'm taking life easy and must say enjoying it!

hildajenniJ Tue 06-Dec-16 14:17:50

I'm having a Hilda Christmas. I seldom follow any recipes, preferring to make it all my own work. I love cooking at Christmas and I'm a whizz with a pavlova!☺☺☺

Izabella Tue 06-Dec-16 14:29:56

I have many cook books and read them for ideas. I then just make up a recipe. Seems to work.

tanith Tue 06-Dec-16 14:34:57

None of the above, I do my own thing and very happy doing it. Haven't got to cook Christmas dinner and probably have leftover turkey/beef with fried up vegs and mash with pickles nothing spectacular but its what we like.

annodomini Tue 06-Dec-16 14:47:09

Delia for a Christmas cake. Haven't made one for years but know her recipe to be very reliable.

kittylester Tue 06-Dec-16 16:38:38

Mostly a kitty Christmas with a little m and S and a little aldi. Most of my recipes start off as someone's but very quickly become my version.

Our Christmas is lasting about 6 days so I'm busy packing the freezer and DH has to keep nipping to Tesco for yet another plastic box. Heaven knows where I'll keep them after.

KatyK Tue 06-Dec-16 16:45:07

We're having a 'going to my sister's house and eating whatever she serves up' Christmas. It's always lovely.

ffinnochio Tue 06-Dec-16 18:19:48

Haven't a clue, as we've been invited to a friends house, so anything will be great. I seriously doubt that it will be any of the OP's choices though.
I'm taking cheese which will be a combo of sheep, cow and goat.

bellsisabelle Tue 06-Dec-16 18:24:22

I will be having a Mary Cadogan, Good Food magazine November 1993, Christmas. As always. With a little Mrs Beetons thrown in.

nanaK54 Tue 06-Dec-16 18:29:37

I'm not hosting this year, so will enjoy whatever DS and DDIL serve!

Nelliemoser Tue 06-Dec-16 18:58:18

Rose Elliotts vegerarian turkey!