Gransnet forums

Food

WARNING: Rice with heavy metals

(35 Posts)
LuckyDucky Mon 13-Feb-17 23:16:50

Heard about heavy metals and arsenic in rice?

I found a US Food Standards Agency site; it was informative and included a map, showing highest contaminated areas. As cotton wasn't a food source, the farmers in those days were indiscriminate.

Where do these cancerous elements finish? The grain angry The site advised only to buy basmati and to *avoid black
and brown rice*, as they are more carcinogenic.

The advised to only buy US basmati rice from California and/or Pakistan. They included India, but having probed further, I found China and India also have carcinogenic basmati.

Then came the cooking advice, which I'll pass on, despite risking indignant responses.

(Sigh) Fill a large pan with water; agitate the grains.
When the water is milky, pop rice into sieve.
Wash out pan add rice and repeat process.
For the third time, wash out pan, add rice and sufficient water so each grain dances when boiled.

I think I'll learn how to cook Bobotie. I bet one of you well-travelled posters will have cooked or eaten it in South Africa.

Anyone else flummoxed by the news? For us, it's been an unpleasant revelation*

Anya Wed 15-Feb-17 12:14:06

Whatever.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 15-Feb-17 12:22:08

It's worse than that, M0nica, life is a sexually transmitted condition which is invariable fatal grin.

M0nica Thu 16-Feb-17 12:43:33

Your right Wheniwasourage. I think the full phrase is '“Life is a terminal disease, and it is sexually transmitted.”.It's author is John Cleese!

LuckyDucky Fri 17-Feb-17 12:26:59

What lurks beneath our feet: I still intend

I watched and listened to a Geologist advice on TV, advising property buyers to be aware of the soi9l structure. He was standing to one side of a sink hole where most a house had fallen into a sink hole. The property had been built on clay.

Our property has been sitting on 2 feet of clay (since the 1920s), so our hope is 2 feet of clay is OK. Did anyone see the broadcast about 2 years ago?

MawBroon Fri 17-Feb-17 12:58:13

Intend (to do ) what luckyducky?

Stansgran Fri 17-Feb-17 14:10:54

My house is built on sand. What's a little bit of arsenic to me when I'll probably slide into the Wear.

Tizliz Fri 17-Feb-17 17:58:48

Soak your rice overnight/during the day then rinse well and it is OK and also comes out fluffier. Always use lots of cooking water and strain when cooked.

Willow500 Sat 18-Feb-17 06:48:13

We were always taught to wash rice well before it was cooked to remove the starch - makes the rice fluffier too. Wonder if the same thing applies to pre-cooked vacuum packs of rice - we buy quite a lot of them.

LuckyDucky Sat 25-Feb-17 21:55:11

Sorry MawBroon, I intend to soak the rice overnight.

Can't do anything about our house; But we'll have a detailed survey on the next smaller property sad We've been here for 40 years, but want to move South where I know
from experience it is warmer. My Mum's tomatoes were always a week ahead of mine smile