Gransnet forums

Food

Seasoning

(18 Posts)
ninathenana Wed 28-Dec-16 18:29:05

The only thing I add salt to at the table is chips or eggs. D's SO who has been living with us for a few weeks now, adds salt and pepper to almost everything I cook before he's even tasted it tchangry spag bol last night and turkey stew tonight for instance. He bought himself a salt and pepper grinder as I only keep table salt and ground white pepper.
If it's not to his taste fine, but at least try it first !

tanith Wed 28-Dec-16 18:58:09

My OH used to put salt on everything and it took me a long while to get him to see it was just a habit not because he wanted/needed it. I don't salt anything as we both have high BP and although he does use salt its only occasionally on chips or mash..

Greyduster Wed 28-Dec-16 19:18:12

DH is a terror for putting salt on his food; I frequently have to wrestle the salt cellar off him and he also commits this culinary atrocity before he has put a fork in his mouth which annoys me intensely. I am sparing with salt when cooking. A little in potatoes, but very little else.

cornergran Thu 29-Dec-16 08:52:51

I'm with you nina, no problem with anyone adding anything to a meal - as long as they taste it first. It's just a habit I guess, but oh so irritating.

Anya Thu 29-Dec-16 09:17:01

Don't let it get to you nina or it could cause friction. Just ignore it.

Teetime Thu 29-Dec-16 09:42:08

I never use salt in cooking or at the table and haven't done for years - both of us are treated for hypertension so we avoid salt and processed foods which are often highly salted and have got used to our food being flavoured with herbs, spices and ground black pepper. However I keep a sea salt grinder for guests but I find fewer an fewer people are adding salt to their food at the table.

felice Thu 29-Dec-16 11:15:58

DBF once had a lodger who put Ketchup on everything, said he could not eat food without it.
It quite upset me at times, I remember making a very nice meal once with a sauce which took over an hour and before he even tried it he smothered the entire plate in ketchup.
He also had never sat at a table to eat except in places like MacDonalds'. He used to avoid our dinner parties as he did not know how to use a knife and fork properly. We used to persuade him to stay but he just went out and came home after the meal was over.
He was in a really great job but we had to ask ourselves about his home life growing up.

kittylester Thu 29-Dec-16 12:00:34

I'm sad for your friend's lodger to feel so uncomfortable, feline!

Having said that, DS2 has a friend who always adds ketchup to roast meat and gravy. He is not at all uncomfortable though.

LadyGracie Thu 29-Dec-16 12:24:26

My OH puts salt on his food before tasting it. My father used to put have a salt cellar on his before mixing his food to a pulp. Not pleasant!

chelseababy Thu 29-Dec-16 13:47:18

My ex used to have picalili with his roast dinner. I think adding salt before tasting isca habit, OHs add does it.

chloe1984 Thu 29-Dec-16 14:07:36

My husband would add brown sauce to every meal if I let him - and not just a teaspoon either.

BlueBelle Thu 29-Dec-16 15:26:13

My grandson has ketchup on everything roasts, curries, literally everything
I put pepper and salt on most things too and need my food quite spiced up most food I am given seems under salted to my personal taste so guess I m in the add camp I would taste it first though

Christinefrance Thu 29-Dec-16 15:47:47

I like salt on my food but would always taste first to see if it was necessary. I bought a bacon roll at the airport recently, took one bite and found ketchup had been added. I took it back saying I had not asked for ketchup only to be told it was added as a matter of course as everyone liked it - no they don't.

Mumsy Thu 29-Dec-16 16:21:25

My late husband put ketchup on all his meals, even in a posh restaurant he would ask for ketchup! He used to carry sachets of ketchup in his wallet in case there wasnt any available! lol

ninathenana Thu 29-Dec-16 17:11:59

Anya there are lots of things about him that I have to "let wash" tchgrin
I certainly wouldn't say anything except to H in private.
I'm sure there are things about me that irritate him but I don't care tchsmile he's living here rent and expenses free so tough !

Anya Thu 29-Dec-16 18:28:03

Do I detect that your are unhappy with this arrangement Nina?

Can't say I blame you. Why is he living at your expense? confused

Ana Thu 29-Dec-16 18:30:28

It honestly wouldn't bother me at all if anyone did that! Just goes to show how different we all are.. grin

Jalima Thu 29-Dec-16 19:14:58

It wouldn't bother me either, I'd just think that they like a lot of salt - everyone has different tastes.
And it has to be properly ground pepper!
A 98 year old I know puts piles of salt on the side of his plate and uses it all, and about 5 spoons of sugar in his tea as did our auntie who died at 99.