Gransnet forums

Food

Calamari V Cod

(46 Posts)
tanith Mon 12-Dec-16 18:59:03

Maybe I just haven't had it cooked well but 2 or 3 times I've tried Calamari in the Mediterranean I've found it very rubbery and chewy and frankly tasteless I really didn't like the look of it either being purple/bluish. Maybe when its coated and fried in rings it will appeal more but I don't think I would ever want it instead of cod and chips.
How about you?

nanaK54 Mon 12-Dec-16 19:36:28

No thank you ?

Greyduster Mon 12-Dec-16 19:39:29

The first time I had squid it was like eating rubber bands. I never wanted to eat it again until I went to a Chinese restaurant for my 60th birthday and GS ordered it. It was absolutely delicious; not in rings but in delicately cooked (not overcooked) pieces. I ordered fritto misto recently at a restaurant and that had some very nice squid in it. I don't care for the tentacles though! Can't see it ever making a take over though!

Jalima Mon 12-Dec-16 20:10:14

I've only eaten it in Spain and it was horrible.

No thank you, I hope I can still buy cod and chips!

Charleygirl Mon 12-Dec-16 20:16:16

I agree tanith, rubbery, chewy and tasteless. I am not a fan of cod either, I prefer haddock.

GrandmaMoira Mon 12-Dec-16 21:01:35

I'm not too keen on squid. My first taste was in Spain and it was awful, like eating rubbber bands. I've had it more recently in mixed seafood and it's OK but I'd much rather have cod.

vampirequeen Mon 12-Dec-16 21:14:40

No other fish can beat a properly cooked plate of cod and chips

Pittcity Mon 12-Dec-16 21:18:26

I prefer plaice myself but I do like squid too. Not with chips and mushy peas though. Squid belongs in pasta or a paella.

gillybob Mon 12-Dec-16 21:28:23

I love Calamari and Cod in equal measures. I often buy mixed seafood which includes calamari and I use it for Paella. Delicious. I am not a fan of battered cod but I do like it poached or baked and it's delicious in a Frittata.

tanith Mon 12-Dec-16 21:44:26

Strange isn't that some find it delicious and I can't imagine why when to me its tasteless but I suppose it would be a boring old world if we all liked the same things. Last time I had it in a beach side seafood restaurant that was extremely well thought of by those I was with and someone ordered a mixed platter to share and the Calamari was in strips with tentacles and it was very dark purple/blue it looked horrible and tasted horrible.
I do hope Cod doesn't disappear from our Chip shops anytime soon.

JessM Mon 12-Dec-16 21:45:21

Neither of them actually have much taste do they. That's why they need batter, salt, vinegar etc

rosesarered Mon 12-Dec-16 21:45:37

Haddock and cod for me. ?

JackyB Tue 13-Dec-16 06:49:01

www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38265395

Is this the reason you asked Tanith?

Nana3 Tue 13-Dec-16 07:01:04

I'm with gillybob both are delicious cooked well, not overdone and with a little seasoning and lots of lemon.

thatbags Tue 13-Dec-16 08:25:02

I read this thread title as Calamari V God. Then I realised.

I ate masses of squid, usually with fried rice and other seafoods, when I was working in Thailand. It was fantastic: tasty, fresh and not chewy. Calamari one gets here is rubbish compared with it so I've hardly eaten any since I came back.

tanith Tue 13-Dec-16 08:51:58

I saw a piece on breakfast tv which prompted my question. It's never going to replace cod in our house .

TriciaF Tue 13-Dec-16 08:58:43

I've never tasted calamari, and I've gone off cod and haddock lately - too bland. My favourite white fish is Nile perch - I don't know if you can get it in the UK? It's not expensive, I think it's farmed.

Greyduster Tue 13-Dec-16 09:19:56

I'm sure you must be able to get just about every sort of fish these days, Tricia. Last time I was in our market hall there was a fish stall with several large (and I do mean large!) golden carp on the slab, along with some species I didn't recognise at all, so it would seem that, when it comes to fish, the world is your oyster - or squid!

annodomini Tue 13-Dec-16 09:22:41

Haddock's my favourite. I probably got a poor impression of calamari, but it felt like chewing a thick rubber band.

Lona Tue 13-Dec-16 09:28:58

Seabass for me but I do like baby squid, properly cooked it's delicious.
I find cod tasteless and I'm not keen on the texture.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 13-Dec-16 09:44:46

Yes we read this too www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/fish-and-chips-squid-cod-haddock-global-warming-warmer-seawater-chip-shops-a7469836.html

Though we like plaice best!

Greyduster Tue 13-Dec-16 10:26:29

there are a lot of problems other than warming of sea waters that threaten our salt water fish stocks - not least among them the way in which they are fished. There are still too many "casualties" - fish too small to be kept which get trapped in trawl nets and inevitably go back into the sea dead or dying. Even with larger net sizes, an undersized fish trapped in the middle of a full net stands no chance of escaping to grow on. If fish fryers do lose species like cod and haddock, they may fall back on fresh water species like Vietnamese river cobbler or farmed rainbow trout.Who knows! Then I would give up eating fish and chips altogether.

Elssa21 Tue 13-Dec-16 10:46:42

The secret with squid is you either cook it from raw, (never buy pre cooked) very quickly or for a long time. Any inbetween results in tasteless rubber bands. We eat it regularly and really enjoy it.

goose1964 Tue 13-Dec-16 10:50:21

I love squid, octopus & cuttlefish it's rubbery if not cooked correctly it either has to be flash fried ( just until it goes opaque) or slowly stewed

icanhandthemback Tue 13-Dec-16 11:05:18

I love Calamari and would happily choose it over cod.