Gransnet forums

Food

New Year salad shortage

(29 Posts)
DaphneBroon Fri 23-Dec-16 07:18:13

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/22/blow-new-year-diets-salad-shortage-threatens-strike-supermarkets/

I am devastated, will have to finish up the cheese, the mince pies and the puds instead oh and the ???tchgrin

Anya Fri 23-Dec-16 07:30:36

Thanks for the warning. I'll go out and buy up all available supplies before word spreads.

Charleygirl Fri 23-Dec-16 08:03:09

Too cold for me- I prefer hot food.

kittylester Fri 23-Dec-16 08:09:09

Actually, I was hoping to buy vast amounts of salad on Tuesday to serve with a pasta bake. If there is none to be had, Anya, could I borrow some of yours?

nanaK54 Fri 23-Dec-16 08:09:14

I'm seriously worried - not!

Greyduster Fri 23-Dec-16 08:49:24

'Let them eat cake'! hmm

Nelliemoser Fri 23-Dec-16 08:56:31

Just wait until we no longer have EU labour to pick the salad & vegetable crops. The brits don't seem to want the work.

I love my salads but it is no use stock piling them anyway as they have a very short shelf life.

loopylou Fri 23-Dec-16 09:50:49

I'll wait and see, panic buying will be a waste of money in my opinion as it doesn't last long.
I'm sure there will be plenty to go around despite the gloom and doom ?

radicalnan Fri 23-Dec-16 10:01:08

As a fat girl the salad crisis will not affect me.now if pies were in short supply....................sad

allule Fri 23-Dec-16 10:18:26

I usually put salad out for appearance, as it rarely gets eaten. I shall look out for some plastic lettuce.

Anya Fri 23-Dec-16 10:19:54

Sorry Kitty it's all mine tchgrin

Anya Fri 23-Dec-16 10:20:25

Grow your own Nellie

Anya Fri 23-Dec-16 10:27:30

Let me rephrase that 'Grow your own, Nellie.'

Swanny Fri 23-Dec-16 10:39:06

Nelliemoser Just wait until we no longer have EU labour to pick the salad & vegetable crops. The brits don't seem to want the work.

The Brits DO want the work but they need more money to survive than many eu immigrants will accept. If there is cheap labour available the growers will use it as it increases their profits and sales.

Teetime Fri 23-Dec-16 10:44:03

Winter salad then- cabbage, carrot, etc etc lots of other things to put in salad.

Ana Fri 23-Dec-16 10:59:20

BTW, what happened to the predicted sprout shortage? There are still mountains of them in the shops round here!

Janet14 Fri 23-Dec-16 11:01:22

How did this light hearted comment become another whinge about Brexit? Grow up and move on!

Lewlew Fri 23-Dec-16 11:36:12

Yes, sprouts everywhere... after I took a family census that they are just as happy with broccoli and cauliflower cheese this year. Maybe it was a cauli-conspiracy about the sprouts shortage! tchgrin

sluttygran Fri 23-Dec-16 12:09:53

You'll all have to eat extra sprouts. I think the resulting increase in atmospheric methane may well contribute to global warming!
Re the Brexit problems. As far as I am aware, there has been no mass return of immigrant workers to their own countries - they are still out there slaving away in the fields on starvation wages. However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we are told that British workers are now being employed at very high wages and that consequently our veg will cost at least ten times more.

joannewton46 Fri 23-Dec-16 12:39:23

Bulk buy now and CREATE the New Year shortage!

grandMattie Fri 23-Dec-16 12:51:00

yesss jo46
prefer salad to cooked veges...

VIOLETTE Fri 23-Dec-16 13:56:26

Plenty here so far ....both brussles (shame !) and salad ...good ! Just had a lovely fresh salad and boursin for lunch ....have to eat it when it is fresh as other half hates salad ! Also make coleslaw fresh cabbage, carrots, etc etc ...did try a recipe in Robert Carrier's cookbook using red cabbage and lots of other things ...but prefer the white cabbage version I eat bowlfuls of it ...and make himself bubble n squeak with the rest of the cabbage so he stays happy (well, as happy as he ever is ......hates Christmas, hasn't spoken to me for three days ! looking good for a quiet Christmas ...just me in the dining room with my Christmas dinner, Carols and tree lit ..him in the conservatory with his dinner on his lap ...!) LOVELY ! Might even go mad and have a glass of wine ! wine

Merry Christmas everyone !

annifrance Fri 23-Dec-16 14:32:33

Grow my own except sprouts. Just been around all the stalls in the market and three supermarkets and not a sprout in sight. There' s a Sprout Weevil apparently. I am nt unhappy but was hoping to do full on English Christmas for German friends. Heyho.

Anya Fri 23-Dec-16 15:08:48

That's because Violette has bought them all up.

one of my hens is called Violette

Ankers Fri 23-Dec-16 15:16:04

I remember reading there was going to be a plastic glove shortage some years ago[I kid you not].
I happened to be about to need some more, so went and bought some.
Then I kept an eye on supplies in shops[nothing better to do tchgrin]. Was there a shortage? Of course there wasn't! [though having written all that, I realise just how priviliged we are].